Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "new" cd drive in 7500

"new" cd drive in 7500
sproutsie
May 31, 2002, 09:38 AM

Hi- I have a G3'd 7500, on which I want to install OS 9, but the cruddy old cd drove that came with it is broken, so I can't load any new programs or OS's. I have a new one on the way and have a sort of simple question- it is an Apple 12X drive, so after I stick the connectors on it and so on, do I need to do anything else? Run HD setup or something similar? I have not been able to find instructions on it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

saxman
Jun 4, 2002, 11:04 PM

Greetings

Provided your new drive is the same physical size and connection interface, it should just slot straight in. You will probably have to swap the sled from the old to the new, but that's easy.

There will be some "jumpers" which you will probably have to remove from the old drive and put on the new one in exactly the same way. These will set your SCSI ID, parity and termination to the settings you currently have.

You should not have to do anything else, it should just work!

Cheers

<small>[ 06-04-2002, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: saxman ]</small>
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 01:54 PM

Hi Sproutsie,
Should be as simple as swapping the two drives and you'll be good to go (with a significantly faster drive!)
dave

sproutsie  (op)
Jun 9, 2002, 02:13 PM

Well, the cd drive turned out to be the least of my problems! It works great, as opposed to the rest of the thing, including my borrowed monitor, which likes to switch in between normal and sickly nasty greenish-yellow.

Thanks for the input.
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules