Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 2.5 G5 not starting after

Dual 2.5 G5 not starting after
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 03:59 PM

Feel free to delete Mods, was a simple error with a connection I didn't notice :-/
( Last edited by Tenacious Dyl; Apr 17, 2006 at 11:23 PM. )
yep.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 12:34 AM

Did more tests, would not boot, on any cds, would not firewire mode, nothing. Very bizzare. I ended up opening up the case, and carefully removing all ram, pci-x cards, agp card. I then carefully put each back in, booted, and POOF it worked fine. Perhaps the computer just had gremlins in it... or something was just barely loose. Who knows.... what a scare!
yep.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 04:54 AM

Does the new silencer add any weight to the video card? This might affect things.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 12:14 PM

Altair... It does add a significant amount of weight. I don't recall the figure, but I read on a review sight somewhere that in almost increases the graphics card's weight by about 50% or more.

Last night I took everything out of the g5, ram, card, other pci-cards, etc... dusted her out, and reset the FPU, then put it all (carefully) back in. Reset the PRAM on first boot, and it worked!! My guess is that there was an incomplete connection somewhere, maybe because of the weight even? But things are well now... Thanks!
yep.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 09:25 AM

Wow, that was lucky. I had a similar thing happen recently with some very hard to replace gear. Gave me the shock of my life. But opened it up, check the connections, and tried again and it worked. I have no idea what it was.

Probably the graphics card was not seated properly.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules