Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > OpenVPN USA IP (Hulu etc Streaming)

OpenVPN USA IP (Hulu etc Streaming)
chichow
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2011, 12:33 PM

I did a search, but #1 didn't see the exact answer and #2 couldn't bump the older thread.

basically, I just want to know if I put in an OpenVPN server...does it have to live at the edge or can it be behind the router...

On the client side, I've been pretty happy with Tunnelblick.

Here's a better post:

Issue: I'd like to access Hulu, TV streaming content while outside the USA

Proposed Solution: I'd like to setup a OpenVPN server at a friend's house. Friend's house because of higher upstream bandwidth.

Restraint: I can't do willy nilly to my friend's router. I can't just change it out to a DD-WRT device. I can have him put in a forwarding rules.

Question: Will putting an OpenVPN server like

WAN <--> Friend Router <--> OpenVPN server

allow me to come from the Internet (outside of USA), and then out to USA sites and bounce back to me even though my OpenVPN server is not on the edge of my friend's Internet connection?

additional background:

I am going to be traveling much more outside of the USA. I've moved away from a Tivo/Slingbox, so now I am much more reliant on strictly Internet contentn

In the past, I've spent a weekend setting up ssh tunnels and proxies for particular applications. Now, I'd rather just tunnel everything through a VPN.

chichow  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2011, 12:35 PM

oh...and I also tried searching

what the heck does "FOSS" mean for FOSS VPN

Thorzdad
Feb 14, 2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by chichow View Post
oh...and I also tried searching

what the heck does "FOSS" mean for FOSS VPN
Free and Open Source Software

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2011, 05:27 PM

OpenVPN will work behind a firewall with the proper ports open, I have one setup myself this way. AFAIK OpenVPN can be setup to simply add a user to a private subnet or forward all traffic through a remote network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules