Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes 7 - junk

iTunes 7 - junk
Kevin Dunahee
Sep 15, 2006, 12:25 PM

Ever since I got iTunes 7, it erases my iPod about once a day and makes me restore all of my music to it. I also have to transfer about 100 songs at a time to make sure it works, otherwise, it will pick a random song and hang there for all eternity. Any ideas? iTunes 7 seems buggy. Thanks.

-KD

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:35 PM

Sweet. On the other hand, iTunes 7 is working flawlessly for me and is the best iTunes release by far!

jais09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by baw
Sweet. On the other hand, iTunes 7 is working flawlessly for me and is the best iTunes release by far!
+1.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jais09
+1.
+1 and probably thousands of others. It's not iTunes that is the problem. Something's wrong with your system or iPod.

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 03:48 PM

sometimes when I update my ipod, it says that it couldn't copy some songs because it couldn't find them. But when I check on the ipod, they're there, so I dont know whats going on.

Other than that, iTunes 7 has been fine for me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 05:29 PM

Let me guess -- the original poster is using Windows?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2006, 06:03 PM

iTunes is working very well for me-UNDER WINDOWS. Not an issue with the software...probably an issue with hardware-is the cable perfect?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

porieux
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 06:32 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:58 AM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 07:03 PM

In general speaking, iTunes 7 is great on my Mac.

However, I believe that there are several bugs in this 7.0 release when syncing with iPods. I have the 2G (10GB), 5G (60GB), and the current 5.5G (30GB) models with the latest iPod software. For some reasons, iTunes 7 synced the playlists that I did not check.

Here's the thing, I told iTunes 7 to sync all the TV shows to my iPod, on the other hand I put a couple episodes on a playlist, but I uncheck that playlist to sync with my iPod. The result, iTunes synced all the TV shows as well as the unchecked playlist. I have never experienced this on iTunes 6.0.x.

Kevin Dunahee  (op)
Sep 15, 2006, 09:11 PM

I am operating off of my Macbook Pro actually. I resynced and have used it periodically today. No more glitches. Hopefully they won't come back. It was weird though because I said my music wasnt on the iPod but it said the 8GB of (previously music) space was just under "Other" now. Oh well, not bothering me anymore.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
iTunes 7 ROCKS!
Dittoâ„¢

johnsmit90210
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee
Ever since I got iTunes 7, it erases my iPod about once a day and makes me restore all of my music to it. I also have to transfer about 100 songs at a time to make sure it works, otherwise, it will pick a random song and hang there for all eternity. Any ideas? iTunes 7 seems buggy. Thanks.

-KD

Kevin you are not alone. Thousands of people are reporting decreased functionality with the new iTunes 7 software. Everything from the behavior you're describing to completely disfunctional iPods with the software.

I myself am in the latter.

Unlike some of the "Hooah" boys in this thread, its good to be helpful. That is, you asked if anyone could recommend ideas related to your problem, and you got a bunch of mindless people replying "Everything works perfectly" in a nutshell directing you as the problem.
Well, as I mentioned before you are most definitely not alone.

In my case iTunes 7 will not recognize my iPod unless I constantly fiddle with the com object aka. iPodService (I'm on a Windows machine obviously)

Even after having the iPod recognized it does not work in terms of a restore or firmware update. I have an idea of how the sub system prepares and initializes an update and there is a link in the chain in my case that is 100% broken. I can however move music around and yes its absolutely fine as a stand alone drive. Theres nothing wrong here other than with this exceptionally buggy software.

I can't believe that Apple would release something like this!

Just because it isn't happening to you, doesn't mean it isn't happening you bunch of mindless people! Why else would Apple have a small library of documentation for troubleshooting and how-to's?

As an edit: My girlfriend also experienced iTunes 7 problems on a Powerbook running 10.4. The problems were rectified after a reinstall. But that still doesn't say anything to the credit of Apple.

Giant companies should not be allowed to release these alpha software titles! Its sure fire robbery. Why you ask? Many popular software companies release titles when they are not ready for the open market, its a popular habit. Have you stood to reason that perhaps its purposely done in order to distribute time and save money? There are numerous reasons for doing so, and the bottom line meets conviently with a dollar sign. The end result is users like me having to spend a lot of additional un-needed time and energy trying to make a product work and make posts like these... Guess what! I already bought the product, its your job to make the damn thing work!
/end rant
( Last edited by johnsmit90210; Sep 16, 2006 at 08:40 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 10:57 AM

I am not a "hooah" boy (and most people participating here won't get the reference) for iTunes 7. I have simply had no problems with it. Of course I don't spend my day using it, so that might have something to do with it.

johnsmit90210
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by johnsmit90210
Giant companies should not be allowed to release these alpha software titles! Its sure fire robbery. The end result is users like me having to spend a lot of additional un-needed time and energy trying to make a product work and make posts like these... Guess what! I already bought the product, its your job to make the damn thing work!
/end rant

Wow!...

I have just discovered that the new iTunes 7 release contains completely different formatting then all of the previous releases, which might explain why the whole 'upgrade process' is proving difficult for some users' iPods.

I cannot believe this, but they have removed the ability for the iPod to now display album art by directly reading from an ID3 v2+ tag. Now they have advertantly (without doubt on purpose) forced a user to obtain an iTunes store account in order to be able to retreive album art automatically. I just stepped through that process and they require you register a credit card to complete that process!

I am sorry but this is latest change is absolutely horrible, I am having trouble believing this crap. ID3 is the de facto standard for meta data within MP3s, and Apple has actually again subverted that by trying to make everything 'friendly'. This is stupid.

I've made the decision that this is the end for me. I have owned 3 generation iPods, and now officially I am done with them. **** proprietary user interface, which has proven more than difficult for other software makers who try and give the control back to the user.

Can't wait to get something that just plain works cross O/S. Its FAT32! Not 'FAT32 for Macintosh' or FAT32 for Windows. LOSERS. You're worse than Microsoft.

I HATE EVERYTHINGAHHHHHHHHH I HATE YOU TOO hahahah

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 11:01 AM

Argh! My life is unending pain and torment because this BRAND NEW software isn't perfection itself! I don't want to live anymore! I thought this forum was a place to ask for help with technical issues, not vent about stuff nobody here can do anything about. And this is specifically a HARDWARE forum, too so whining about iTunes, (an application-did you notice?) here is not appropriate. Can we stop that now?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 11:27 AM

I cannot believe this, but they have removed the ability for the iPod to now display album art by directly reading from an ID3 v2+ tag. Now they have advertantly (without doubt on purpose) forced a user to obtain an iTunes store account in order to be able to retreive album art automatically.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. iTunes has never had the ability to automatically retrieve album art until now. But you've always been able to add it manually (or with a third party program) and as far as I can tell, you still can. What makes you think that you can't add your own album art?

I guess I can understand it if you don't like having to get an iTunes Store account to download the art, but the attitude you're displaying is an overreaction to say the least. Just keep in mind that this feature is a total freebee. You're not losing anything you had before if you can't use it. I'm surprised that they're offering it at all.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I thought this forum was a place to ask for help with technical issues, not vent about stuff nobody here can do anything about.
Well, we proved you wrong pretty quick Mr. Smarty pants...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

cms
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Well, we proved you wrong pretty quick Mr. Smarty pants...

johnsmit90210
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. iTunes has never had the ability to automatically retrieve album art until now. But you've always been able to add it manually (or with a third party program) and as far as I can tell, you still can. What makes you think that you can't add your own album art?

I guess I can understand it if you don't like having to get an iTunes Store account to download the art, but the attitude you're displaying is an overreaction to say the least. Just keep in mind that this feature is a total freebee. You're not losing anything you had before if you can't use it. I'm surprised that they're offering it at all.

First off, ghporter, you're right.. Kudos to that.. Just so dang frustrating at times!...

And, what I'm saying is this icruise:

iTunes has never had the ability to retrieve album art, yes you're right, I was on that point and I wasn't saying anything to the contrary.

Third party programs alike add photo or picture information by adding the data to an ID3 tag (version 2 or greater). With prior versions (pre iTunes 7) an iPod would read the metadata from an ID3 tag and display the relative information: ie. Song title, album name, a picture or photo, and so on.

Yes, third party programs on the whole add the data, then resave the mp3 (for example) with the newly stored info.

It seems now however, that whereas before the ID3 tag information for a photo would be read directly from the file, they had averted that process completely and done the following:

-Made album art available on a file basis: It seems they drop the relative picture data (which is linked to a song/album) in a directory or file.
-Users have already unanimously noted that their album art doesn't work under other usernames--Why? Well, it has to be because they are storing relative album art on a username basis-- in which case they are tracking to a degree what music you have.
-This in turn forces users to either sign up with iTunes store account for auto album art (which is how they track who has what album art) or add the album art manually, in which case iTunes will create a unique folder with the photos, which is mirrored and linked on the iPod.

I don't know if any of this is for sure, but I am piecing it together. My iPod no longer reads photo or album art information from my tags. That in turn forces me to add it to iTunes manually or sign up for a store account, where I have to remit a credit card to complete that process.

The information is on my tags... I specifically spent umpteen hours doing so.. and now they've gone ahead and went proprietary.. again!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 12:16 PM

I don't know if any of this is for sure, but I am piecing it together. My iPod no longer reads photo or album art information from my tags. That in turn forces me to add it to iTunes manually or sign up for a store account, where I have to remit a credit card to complete that process.

The information is on my tags... I specifically spent umpteen hours doing so.. and now they've gone ahead and went proprietary.. again!

Well, I think that you're mistaken. I see no change to how iTunes handles album art, with the exception that you are now able to download it from iTunes. The custom art that I added to my own MP3 files still shows up as expected, both on my iTunes and my iPod. It's possible that there is a bug of some kind preventing the art from showing up on your iPod (and I have heard of that happening even with older versions of iTunes) but I can state with some confidence that they haven't "gone proprietary" in any way. You might try unchecking the "display album art on the ipod" preference and then rechecking it.

johnsmit90210
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Well, I think that you're mistaken. I see no change to how iTunes handles album art, with the exception that you are now able to download it from iTunes. You might try unchecking the "display album art on the ipod" preference and then rechecking it.
Nothing...

I tried this and it didn't work, which found me inventing conspiracy theories or all sorts... I guess I ran off in the wrong direction, as I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I'm quite an accomplished writer you know...

Sorry about that everyone. haha..

Anyhow, I guess now I'm digressing to "It just doesn't work"

I'm a little quack quack today aren't I?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 12:40 PM

You might look at the ilounge.com forums to see if other people have the same problem (there are more Windows types there).

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 08:40 PM

iTunes isn't opening at all for me anymore. It bounces in the dock for a few minutes, then stops but needs a force quit to try again.

anyone else going through this?

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2006, 03:42 AM

I set podcast preference to sync and save only unplayed podcasts but still get left with everything too

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 04:34 PM

I have no problems at all.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 05:55 PM

I too had major problems with 7 and have reverted to 6.0.5. 7 kept crashing after opening, or crashing when analyzing gapless playback. This is on a very clean system. So to those who claim it must be something with the user's system - don't speak too soon before you know what is happening. See the Apple Discussion boards and you will observe tons of people with 7 problems.

Never had a problem with 6. When they update to 7.1 or whatever the next update is, I might try it again, but the new features and eye candy are not worth the trouble for me.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2006, 06:12 PM

I too have had more problems with iTunes 7 than I have with any other release. And I've been using iTunes full time sine 1.0.

Very dissapointing. Let's hope a patch appears in Software Update in the near future.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2006, 06:41 PM

I haven't had any problems, but it seems to me that this release added a heck of a lot more features than previous releases (after all the move from iTunes 5 to 6 basically just added videos to the iTMS). So I suppose you have to expect some rough edges, but I hope the fix the problems soon.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 11:15 PM

The new "get my album art from the intarweb" feature rocks. They finally added a new feature to iTunes that doesn't revolve around selling me more crap (although amaroK has been doing this for well over a year now).

Kudos to iTunes 7.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2006, 11:58 PM

Performance for iTunes has been a major improvement. But the UI...
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Kevin Dunahee  (op)
Sep 18, 2006, 10:19 AM

I agree with you Velocity. I hope Leopard doesnt ditch the aqua UI.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 06:54 PM

So it seems that iTunes works for some, kinda works for some, and just doesn't for others. It isn't related to platform-it's working fine for me on my PC, but others report problems with their PCs and there are reports in both directions on all sorts of Macs... So whatever the deal is, maybe this "release version" of iTunes is more beta than Apple wanted to believe... Bad.

jais09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee

-KD
Been using mine everyday with my Nano since the 15th, no problems here, flawless!!

jais09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Performance for iTunes has been a major improvement. But the UI...
yeah, the user interface does stink it up -- but I haven't had any usability problems

I am thinking the people having trouble are using it on PC and not Mac

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 02:26 PM

I like the UI. Sure, it's not candy anymore, but it's not horrible.

Though I do agree. I miss the less grey buttons and damn, that burn animation was awesome, even if I only used it like 3 times in my life.

I love CoverFlow. But only when I'm in a playlist that has art on all my songs. I hate seeing those empty spaces because a song isn't a real song. I've been slowly adding in artwork for all my songs either by fixing the titles or searching the internets for artwork. My Beatles are back to normal now.

( Last edited by Jasoco; Sep 20, 2006 at 03:15 PM. )

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 09:24 PM

Is there somewhere that you can still download the previous version of iTunes for Windows?

I have a coworker who is struggling with his iPod and iTunes 7. It won't recognize the iPod anymore within iTunes (but it is showing up in My Computer).
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Kevin Dunahee  (op)
Sep 22, 2006, 07:26 PM

I love your sig jacoso! That's hilarious!

Anyways, today I loaded up my iPod with podcasts and went to mow the lawn and to my surprise (not really), iTunes had erased my iPod again. So I went to the house to put them back on once again and iTunes is like, NOPE, you've got everything. So I turn it back on and everything is there. How strange? Right now my iPod says it has no movies on it while iTunes is telling me that they are all on there. *sigh*

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 08:55 PM

It's not my sig, but yeah, it is pretty funny.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 09:51 PM

I'd pay $30 for the gapless playback alone. Parabol->Parabola is 10x better with gapless.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I'd pay $30 for the gapless playback alone. Parabol->Parabola is 10x better with gapless.
Those of us who are l33t skilled combined them into one track forever ago anyways.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:12 PM

iTunes 7 is the SHITs

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 10:25 PM

Whatever you do, backup your iTunes library before installing iTunes 7.

well, I backed up my iTunes music library to an extra hard drive and then disconnected the backup hard drive. I crossed my fingers and installed iTunes 7. So far, so good. I saw the posts about missing songs, etc... so i didn't take a chance and backed up before something screwed up.

sorry to hear that some folks have something screwy with their iTunes 7.

I just got the iPod nano 8 GB last night.... I freaked when it wouldn't show up on my Mac Mini's desktop or iTunes..... I said "craaaappppp..... I got a dud straight out of the box."

After leaving the nano connected to my Mac Mini for another minute, it finally showed up as a Windows formatted hard disk..... *Whew* at least it showed up in the Finder. But iTunes 7 still wouldn't see it.

I ejected the iPod and reconnected it again... after waiting for another minute, iTunes finally saw it and proceeded to format it as a Mac iPod and went through the normal process....

I forgot that I read in another thread somewhere that if you connect a Windows formatted iPod, it will take a little bit longer for a Mac computer to mount the iPod.....

*whew*
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 11:45 AM

The the whole "gung-ho" something is wrong with your config is retarded...

There is a ton of small and stupid bugs in iTunes 7. On my MacBook with 2GB of RAM it beachballs constantly. Half of my artwork will not display on my iPod. iTunes crashes on large single files when editing attributes and the interface is suddenly slow and clunky as hell.

On my PC its a little better but still crappy. The best advice is if at all possible just revert to iTunes 6 for now.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

DmbShn41
Sep 23, 2006, 05:01 PM

I like iTunes, I've used it since 2.04, no complaints, cause in the next upgrade, they always fix, or add great features. I have a iBook Clammy, Mac X Jaguar. I'm using iTunes 5 with a 1st Gen nano, and now that they have made major uprades to the iTMS, anytime I try to authorize my iBook to play tunes I swapped from my Slowshiba, it tells me I HAVE to upgrade to iTunes 7, which won't run on Jaguar. I'm currently looking for iTunes 6, maybe I'll have better luck there. I run iTunes 7 on my Slowshiba and its great. I'm def upgrading to Panther in the next week, but its a bum that I cant listen to my tunes now. Anyone know anyways to get around this issue, other than upgrading....Is there a program out there that will authorize your songs without using iTunes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Arju
The the whole "gung-ho" something is wrong with your config is retarded...
Well, if people are putting the blame on the user rather than Apple, then that is wrong. But the fact of the matter is that most people are using iTunes 7 without any problems, so there may in fact be something "wrong" with some people's configurations in the sense that they are the exception to the rule. I have none of the problems you describe (on an intel iMac with 2GB of RAM).

DmbShn41
Sep 23, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41
I like iTunes, I've used it since 2.04, no complaints, cause in the next upgrade, they always fix, or add great features. I have a iBook Clammy, Mac X Jaguar. I'm using iTunes 5 with a 1st Gen nano, and now that they have made major uprades to the iTMS, anytime I try to authorize my iBook to play tunes I swapped from my Slowshiba, it tells me I HAVE to upgrade to iTunes 7, which won't run on Jaguar. I'm currently looking for iTunes 6, maybe I'll have better luck there. I run iTunes 7 on my Slowshiba and its great. I'm def upgrading to Panther in the next week, but its a bum that I cant listen to my tunes now. Anyone know anyways to get around this issue, other than upgrading....Is there a program out there that will authorize your songs without using iTunes.

SO I found iTunes 6.04 and it solved my problem. I can purchase from iTMS, snd I authorized my iBook to play all my songs. When I updated from 5 to 6, it actuallymade a double copy of my library, the library from 5 was damaged, and 6 was a fresh copy of my iPod. iPodViewer recognized the moment 6 came on and made another copy, which put it into iTunes as a second library, and I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was what. SO I wiped my entire library, and now I'm reloading my iPod to my HD. But now that I got iTunes 6, I'm quite happy, and will def upgrade to 7 next week once I get Panther. Toodles.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Right on. Then there's Dark Side of the Moon, Operation: Mindcrime, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence...I actually let out a big 'woohoo!' when I saw gapless in 7.0, and another one when the 1.2 update gave my iPod gapless playback.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 06:16 PM

Well, if people are putting the blame on the user rather than Apple, then that is wrong. But the fact of the matter is that most people are using iTunes 7 without any problems, so there may in fact be something "wrong" with some people's configurations in the sense that they are the exception to the rule. I have none of the problems you describe (on an intel iMac with 2GB of RAM).
I have an Intel/iMac 20" with 1.5GB ram and have been having problems with iTunes 7 shutting down (still does it frequently). Nothing wrong with my iPods though.

Itunes literally just locks up in a minute or two playing music, going to the iTunes store, etc. I just don't use iTunes that much right now until Apple makes the fix. I continually send Apple the error messages when it locks up (unlike Windows XP error messages).

Programs that I run that may be causing conflicts:
Parallels
Pod+Rescue (crappy program - removed it now)
I would turn off some of the now-Apple stuff and see if it helps some.

No other problems, but iTunes 7 shutting down randomly - not a big deal for me. Would like to try one of the new iPod games -that's about it.

Apple will fix this iTunes 7 thing rather quickly. I have faith.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 08:09 AM

Here is a followup about the issue of iTunes not storing album art in the song file itself. johnsmit90210 had said that iTunes no longer stored album art in the song itself and also that it made all of the work he did putting in custom album art useless. I said that this was not true and that I didn't notice any difference in the way that iTunes stores album art. The actual story is somewhere in between.

While johnsmit90210 got some of the details confused, he was partially correct. iTunes still behaves just as it used to for songs that you have added the art to manually, or for things downloaded from the iTS (I think). However, for songs that you have used the new "Download Artwork" feature on, the artwork is stored separately in an "Album Artwork" folder and not embedded in the file itself. It is simple enough to get around this -- right click (or option-click) on the art in the album art window, Get Info on the file(s) in question, click the artwork, copy it, then paste it back in. Of course, this is a big pain if you have to do it for a lot of files. This web site has an Applescript that supposedly automates that process, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind doing it this way, but it doesn't seem like a very good solution to me.
( Last edited by icruise; Sep 25, 2006 at 08:32 AM. )

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 09:43 PM

well, i was trying to manually drag and drop some jpg files to add album artwork but iTunes 7 didn't copy it. It showed the green "plus" cursor but nothing happened....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Forum Links
Forum Rules