Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wanting to connect automatically and disable SSID Broadcast

Wanting to connect automatically and disable SSID Broadcast
apostacy
Jul 19, 2005, 09:45 PM

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router that my iBook is having problems working with. It's running OS X 10.2.8. Right now I have it set to Join a Specific Network when it wakes from sleep, but I have to manually select my network from the Airport Card's status menu in the menubar after waking it up.

More importantly, I want to disable my SSID broadcasting, but when I do this, my iBook just doesn't connect. Even when I have keychain hold on the password, when I try to go out on Safari, it gives me the "Website ____ isn't available" (or whatever the message is when you aren't connected to the internet).

Does anyone know what's going on here or can offer some advice?
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2005, 09:29 AM

There is no security advantage to disabling SSID broadcast; it's less security than hiding the key to your house under the door mat.

Further, by design most wireless clients look for the SSID when searching for a network. The standard does not address the exact mechanism for a client to find and connect to an access point that is not broadcasting an SSID, so different clients behave differently in this situation. Typically an AirPort card does not "see" an access point/router/base station that is not broadcasting, particularly when waking up. (There also seems to be some problem with computers running Tiger connecting after sleep, but that's a separate issue.)

I recommend that you enable SSID broadcast, change the SSID to something very different from the default "linksys," and of course change the admin password of the box to a secure password-certainly NOT the default "admin." If you choose something like "ThisIsMine" as an SSID be warned that not all access points handle mixed case the same way, so this might not show up as different from "THISISMINE" or "thisismine." Further, a good, unique SSID shows that you're paying some attention to security; the bad guys LOVE to find networks with default SSIDs, and they attack them more often because they're easier targets.

A final word: spend a few bucks and buy a more modern wireless router that supports WPA. WEP is "teh crap" in terms of security-not quite as bad as hiding the key under the doormat, but more like locking your door with a good-quality rope tied in a large knot. Yes, it is THAT insecure.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules