Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rosetta quit on MBP

Rosetta quit on MBP
sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 04:14 PM

I was trying to play a WMV a little bit ago, and the app wouldn't open. So I trashed Win Media Player and said some things about Microsoft but then realized that I cannot get any non universal binary apps to open. Pages, Epson scan software, Photoshop, nothing. I tried restarting, no good.
I removed Quicksilver, as I had just installed that, but I'm pretty sure that I installed QS after trashing WMP.
Any Ideas? I do have Boot camp and Win XP Pro installed. If this what I get for putting Windows on my Mac? I have a 2.0 MBP with all original hardware. I tried repairing permissions, and there is a huge list of incorrect permissions that it says it cannot repair.

Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/MailInviteBundle.bundle/Contents/MacOS/MailInviteBundle, reason Operation not permitted

This is a small sample of the disk utility report, it might have listed every application I have. It is a long report.
SAm

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 04:29 PM

Startup from your Mac OS X install CD and run disk utility from there, or try applejack to repair them

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 09:37 PM

I will give that a try in the morning, when I get back to my studio. Thanks.
SAm

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 09:03 AM

Well, it seemed to repair the many incorrect permissions fine but I still am unable to open any applications that use Rosetta. I get a single bounce from the icon in the dock and that's it. I also ran Verify disk while I was booted from the install disk, but that came up clean as well.
Is there any way I could have disabled Rosetta? I dont recall any system changes within a day or so before I noticed this, and I know I was using Pages on Monday.
Still confused.
SAm

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 09:07 AM

Rosetta can not be disabled (afaik).

Open Console.app and see whether you get some message when trying to open a PowerPC application. If it really crashes you might get a crash log in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. Post such a crash log.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 09:12 AM

Ok, here is tha log that appears when I try to open an application with Rosetta. I will post a couple for different apps.

Pages:

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
Referenced from: /Applications/iWork/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Photoshop:

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Thanks for the swift reply, by the way.
SAm

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 09:16 AM

Soory, I just re-read your post and realized that the log I posted was not in the exact path you specified. ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ doesn't seem to have any logs for PPC apps that have crashed.
SAm

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 09:23 AM

Looks like some of your libraries are laking the PPC version. Paste the following into Terminal and post the results here (it will tell us for which architecture it is available):

file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 09:26 AM

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

Is the response I recieved. I assume that since I dont see anything listing a shared library other than i386 that this is the issue?
Thanks again.
SAm

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 09:34 AM

Did you maybe use some tool to strip the PowerPC-part from some of your system libraries and/or applications to save space? Cause those libraries seem to be Intel only and PowerPC is required to run them in Rosetta.

I'd say you will have to do an Archive & Install of the operating system to repair this.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 09:42 AM

SON OF A MONKEY'S BUTT.

You're right. In another thread on this forum someone mentioned Monolingual to save a few GBs of space. I had forgotten all about that. I can do the archive and install, but I also have a clone of my HD that I made two weeks ago. Is it possible to pull the library from there, or is that not enough punishment for my stupid act?
Thanks for all the help,
SAm
( Last edited by sknapp351; Apr 13, 2006 at 09:49 AM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 09:51 AM

Monolingual only strips language packages afaik, so it should not have caused this.

You can do the "file" command thing on the same library on your backup disk and if it says it's for both architectures you might be able to copy it over to repair this (doing so for every library the system complains about in the console log). Doing that might be tricky though due to the permissions stuff, and if the backup is older (the 10.4.6 update isn't two weeks old I think), then I wouldn't do it anyway.

An Archive & Install isn't that much work actually.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 12:28 PM

Holy crap. I have no idea how such a thing would happen (if Monolingual is stripping PPC code out of all binaries on the system automatically, the developer needs to have "I'm a moron" imprinted on his forehead with a branding iron), but an Archive and Install is indeed going to be your best bet. Just boot from the install disc, go through the usual installer, and when the "Options..." button becomes available, click on it and choose Archive and Install. You should be up and running once that completes (don't forget to run Software Update afterward to get all the security updates issued since your disc was printed).

You could pull the libraries manually from your backup, or with Pacifist, but I don't recommend it since if this has happened to every library in the entire system, which it looks like it has, an Archive and Install will take you a lot less time than hunting down each and every one of them, and also it'll be a lot more foolproof (you'll be setting yourself up for lots of really weird problems if you forget a library or two).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks to you all. I will indeed do the archive and install route tonight. I think Monolingual has a few different options to it, and I very well might have though, "hey, I'll try that". This will be only the 2nd time I will have had to reinstall OS X. The last time was my foul up, so I won't put it past me to have had a big hand in this one as well.
Thanks again.
SAm

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 13, 2006, 05:58 PM

Seems Monolingual http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ has the option to remove architectures.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
Seems Monolingual http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ has the option to remove architectures.
And there are plenty of complaints on the bug tracker about it breaking Rosetta too, so that was the problem, all right.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid...24&func=browse

What were these guys thinking?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2006, 09:24 PM

That people who didn't want to strip PowerPC code wouldn't choose the option to do so?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
That people who didn't want to strip PowerPC code wouldn't choose the option to do so?
Except:

1. The default option is to strip all PowerPC code from everything

2. It's in no way made clear that this will strip the entire OS and not just the apps

3. The people who run this are probably just intending to save some hard disk space by deleting some stuff that the author of Monolingual has assured them is "unneeded", not hose the entire Rosetta emulation (which again, is the default option)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2006, 01:28 AM

Ah, I missed that stripping PowerPC was the default. That is kind of mad.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2006, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Ah, I missed that stripping PowerPC was the default. That is kind of mad.
Yep, the "Architectures" tab defaults to stripping all of whatever is not the native architecture. On PPC, it strips Intel by default. On Intel, it strips PowerPC by default.

To make things even weirder, on my PowerPC mac it defaults to stripping out PPC64 code in addition to Intel... even though my Mac is a G5.

Anyway, I just wrote this review on MacUpdate:

This is a great program for deleting needed files and hosing your OS X installation. It's not strictly needed, though, since you could accomplish much the same effect by dragging your /System directory to the Trash and entering the admin password.

In all seriousness, beware of this utility. By default, it removes all architectures other than your machine's native architecture. This means that on an Intel Mac, it will delete all PowerPC code from universal binaries. Now, you might think this would only apply to applications on your system. You'd be wrong. This program will strip the PowerPC code from *all* universal binaries on your system, including all the system libraries and frameworks. The problem with this is that for PowerPC-only apps to run in Rosetta, they *need* the PowerPC code in those libraries and frameworks.

The upshot of this is that THIS APPLICATION WILL PREVENT ROSETTA FROM WORKING AT ALL until you do an Archive and Install.

For this reason, I would recommend against using this highly dangerous app. Messing with the system is a very risky thing to do. Sometimes those "unneeded" files aren't as unneeded as they appeared at first glance...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sknapp351
This will be only the 2nd time I will have had to reinstall OS X.
Basically what happened here is that Monolingual downright damaged your system. You can't blame this on the OS or Apple. It's a Monolingual bug.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2006, 08:47 AM

Oh, I dont blame Apple or OS X in the least. I was trying to get across that the only two times I have ever had to reinstall were both my fault. Both times I was playing around with utilities I didn't really need to be playing with. I have had more than my share of hardware issues, but I've had naught but good times wih OS X.
SAm

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2006, 10:10 PM

Archive and Install fixed me right up. I didn't realize how easy that was to do.
Thanks again to all.
SAm

dmcnickle
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 09:23 PM

This thread helped me alot from pulling all my hair out wondering why some of the installers for my applications would not launch.

I have a new MacBook Pro and have been happily installing my applications. I ran monolingual and then i could not install some of the applications because the installer would not launch. I thought it was an intel mac thing and have been searching for answers.
When this thread mentioned Rosetta being messed up because of monolingual I tried to launch Photoshop and sure enough, it wouldn't launch.

I am going to archieve and install my system again to solve the problem

Thank you to everyone.

CJ78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Looks like some of your libraries are laking the PPC version. Paste the following into Terminal and post the results here (it will tell us for which architecture it is available):

file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
I tried this too, and my MacBook Pro shows both libs as being installed, yet I cannot launch certain Rosetta apps like CS2 among others, while some like Word still run fine? I just started looking around about this tonight, so I'm a bit new to the issue because I just tried using CS2 today after a long while. Here's the weird thing...

I've tried the 'killall' command, I've archived and reinstalled, and erased and reinstalled and tried to run CS2 under 10.4.7 and .8 with no change. The icon bounces once and disappears. I've also taken out the extra RAM as a test of that. I mean, what the heck?! ...and I haven't run Monolingual.

I sure hope someone has an idea to help us out.

Thanx.
--MPB2.16 with 2GB RAM, 7200rpm 100GB HD, and an egg frier on the bottom side.
--Mini 1.66CDuo with 2GB RAM, 2TB, and 23in. Cinema

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2006, 04:17 AM

Is there anything showing up in Console.app when you try to launch CS2?

Forum Links
Forum Rules