Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Local Price Thread

The Local Price Thread (Page 5)
Thorzdad
Dec 5, 2022, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Mobil in the city next to the Costco was $4.19⁹.
That the one at the corner of Roosevelt and Ashland? When I was up there last, that station was always crazy higher than anywhere else. As in “we don’t want your business, so we’re pricing this shit way too high.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2022, 06:36 PM

This is a different one, 4½ miles almost due north at Clybourn, Diversey, and Damen.

It’s the opposite. It’s generally lower than others in the area, sometimes by like 10 or 20¢. This was a total mystery to me until I realized it’s competing with the Costco.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2022, 07:10 PM

Google Maps says the one you’re talking about is $5 right now.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 5, 2022, 07:47 PM

I filled up at my grocery gas station this morning. This one was the “farther out” one, which once had notably higher gas prices than the one I usually use. I filled up at $2.52⁹ this morning, after dropping my wife off to work at her (not grocery) store. When I picked her up, the price for regular was $2.49⁹. I guess if I’d waited, I might have saved 30¢ or so.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2022, 03:31 PM

Blue collar neighborhood in the city down to $3.79⁹.

Edit: 3.49⁹ once you get to an adjoining suburb. $4.39⁹ in the city near the interstate.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 8, 2022 at 04:39 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2022, 05:26 PM

$4.69⁹ at the off-brand station
$4.89⁹ at ARCO
$5.29⁹ at the Stickup
$5.39⁹ at another Stickup

They're finally getting close to pre-invasion prices here. If memory serves, regular was around $4.50 at ARCO right before. Maybe a little less.

Thorzdad
Dec 8, 2022, 06:10 PM

$3.35 at my corner station.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
They're finally getting close to pre-invasion prices here. If memory serves, regular was around $4.50 at ARCO right before. Maybe a little less.
It’s officially cheaper here. Price at my baseline suburban Speedway was $3.64⁹ right before the invasion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 9, 2022, 05:57 PM

Kind of wild that gas prices are within $0.20 of what they were a year ago, but diesel prices are still $1.00+ more (and nearly $2 more in New England!).

I wonder what's keeping diesel prices so high while gas prices are dropping.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 9, 2022, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I wonder what's keeping diesel prices so high while gas prices are dropping.
When in doubt, assume a conspiracy. Bonus: if you call the right news service, you can tell your story right away. Include aliens to spice things up.

Or car miles may be down, while shipping/delivery miles remain high going into the holidays? People can decide to drive less when prices are high, but shipping and delivery demand is inelastic. They'll drive the same miles regardless of the fuel price.

EV delivery vans and Semis cannot come fast enough.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 10, 2022, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
When in doubt, assume a conspiracy. Bonus: if you call the right news service, you can tell your story right away. Include aliens to spice things up.

Or car miles may be down, while shipping/delivery miles remain high going into the holidays? People can decide to drive less when prices are high, but shipping and delivery demand is inelastic. They'll drive the same miles regardless of the fuel price.

EV delivery vans and Semis cannot come fast enough.
My conspiracy theory is that they dropped gas prices so the average joe wouldn't revolt against all of the reports of record oil company profits, but they kept diesel prices high because they want to keep their core base mad at Biden.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2022, 08:06 PM

Both diesel and gasoline come from some form of crude oil. You apparently can't "refine everything until the processes need to diverge." In other words, you need to devote a chunk of crude to one product, and another chunk to the other.

So ramping up gasoline production (probably substantially, at least at first) would mean diverting more crude to gasoline, and reducing the crude available to make diesel. Which means less diesel is made. Which means they can charge more for it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2022, 01:51 PM

Filled up on the 12th for $1.63/gal of E85. Prices have levelled a bit, we'll see where the next fillup lands.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 3, 2023, 06:00 AM

$3.79⁹ at the off-brand station
$4.09⁹ at ARCO
$4.89⁹ at the Stickup

They're definitely below the pre-invasion prices here. However, if you happen to drive the I-5 in California for the holidays, beware the ripoff stations taking advantage of travelers. You can easily pay $6.79⁹ a gallon. The Robbing Hood method to build wealth - steal from the poor, and keep it all.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2023, 03:01 PM

Filled up at $3.09⁹ at not my regular suburban Speedway.
$3.89⁹ at the Mobil in the city next to the Costco.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2023, 09:05 PM

The price of regular in my area went from the low $2.30s to a max of $2.79⁹ late last week. It’s started to slide now; my grocery/gas station has it for $2.75⁹ today.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2023, 09:36 AM

Lows are around $3.00 here. FIL borrowed my truck to move a snowblower and topped it off for me, so I haven't filled up a while, though I'm due today. The one place that advertises E85 prices just jumped them from $1.80 to $2.10 yesterday, we'll see what the other places want.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2023, 03:57 PM

$3.89⁹ at the city Mobil next to the Costco.
$3.09⁹ at my usual suburban Speedway.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2023, 07:30 PM

Locally, regular is down to the $2.65 - $2.69 range.

I hope it stays on this downward trend for a while. We’re driving to the Big Bend area of Texas in just over a week, and gas prices out there (ironically, where there are a lot of oil wells) tend to be quite a bit higher than here. My car is quite efficient, but that much distance will use quite a bit of fuel.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2023, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
$3.89⁹ at the city Mobil next to the Costco.
$3.09⁹ at my usual suburban Speedway.
Since December 5th, your prices have come down 50 cents and mine have gone up 50 cents.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2023, 10:36 AM

I’m in a ritzier suburb right now and it’s $4.19⁹. Still $3.89⁹ at the cheap Mobil in the city.

But, yeah… strange that my normal Speedway is only 30¢ off from friggin Texas.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2023, 02:43 PM

Filled up with a pastrami sandwich for $16.33⁹

This included a microbag of plain Lay’s, tiny cup of slaw, and a pickle spear, all of which I told them to hold.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2023, 02:30 PM

Was out and about on Monday. The cheap Mobil was $3.99⁹. Everywhere else I saw in the city was +50-80¢.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2023, 03:53 PM

Filled up for $2.09⁹ today at the station that forgets to up E85 prices. It's wild seeing prices jump 20 cents day to day.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2023, 05:01 PM

Corn lag.

Forum Links
Forum Rules