Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Finally picked up my new MacG4, need new speakers now!

Finally picked up my new MacG4, need new speakers now!
lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2002, 12:16 AM

After waiting for a week and a half for my G4 800mhz and LaCie monitor to come in, I finally got to pick it up this morning! Boy did I have fun opening it all up, like having Christmas in March!!! But only had about 15min to play with it before I had to go to school... Anyways... after I put everything together, booted it up, I remembered I forgot to hook my stereo to it and thats when I reliazed that the regular jack doesn�t fit into the speaker input cuz Mac uses mini jacks... Grrrrr!!!! also discovered that theres no printer port, so gotta get usb cable for my printer and perhaps a usb hub too... just wondering if anyone here have any suggestions on what kind of speaker and sub combo to get.. besides mac speakers..
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 12:38 AM

Well, the G4 has both mini-stereo (standard 1/8") and the apple mini-jack. I don't see why you couldn't hook up your stereo with a standard adapter...I've got my stereo routed into my mac without any problems

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: JayTi ]
Am I still here?

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 01:06 AM

Welcome to the mac world. I use the Monsoon speakers with my G4 - has a powered sub and sounds awesome. You can pick them up for 89-299$ at CompUSA - depending upon model.

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2002, 01:50 AM

Do you mean you have yours connected into your headphone jack?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

raferx
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 01:54 AM

They are the source of much debate... but, I love my Apple Pro Speakers, buck for buck, they have the nicest depth, range and both treble, and bass response of any other mini speaker set-up I tried.
Cheers,
raferx

Rob Huigsloot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by lunaticbunny:
<STRONG>Do you mean you have yours connected into your headphone jack?</STRONG>
Either that or in a Griffin iMic.

For speakers Logitech Z-560, not too xpensive and great sound.

T u r b o
Mar 29, 2002, 05:53 AM

Definitely go with some monsoon speakers. They're flat speakers, using a technology called planar-magnetic. These are by far the best "computer speakers" available on the market. They come with a nice sub.

The imaging is great, and the sound is similar to the $3k martin logans in our home theater (though, obviously, they don't fill nearly as much space ).

- Mike

nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 07:12 AM

Without a doubt, either the Monsoon M-700 or M-1000. I have the iM-700 which have a graphite, transparent finish to the speakers.

Remarkable speakers. www.monsoonpower.com/

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2002, 08:58 AM

I have the Monsoon M-1000s with my G4 and I must say that dollar for dollar there is not a better multimedia speaker.

stumper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 09:47 AM

<STRONG>just wondering if anyone here have any suggestions on what kind of speaker and sub combo to get.. besides mac speakers.. </STRONG>
Another vote for Monsoons...

I have been known to spend lots of money on esoteric hi-fi gear (and as a result, my wife has been know to beat me severely on occasion :-) and I needed a solution that would allow me to enjoy my music when my 10 mo. old daughter is in bed.

The M702's fill my home office VERY nicely. In fact, they would probably fill a considerably larger room. I've seen them hooked up directly to iPods and they sound amazing, even in a decent size retail area.

Good soundstaging, imaging, and clarity with tight, controlled base. Amazing, actually, for a computer speaker. I have yet to find anything close. You can get some sweet bargains if you're willing to net-shop/mail order.

best of luck.

The Stumper
"If you don't like someone, spend a day in their shoes. If you still don't like them, you're miles away and you have their shoes..."

TimTimTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2002, 09:47 AM

I have the Monsoon M-1000 speakers as well. They are awesome and work just fine with my Dual G4. Try them out, you won't be sorry!

-Tim

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 01:19 PM

I'm happy with my SoundSticks....love em!

Leonis
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 01:19 PM

This is the one I have

web page

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2002, 01:53 PM

Get Monsoons!
~Peace~

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 01:56 PM

yes, I hooked them into the speaker output (headset - minijack) on the back of the G4 tower. Ironically enough, these speakers have been sitting attached to a Compaq that I've had for over a year (they came with the system). I never used the Compaq for much of anything (it's for the kids) and never really used the speakers. I took the speakers that came with my Cube and stuck them on the USB port on the back of the ACD and used them for a few months. And then decided I needed sound in my my studio (where the cube is located), so began the search for speakers for the G4. I was at CompUSA and the guy was raving about the benefits of the Monsoon speakers and I realized I had a set at home gathering dust...!

They sound awesome - much, much, much better than the Cube speakers, but that's probably partially due to the sub.

:-&gt;

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2002, 05:02 PM

<STRONG>just wondering if anyone here have any suggestions on what kind of speaker and sub combo to get.. besides mac speakers.. </STRONG>
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system yet. Very nice, but somewhat expensive. If Macs had multi-channel support, I'd recommend the 4.1 or 5.1 Klipsch system, but alas.

turboSPE

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2002, 07:14 PM

You can buy a soundblaster or midiman card with 5.1 output, and the isub is great with pro speakers (much better for bass response then soundsticks for some reason)

I love my pro speaker setup, especially with the isub. Very powerful and better treble then any other speakers I normally use (including 300w stereo, etc )
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 07:37 PM

Klipsch are amazing--They're just a tad on the "big" size...otherwise they're the best hands-down.
Am I still here?

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 08:18 PM

Another vote for Klipsch. Best things out there! I've got the 2.1 THX system. Picked it up at Best Buy for like $179. Just unbelievable sound. Best deal out there if you ask me.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 11:50 PM

I have the Monsoon iM-700 I would highly reccomend them or there brothers.
go for the klipsch or Monsoons.

AND, hook them up to the headphone jack, although the new monsoons have usb support, stick with the good old analog port. The bass on the monsoons is great and even with the flat speaker they sound awesome!

P.D.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2002, 12:04 AM

I am surprised no one had given props to cambridge Sound Works. They have a great line of multimedia speakers, ranging from 30 buck all the way up to 400, My personal favorite are the DTS3500 series, they have a DD and DTS decoder built right into it, so all you have to do is hook up an optical DVD player (did someone say PS2) and you got 5.1 surround sound. It also takes mini so I can hook up my G4 to them as well. the best feature that I saw was a sub woofer out put, if you wanted to go all out and get a really nice sub to go along with the decent one that they provide. All of this for only 279 on sale. You can't get a home thearter that small for that price.
Right now I have their Digital version of the 2.1 with a SPDIF inputs on the they sound great better then my stereo with over 4 times the power, the bass is suprebe.

My two cents is, Go with cambridge sound works, or at least hear what they sound like before you spend the 150-400 that you might spend.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

iMan
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2002, 12:07 AM

Hello,

I have the Monsoon MM-1000's on my G4 and they are fabulous! You can't find anything much better. If for some reason you don't want to go for the Moonsoons, I would also recommend Cambridge Soundworks speakers.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2002, 03:11 AM

I'm used to cheap speakers, and moved from a pair of cambridge/creative cheapo speakers to my pro speaker setup, and personally, I LOVE IT!

I have to say this yet again (yes crazy) but IMO the pro speaker +isub sounds much like a decent 80-100 watt stereo since they're engineered so well

And they're beautiful too, who ever had a subwoofer that looked like a giant DOTS candy?

Btw: if you want to plug your stereo into your mac, get one of these:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/triangle...ot35minst.html

(just dont use the video cable)

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Mac Zealot ]
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cipher13
Mar 30, 2002, 05:51 AM

www.bostonacoustics.com

Nothing compares.

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2002, 06:19 AM

thanks for all the responses!

i went to go checkout some speaker/sub setups today... boy it's a lot of money for something so small... i'm use to having big speakers and big subs, cuz that's what i got in my car and the home theatre... but i actually really like the altec lansing acs33, pretty good sound and only 59bux cdn...
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2002, 08:18 PM

Topic: speakers
Forum: Peripherals

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2002, 12:33 AM

<STRONG>thanks for all the responses!

i went to go checkout some speaker/sub setups today... boy it's a lot of money for something so small... i'm use to having big speakers and big subs, cuz that's what i got in my car and the home theatre... but i actually really like the altec lansing acs33, pretty good sound and only 59bux cdn...</STRONG>
But the adapter I showed you was only $5! :'(

mathew_m
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 12:17 PM

I own a pair of Swan M200 multi-media speakers that are now sounding great. WWW.AV123.com just lowered the price on these to $199 from 299. Warning, they are almost as large as standard bookshelf speakers. They also are very dynamic, enough to easily fill a medium sized room. They have an integrated amp and come with all the interconnects that you need. The fit and finish on them is also very high quality, think Sonus Faber (Itallian high-end speaker company). Again pretty nice speakers for the price if you have the space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules