Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fact-Free News

Fact-Free News (Page 2)
theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Wow. Touchy, touchy there theo!

Relax man. Take deep breaths. The reason US citizenship is a factor here, is obvious. And no�� it has nothing to do with our/my/the radical right's campaign to rob you of your well earned sleep.�

This whole story, is ABOUT the US media, and what AMERICANS believe, or don't believe based on what news media they watch. Did you perhaps miss that?

Heck, if we're going to open this up to polling the whole world, and nutty things that people believe worldwide, you're right- one could tip the charts of 'absolute lunacy' all kinds of ways across all kinds of cultures.

Right. But as stated, this whole topic deals with "...your fellow Americans are walking around knowing things that you don't..." Perhaps you could use a glance at the original article again?

Heh heh! Sorry, had to crack up at all that! Come on theo, you're usually way more coherent than this.

Asking a simple question OF AMERICANS about "Who was elected president?" is now some right-wing conspiracy?!

That's freakin' hilarious!
Only just seen your reply. Please don't tell me to relax. I truly hate that and if your goal is to get a coherent response, this is ont the way to do it. If your goal is to wind me up, it's a good start.

But in any case. I don't watch American TV, although CNN is available, because the habit of mixing in advertising in 5 minute intervals in everything from sport to news is highly irritating. But I do read American news sites, including CNN, NYT and the WP regularly. I've been to Foxnews occaisionally but don't like it as it seems unashamedly biased in whichever direction it takes on some or other topic, and heavily censor news items that do not fit in with that position. It seems like a right wing version of Maureen Dowd of the NYT.

The point is that I do follow them. That's all. It's not as if I'm claiming God was an Astronaut (He wasn't, he was a Cosmonaut, everyone knows the Russians got into space first.......)

And the Al Gore question, is, I maintain, a charged one for both sides, and is disputable, irrespective of whom you listen to. He won the popular vote, but lost the election, and the final twist in the Florida recount was eventually decided by the Supreme court, which made GW the elected PotUSA in a narrower sense than is normally meant.

I know now what you meant by including that question (no, I didn't think there was some vast MacNN right wing conspiracy), and see your point and agree, as I pointed out basically the same thing about the middle east and wierd sonspiray theories about the CIA/Mossad etc.
weird wabbit

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 21, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
And the Al Gore question, is, I maintain, a charged one for both sides, and is disputable, irrespective of whom you listen to. He won the popular vote, but lost the election, and the final twist in the Florida recount was eventually decided by the Supreme court, which made GW the elected PotUSA in a narrower sense than is normally meant.
Winning the popular vote but losing the election is not an uncommon thing in the US; perhaps you believe it is? The electoral system is the way it is to prevent states with large cities/populations from dominating the political arena, the same reason why in the senate, you get 2 senators no matter how large your population is.

As for the whole Florida debacle, everyone just needs to get over it. It easily could have gone the other way with Gore winning, and I'm sure the other side would be inventing all sorts of conspiracy theories there too. It's time to let go...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules