Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Port Replicators / Docksing stations?

MacBook Port Replicators / Docksing stations?
hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Thanks slug slug... I've long wondered how Apple thinks it will be taken seriously in the biz world without a Port Replicator / docking solution. Guess I will not hold my breath!!!
What is so important about port replicators for business?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2006, 11:36 AM

Very few people actually use port replicators. For those people who do - its essential. But its a very small number. I personally would pay for one.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 03:15 PM

OK...I hope this is OK to ask here...

Anyone know of any good solutions - given the Mini-DVI adapter and all the side-mounted cords? Was prompted to ask after getting some help getting my BlacBook to work with my Dell Monitor...
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

These folks say it's coming, but they don't give a timeline. But they're the only company I've heard of that makes any Apple-compatible port replicators.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks slug slug... I've long wondered how Apple thinks it will be taken seriously in the biz world without a Port Replicator / docking solution. Guess I will not hold my breath!!!

digiology2
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 06:16 AM

yeah we need port replicators! it'd be nice just to have a connector at the end and the macbook could just slide on effortlessly

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 06:34 PM

While it would be a cool thing to addon it would uglify the bottom of my MacBook and it would bring up the price.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

masugu
Senior User
Jul 21, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon
What is so important about port replicators for business?
Mobile professionals / "Hallway warriors" going from meeting to meeting need to undock and dock quickly. Plugging in cables everytime you return to your desk and then futzing with getting your laptop to display on your monitor is unnaceptable.

Apple needs to address this or its laptops will be limited to geeks like us and not the Dell-wielding automatons of corporate America!!!

SkaGoat
Jul 22, 2006, 12:26 AM

Delete me

SkaGoat
Jul 22, 2006, 12:28 AM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Dillon-K
While it would be a cool thing to addon it would uglify the bottom of my MacBook and it would bring up the price.
There are many notebook computers that have a port on the bottom that closes up when not in use, it wouldn't "uglify" the bottom at all.

Besides, I think the iSight in the bezel is ugly, but that doesn't stop it from being useful.

And it wouldn't cost anything to implement because it's a very cheap thing to do.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 01:11 AM

That is a good point about the iSight... I don't know, maybe it's something we can look forward to hearing about at Macworld '07....
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SkaGoat
And it wouldn't cost anything to implement because it's a very cheap thing to do.
That seems like a bit of a stretch, unless there's some industry standard I'm unaware of. Seems to me that port replicators are inelegant in an un-Apple-ish way (sorta like the word "un-Apple-ish"), both in terms of looks and user-friendliness. On the other hand, a dock connector (again, barring some obscure standard) would require Apple to spend the engineering resources to create the specs for routing all the requisite buses onto one connector and figure out how to fit it all onto the logic board; and then that's one extra custom part to have manufactured.

I still think it might be worth it for them. But I doubt it's cheap in the way, say, adding some extra USB ports would be.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 12:07 PM

Mobile professionals / "Hallway warriors" going from meeting to meeting need to undock and dock quickly. Plugging in cables everytime you return to your desk and then futzing with getting your laptop to display on your monitor is unnaceptable.

Apple needs to address this or its laptops will be limited to geeks like us and not the Dell-wielding automatons of corporate America!!!
I know exactly what you mean. Why, I'd pay hundreds of dollars to avoid the hassle of having to plug in the power, display, and ethernet cables. It must take all of 10 seconds, and time is money after all.

By the way, Mac's don't require their owners to futz.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 22, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I know exactly what you mean. Why, I'd pay hundreds of dollars to avoid the hassle of having to plug in the power, display, and ethernet cables. It must take all of 10 seconds, and time is money after all.

By the way, Mac's don't require their owners to futz.
No futzing??? Guess you have not owned many Macs.

Umm...Mac Users - myself included - do / have paid more for our beloved platform.Maybe you aren't aware of much history. Since Macs are the ultimate in design and Apple more often than not is one step ahead of the curve, my point is that surely somethign as pedestrian as an elegant docking station would be academic.

In case you have not heard, 10 seconds is an eternity in computerland and for people in business. Do you work? Try having to do this excercise 5 times a day. back at you.

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2006, 02:11 PM

Right now I'm using an iCurve laptop stand from Griffin Technology, along with a 5-port USB hub, a 7-port USB hub, and a 5-port Firewire hub, plus the Mini-DVI adapter for my monitor. I have a spare A/C adapter for travel so I don't have to unplug my home charger either. It's a small pain to plug everything in, but it works - when I get home, I plug in the A/C, Firewire, 2 USB, and headphone cable and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Yeah, I'd buy a dock.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 02:12 PM

Here is a complete list of the Macs that I've owned:

128K Mac
512K Mac
Mac SE
Mac SE/30
Mac IIsi
Quadra 605
PowerMac 6100 (x2)
PowerMac 7600
iMac G3
eMac
iBook G3 (600MHz)
iBook G3 (700MHz)
iBook G3 (900MHz)
Powerbook G4 (867MHz)
Powerbook G4 (1GHz)
Powerbook G4 (1.33GHz)
Powerbook G4 (1.5GHz)

Still, I don't know why you think the Mac requires futzing to get the display to work with an external monitor. I've never had to do that.

As for plugging and unplugging, I do that at work and it just doesn't bother me. To each his own.

Chris

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 02:14 PM

I'd also buy one for school... every morning and evening it would come in handy.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
As for plugging and unplugging, I do that at work and it just doesn't bother me. To each his own.
Same here. Plug in in the morning, plug out in the evening.

It does bother me; it's non Apple-like in the sense that it's a pain and just not elegant. And I'm always wondering if I won't yank out an plug breaking the port or something.

Apple could do it really nice. With a master port on the bottom, hidden behind a latch that only opens when you slide it onto the docking station. All they have to do is put the port there. They could leave the actual station to third-party companies. I'd really like it.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 22, 2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks Simon...you are often a voice of reason on these boards. Apple by its very nature *should* have an elegant docking solution for design / biz professionals going to a gazillion meetings a day Vs. having to deal with 4+ cables each and every time you want to hook to your monitor / power supply / keybd / mouse.

My other compalaint about Apple - which I LOVE as a company, iCon et al - is their keyboards and mice leave a lot to be desired.

I am just against any futzing - but the Mac certainly has less futzing than a PC.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 05:19 AM

Thanks Simon...you are often a voice of reason on these boards.
Thank you.

And although this isn't the MBP forum, I want to add that ever since Apple went from Ti to Al, the PR/DS thing has become even more of an issue. You have ports on both sides of the Book making it even more of a hassle to connect a lot of peripherals. Cables sticking out on both sides, taking up a lot of desk space, etc.

I really like the hinge design Apple is using now and I think in general it's fine to have ports on the sides, but when you want to use a Book as a desktop replacement and hook it up to a lot of peripherals, you really need something like a PR/DS. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous location of the lock slot on the 15" Al PB and MBP. Have you ever tried connecting a USB device or cable to the right side port when the lock was *gasp* already inserted?

Forum Links
Forum Rules