Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Options with Video in Dual 2.5 w/ 6800

Options with Video in Dual 2.5 w/ 6800
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 03:14 AM

Hey Everyone,
I use a Dual 2.5 GHz G5, with an nVidia 6800GT inside. My second 20" Cinema Display just arrived and I have been wondering how I can wire some of this...

The 6800 GT has 2 ports, and previously I had a nice television (in a different location in the "studio") hooked into one port, and my 20" ACD in the other port. Now... I have 2 ACD's, and still want to use the TV. I looked at all sorts of splitters, and found just more questions.

There are "splitters" that are actual, powered boxes, retailing for $175-$X,000.
There are "splitters" that are just cables, and those range from $5.99-$99.99

I am wondering, if I got a cable splitter, would the G5 and my graphics card know what to assign each screen? Or would I end up with 2 mirrored ACDs and an independant TV.

I *think* this is the cable that would work (at least what would fit the plugs!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVI-to-Dual-2-DVI-Video-Y-Splitter-Cable-
D2D_W0QQitemZ5840609216QQcategoryZ74939QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
yep.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 03:20 AM

The "just cable" splitters (I call them pin adaptors) require a graphics card/driver that support them. As far as I know you can't arbitrarily split a dual link DVI signal into two single link DVI signals but sending half of the pins one way and the other half the other way.

I think the best way would be to buy an ATi Radeon 9200 PCI Mac.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 03:35 AM

nVidia's website is horrible in regards to the information for Mac cards... I couldn't find anything out except info on their brand new cards. Other websites just say it has dual-link ports, and can drive a 30" ACD...no one talks about running 3 or 4 single-link screens on one however. No one mentions drivers that would support this either.

I see no reason that if it can handle dual-link items, it couldn't handle two single link in each. It would be nice to have both ACDs and a TV up.

Cheapest PCI 9200 Mac Addition I found was $99.99 with additional shipping and insurance. Would really rather pay less...

Anyone have any ideas / recommendations / knowledge?
yep.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl
nVidia's website is horrible in regards to the information for Mac cards...

Duh... that's because the only Mac Geforce cards out there are Apple OEM cards, which means you get support from Apple for them, and Apple's support of them are minimal - Apple provides driver updates and that's about it.

You can't split the dual-link DVI to get two single-link. The dual-link DVI is made to support large displays like the 30" display and that's how the hardware and drivers are set up. If you split the dual-link signal you'd get half of the display on one display and another half of the display on another screen. The card thinks of the dual link connection as one display. We discussed this in another thread in the forum. Put in a PCI video card and you have support for two more monitors.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules