Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple: OS X 10.0.4 coming next week!

Apple: OS X 10.0.4 coming next week!
splitkitten44
Jun 7, 2001, 11:10 AM

A couple of Apple representatives confirmed that sometime during next week a 10.0.4 update would be available. This was said during a Mac OS X developer demo/showcase in southern Sweden yesterday. They also said that in late June an update for OS X Server would be released featuring the new stuff and fixes in 10.0.4.

Thought you guys wanted to know.

Sorry, no specific details as whats been fixed or added were given.

/Jon

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 11:14 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.
Be happy.

<HelpingHand>
Jun 7, 2001, 11:26 AM

I would look for a Classic update, ATIRage128/ATIRage6/GeForece2 display support, USB update, timezone update, and some sort of DVD update. DO NOT GET EXCITED ABOUT DVD. I believe it is only the ability to burn CDs to the "SuperDrive". No real DVD playback support.

You don't know who told you this.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2001, 11:28 AM

Ditto--no more need for speculation. It arrives when it arrives. Most of us who are complaining/excited about a new OS update have lived with 10.0.3 for 2-3 weeks now, so a bit longer isn't gonna hurt anyone.

Neo.cmg

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 12:09 PM

Who cares , I haven't even clicked my Software update button once today

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2001, 12:19 PM

Actually, I can confirm that the update will at least be available sometime this month. TechNotes for the updated version are already up, and while they don't specify the exact release date they do confirm June 2001. Here's a link.

Whether it'll be out next week, I don't know. But that's for another thread anyway.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

adamtki
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:25 PM

Do you realize how close MWNY is? What's the point in releasing an update if one's coming around in a few weeks?
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>Actually, I can confirm that the update will at least be available sometime this month. TechNotes for the updated version are already up, and while they don't specify the exact release date they do confirm June 2001. Here's a link.

Whether it'll be out next week, I don't know. But that's for another thread anyway.</STRONG>
Actually, that is not the updater for a system. That is an another language version CD which Apple introduced before.
Those two CDs cannot installed in a same partition... Is this mean that I can't use other eight languages on the ENGLISH version of OS X?
Well,, if so, I will be very sad. I wanna use Korean langauge on an English version, but seems not possible?
Anyone has any idea about this?

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 12:37 PM

I am now getting a little frustrated with all these posts about 10.0.4. I want it now, but I hate checking everyday...which I do, because of its seemingly imminent release schedule. Who cares now, I am sure it will get released soon...before I pay off my computer, LOL now that feels like forever.

BTW, thanks for the new info. I hope your right.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: wr11 ]

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 12:47 PM

Someone posted this in www.macrumors.com,
-----------------------
There is a 10.0.4 in beta testing right now. It is mostly bug fixes but seems to have some nice improvments for the system. It did a long "Optimizing System" sequence but its hard to tell if anything is better. Hold your horses I'm sure they will release it once it is tested.
------------------------

and seems not much performance we can get from this updater.
Most of us are seriously looking for an overall performance improvement, so we will be disappointed when it comes out.
We waited and hated to wait for three weeks, so our expectation for the updater is really bigger than three weeks ago...
I think it is better to hold a breath for 10.1 (19th of July?).

asticou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 01:51 PM

Actually, my sources tell me that the update will be available sometime this summer or before Halloween. They didn't specify the exact release date, but they do confirm 2001. I cannot confirm exactly what will be fixed, but they're will be bugs fixes and probably a 14 % to 500 % speed increase.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: asticou ]

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2001, 01:54 PM

Someone wake me when it's posted

<Displayed Name>
Jun 7, 2001, 02:03 PM

I would tend to belive rumors coming from North Europe, since the last time one gut from this region of earth announced something, it was absolutely true: "avaibility of the developer tools with Mac OS X retail"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2001, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by sungwoo:
<STRONG>Someone posted this in www.macrumors.com,
-----------------------
There is a 10.0.4 in beta testing right now. It is mostly bug fixes but seems to have some nice improvments for the system. It did a long "Optimizing System" sequence but its hard to tell if anything is better. Hold your horses I'm sure they will release it once it is tested.
------------------------
</STRONG>
They also posted this:
""Unfortunately due to undisclosed problems the Mac OSX 10.0.5 Update has been delayed. We expect the update to be available to public users by the 6th June at the latest." "

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SYN
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 02:45 PM

according to http://www.macplus.net (french site, not rumors site) the update has been seeded to developpers today.

No further details, just that it's being seeded as we speak.

They're pretty respected in the French mac websites community.

Of course, take that with a grain of salt.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

<steg>
Jun 7, 2001, 02:56 PM

They're pretty respected in the French mac websites community.
and they had the right iBook Specs last time...

pjkim
Jun 7, 2001, 03:01 PM

Millenium wrote:
Actually, I can confirm that the update will at least be available sometime this month. TechNotes for the updated version are already up, and while they don't specify the exact release date they do confirm June 2001. Here's a link.
I read that TIL note and I did not come to the same conclusion that you did. The TIL note states that there are two versions of the OSX installer CD, one released on 3/24 and another in June. My take on this is that the later one incorporates all of the updates released so far, i.e. 10.0.3, language updates, drivers, etc probably for the machines that now ship with OSX. Nowhere is there mention of it incorporating new updates. Nowhere is there mention of a new update being released in June.

Perhaps you are reading too much into the TIL note?

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2001, 03:12 PM

This is <font color = red>great</font> news! I heard that the update's going to be 200% faster. Is anything else known about the update? I bet if we put our heads together, we can figure out <font color = blue>e</font><font color = red>x</font><font color = green>a</font>c<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>y</font> what the update changes.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

<koffedrnkr>
Jun 7, 2001, 03:17 PM

heard from whom.....exactly?

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 03:35 PM

doesn't apple sometimes release updates for different languages at different times (or am I mistaken)?

if they do, and sweden is on tap for next week, might not US English be on tap for this week (don't US English updates occasionally come out first)?

SYN
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 03:40 PM

that's the way it used to be with Classic MacOS, but with OSX, all languages (major ones at least) get the updates at the same time.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by tie:
<STRONG>This is &lt;font color = red&gt;great&lt;/font&gt; news! I heard that the update's going to be 200% faster. Is anything else known about the update? </STRONG>
You heard that from the now dead Appleonlooker that also swore we would be running 10.0.5 last Friday. http://www.appleonlooker.com/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacAttack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 03:43 PM

I think some of us read into these TIL's a little too much. As I read it, the new OS X CD is NOT an update, it's simply the inclusion of additional languages into OS X.

Quoted from the TIL:

"The Mac OS X 10.0 (2Z691-3064) CD offers Mac OS X 10.0 in the following languages:

* Swedish
* Norwegian
* Finnish
* Danish �
* Brazilian-Portuguese
* Korean
* Chinese (Traditional)
* Chinese (Simplified)"

This CD doesn't even include 10.0.3 (notice it says "Mac OS X 10.0"), Apple probably is just relying on the automatic Software Update engine to do its work once the user gets connected to the internet.

And they probably don't want to include 10.0.3 because by the time the CD's are produced and shipped off, a newer update MAY be available.

So, let's stop reading too much between the lines and take something for face value for a change.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2001, 03:44 PM

I wouldn't believe unsubstantiated speed claims. You'll only be bummed out when it gets released and it doesn't meet the expectations raised by rumor.

geran
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by splitkitten44:
<STRONG>A couple of Apple representatives confirmed that sometime during next week a 10.0.4 update would be available. This was said during a Mac OS X developer demo/showcase in southern Sweden yesterday. They also said that in late June an update for OS X Server would be released featuring the new stuff and fixes in 10.0.4.

Thought you guys wanted to know.

Sorry, no specific details as whats been fixed or added were given.

/Jon</STRONG>
What macos x developer demo/showcase. I havent heard of it.

harp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 04:08 PM

I would imagine we'll see some kind of update this month. Jobs said that DVD playback would be implemented by the end of spring. When is the end of spring? The 20th? 21st?

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>according to http://www.macplus.net (french site, not rumors site) the update has been seeded to developpers today.
</STRONG>
ADC Premier Developers do have access (since 6/6) to a 10.0.4 update. This is for testing prior to general release to public. No timeline has been given for public release of update.

---gralem

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 04:44 PM

I think it's totally f**cked that Premiere developers get stuff that Select developers don't in terms of seeds...

Yes they pay more, but nowhere on the ADC site does it say that to get ALL the seeds you have to be Premiere.

Some of us smaller developers can't afford $3500 a year and don't need the extra tech support incidents, etc...

By limiting seeds to the financially elite they are effectively hurting us smaller folk. Bummer.

<AppleOnHooler Staff>
Jun 7, 2001, 04:53 PM

One thing is for sure:

You'll be running 10.0.4 tommorow !

Our sources said so.....

Yours,

the AppleOnH(L)ook(L)er Staff

Professor X
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by &lt;AppleOnHooler Staff&gt;:
<STRONG>One thing is for sure:

You'll be running 10.0.4 tommorow !

Our sources said so.....

Yours,

the AppleOnH(L)ook(L)er Staff</STRONG>
To quote the late 20th century poet Wayne Campbell:
"Sure, and monkeys might fly out of my Butt!!"

-Prof X
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by &lt;AppleOnHooler Staff&gt;:
<STRONG>You'll be running 10.0.4 tommorow !

Our sources said so.....</STRONG>

yeah, sure. Your "sources" are saying this for weeks, gotta come true one day.

whirk
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 06:26 PM

I just hope we'll see DVD support by MWNY at the rate things are going now...

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
<STRONG>I think it's totally f**cked that Premiere developers get stuff that Select developers don't in terms of seeds...

Yes they pay more, but nowhere on the ADC site does it say that to get ALL the seeds you have to be Premiere.

Some of us smaller developers can't afford $3500 a year and don't need the extra tech support incidents, etc...

By limiting seeds to the financially elite they are effectively hurting us smaller folk. Bummer.</STRONG>
Perhaps Apple doesn't want Joe Average getting a $500 select membership and being mailed all the latest, greatest seeds. Perhaps they think someone who paid $3500 is less likely to risk their investment by passing out seeds via Hotline. Or maybe they are simply matching Microsoft's $3500 premier seeding program.

mlknowle
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 07:24 PM

has the build leaked onto Hotline at all? If it hasn't, I think it goes to show that the apple leaks we have seen so far (ie all the pre-GM 10.0.0 builds)

splitkitten44  (op)
Jun 7, 2001, 07:33 PM

geran,

Apple Europe held a Mac OS X seminar yesterday in Lund, Sweden.
The guys from Apple (developer and marketing departments) said that it was going to be released sometime during next week. Unfortunately they didnt say more.

They showcased project builder, the new OS X server and how to remotely administrate it from a client and more juicy stuff.

I consider Apple (even though europe) to be more reliable than Appleonlooker and others.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 08:11 PM

Yeah, the 10.0.0.4 update will be delivered next week by Superman, the Easter Bunny, Big Foot, all riding in Santa's sleigh.

- Steve

p.s. - I just starting using OmniWeb w/ OS X. It's way cool!

Skywalker's left nostril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 09:30 PM

Whatever happened to "10.04 was set to release but they found a last minute bug; hence now we will get 10.05"

Blah, blah, blah

smashedapart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 09:57 PM

Hey all, just wanted to let you all know that I just phoned Ms. Cleo (http://www.mscleo.com) and we had a wonderful talk about my very near future...she revealed to me through her infinite psychic wisdom and patented POWER OF THE TAROT that OS 10.0.4 will be released Friday at approximately 3:04pm CST, it will increase Finder speed by 800% (!), and will come with a new set of desktop pictures, including one which is beige and will soon be revealed as a close-up of Steve Jobs' butt. Ms. Cleo admitted that her tarot cards were getting jumbled at this point, and her crystal ball was growing cloudy. She then went on to reveal that at Macworld July, OS X will be abandoned for OS 9.5 because, and this is a quote here people, "We just can't get those damn labels implemented." - Steve Jobs. Then Steve jumps on a rocketship he calls the iRocket and blasts off to Kwyjibo, home of Kang and Kodos from the Simpsons TV show...which answers another couple of questions: YES, aliens exist, and YES, the Simpsons is based on a real life family. Finally she told me that Microsoft is going to buy Starbucks and, in an attempt to gain more market share, will begin imbedding chips into bits of Biscotti which, when ingested, will cause the McCoffee drinkers to fall madly in love with Bill Gates and all Microsoft products. Ms. Cleo insists this is because Bill wants the same type of following which Steve has always enjoyed. You heard it here first people...scoop of the century.

...man, I should start my own rumor site...
/.smashedapart
---
"Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!"

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 11:05 PM

As I drink my latte and eat my biscotti, I find myself LOL!

Oh no! What's this! I just dumped my new icebook in the trash with my empty cup ... I'm lusting after a 15 pound Dell ... XP is going to revolutionize computing ... Pentium 4 is center of my digital world ...

Aaaaaaaaargh!
Don

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2001, 11:16 PM

The TIL refers to an OS X update that was promised for the end of last week but has not been released yet. My guess is that 10.0.4 does indeed hit on Friday. The 10.0.5 thing was just smoke (as far as I know), the next release will be 10.0.4. It might be the last release before MWNY (but it could be that Apple releases another small update in 2 weeks - MWNY is still 6 weeks away).

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 11:51 PM

I tought a Qwigybo was a North American Ape (Bart was trying to find a real meaning to his false word while playing scrabble... and homer had a banana in his right hand so that's the definition that Bart gave him...)

Oh well
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 01:12 AM

i'm confused, remember when 10.0.1 and some other build got leaked onto the macnn forums? that was cool, and now i'm not noticing any more such leaks. have they clamped down on people posting such things?

prolly.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2001, 01:45 AM

...I heard the 10.0.4 update will enable you to convert your vehicle into an aerospace capsule that runs on methane and it will also allow you to eat what you want without gaining a pound!
(heeeeheeee).

I'll believe it when it is released...

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 01:48 AM

i'm confused, remember when 10.0.1 and some other build got leaked onto the macnn forums? that was cool, and now i'm not noticing any more such leaks. have they clamped down on people posting such things?

prolly.

MacBiXo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 06:34 AM

10.0.4?

...zzzzz...zzzzz...zzzz...

iBook@800
Airport

Costique
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 07:34 AM

Regarding the TIL.
What a freak to release a version of the same OS for every country! How long will we be seeing Mac OS 7.5.2 for UK and US? Go tell which app will work on UK version as fine as on US one? Go download a system component update for a specific country!

Worse yet, Jobs promised that the $%^&* will stop with the advent of OS X. Why the hell should a CD made for Sweden be different from a CD you buy in US? If there are differences, how are developers supposed to track 8 versions of the same buggy OS? I hope the TIL is a sort of misprint.

And stop worrying about 10.0.4 - an update will be out as soon as it's ready, and no sooner. The figure after the second point will not matter.
Make no assumptions

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Costique:
<STRONG>Regarding the TIL.
What a freak to release a version of the same OS for every country! How long will we be seeing Mac OS 7.5.2 for UK and US? Go tell which app will work on UK version as fine as on US one? Go download a system component update for a specific country!

Worse yet, Jobs promised that the $%^&* will stop with the advent of OS X. Why the hell should a CD made for Sweden be different from a CD you buy in US? If there are differences, how are developers supposed to track 8 versions of the same buggy OS? I hope the TIL is a sort of misprint.

And stop worrying about 10.0.4 - an update will be out as soon as it's ready, and no sooner. The figure after the second point will not matter.</STRONG>
Dude -- The new CD includes all the previous languages, PLUS the languages that have just been introduced. The new languages weren't available on the old CD, so they made a new CD that includes the old and the new. Stop getting your panties in a bunch .
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by robotmarkVIII:
<STRONG>i'm confused, remember when 10.0.1 and some other build got leaked onto the macnn forums? that was cool, and now i'm not noticing any more such leaks. have they clamped down on people posting such things?

prolly.</STRONG>
Yeah, I've heard all sorts of rumors re: adc members. Not only is Apple pulling posts from forums because of non-disclosure contract (NDC) violations, but that they've been kicking people out of ADC altogether. I would presume it would take re-circulation of NDC software to get kicked out, but who wants to lose $3500, plus scorn from Apple. If you're a serious developer and want to make ANY money on the Mac platform, you conform.

---gralem

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
<STRONG>

Dude -- The new CD includes all the previous languages, PLUS the languages that have just been introduced. The new languages weren't available on the old CD, so they made a new CD that includes the old and the new. Stop getting your panties in a bunch .</STRONG>
Well, why then does the announcement specifically say that the CD is not for use in the U.S.? It really does sound like some sort of "fork". Will 10.1 bring it all together in one happy CD?

---gralem

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 09:04 AM

I can't stands it no more - I promised myself that I would post about 10.0.4, but from http://www.railheaddesign.com/ :

Not much else is happening around the Mac Community right now (this morning, at least). OS 9.2 is going out with one more seed tomorrow or Saturday, so the Final Candidate *may* be postponed until Thursday or Friday of next week.

The next OS X update is still being kept under tight wraps, and no one's wanting to comment or speculate on when it will arrive � though logic would lead us to believe the next OS X update will be released with OS 9.2 in a couple of weeks. Why? Because OS 9.2 is really being released more for OS X and Classic than it is for OS 9.x.

MANY bugs have been polished out between the two OS's interaction with one another, and most of the polishing was done on the OS 9 side. This being the case, it makes sense that Apple will wait and debut the new OS X update right alongside OS 9.2 as a way to �show off� how much better things are getting for the new OS. Stay tuned�

Makes sense to me - so we will all have to wait - in the meantime I'm having lots of fun with X.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules