Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook and 20" Cinema Display

TiBook and 20" Cinema Display
iMan
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 04:50 PM

I have a 1 GHz TiBook that I love dearly and I am thinking about buying the 20" Cinema display and the DVI to ADC adapter for it. I am just wondering whether or not the TiBook fits between the legs of the 20" Cinema Display.

Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 05:32 PM

Do you want to run it "clamshell" ?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

iMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Do you want to run it "clamshell" ?

Yes.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

iPod 30 GB

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 11:35 AM

Saw it on display in an Apple Store that way once.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

velodev
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 11:41 AM

Time out... I must be reading things...

an Apple Store put a TiBook in clamshell? Doesn't Apple say they do not support the hack to run clamshell?

That would be similar to having their iBooks running higher than 1024x768 on display for retail sale. I just can't see that... which Apple Store was this?

Most of the noobs working at our local Apple Store wouldn't know how to hack clamshell or iBook spanning.

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 12:02 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, running a TiBook in clamshell mode is fully supported. I ran a TiBook in clamshell mode for months at a time, connected to a 21" CRT.

The last Powerbook model to not support clamshell mode was the Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" model, which vented heat through the keyboard. Since the Lombard model, there have been other vents on the system, and clamshell mode was supported.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 03:46 PM

I run a 12 in PowerBook with the lid closed on a 19 in Lacie CRT monitor. It's not hack.

velodev
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 05:43 PM

I stand corrected and educated.

Gracias.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
Time out... I must be reading things...

an Apple Store put a TiBook in clamshell? Doesn't Apple say they do not support the hack to run clamshell?

That would be similar to having their iBooks running higher than 1024x768 on display for retail sale. I just can't see that... which Apple Store was this?

Most of the noobs working at our local Apple Store wouldn't know how to hack clamshell or iBook spanning.
You seem to be referring to the iBook here. All powerbooks can run in spanning and clamshell mode as well as mirroring.

Anyways, I'm about to pick up a 20" as well and was wondering the same thing. Anybody got a picture?

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Sorry.

iMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 08:08 PM

I ran through all the pages of the PowerBook picture forum. I saw a 12" that fit in between the legs of the 20" but nothing involving a TiBook.

Someone here has to have a TiBook and a 20" or know someone who has one or the other.

Or if you can measure the width inside the 20" legs. I got a TiBook I know how wide it is.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

iPod 30 GB

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by iMan:
I ran through all the pages of the PowerBook picture forum. I saw a 12" that fit in between the legs of the 20" but nothing involving a TiBook.

Someone here has to have a TiBook and a 20" or know someone who has one or the other.

Or if you can measure the width inside the 20" legs. I got a TiBook I know how wide it is.
I'm taking my TiBook in for repairs tomorrow or friday. I'll just walk over to the 20 inch and see if it fits. Let you know later.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2004, 01:18 PM

I used to use a TiBook and a 22" Cinema. Fits quite nicely between the monitor's legs (hmm... sounds a little sexual, doesn't it).

Yeah, baby. 15" of titanium between your legs.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2004, 09:48 PM

It fits! I just took my TiBook in for repairs, and before I sent it off I slid it between her legs a few times.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 01:13 AM

I'm sure they designed the display to fit the powerbook 15" underneath, that was its main purpose. anyone know why its called clamshell mode and not closed lid mode? it keeps making me think of the clamshell ibooks.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules