Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Cities in the World.

Best Cities in the World. (Page 2)
deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 01:57 PM

cities i haven't been to, but would love to live in are:

usa: san fransisco!!!!
canada: vancouver
south america: rio (but only for a couple of months)
africa: johannesburg
europe: milano, dublin, berlin (okay, i've been there )
asia: phuket (thailand...), tokyo
oceania/australia: sydney, darwin, wellington, samoa, tahiti, fidji...(okay, the latter three aren't cities, but i'd still love to live there )

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 07:04 AM

Yep - Melbourne certainly has it all.

You know I've heard that the people of Melbourne say that "Melbourne is the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere"; other times Melbourne is compared to New York City. I mean, wow, there are so many similarities.

Melbourne has the greatest beaches; the best weather; the best public transport system; it's the biggest city in Australia; it has the most expensive real estate in Australia; it has the most recognisable building in the world; and it is the place that *all* overseas visitors come to when they visit Australia. And they even had the 2000 Olympics.

Oh shite - thats not Melbourne, thats Sydney. Only in Sydney we don't compare ourselves to any other city - we just are who we are.

I wonder how much that study cost?.......

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 07:22 AM

Didn't melbourne have the 1956 Olympics?

Plus anyway, there is no way to say that any city is the best in the world. Melbourne has sucky weather and sucky beaches, but if you're moving from London - Melbourne is the place to be. You'll surely get sun burnt in Sydney.

It's really a matter of preference. There is no single greatest city, but I believe there is a group of great cities.
In vino veritas.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Jordan:
Hong Kong - was fun, but tide is changing there. More fun to be had in Shanghai these days.
I couldn't disagree more strongly, Hong Kong is way better, the weather, the bars, the girls - everything is better, Shanghai is much too new, will catch up in 10 years.

- Apple Stores deliver in HK to.

Sealobo
Apr 21, 2003, 12:46 AM

For male, goto Macau.

For female, goto Hong Kong.

tintub
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
If Sydney doesn't come first, it's rigged. Plain and simple.
have you lived in any cities BUT Sydney? If not, then you are hardly qualified to answer.

I'd agree with Melbourne at the top. And I would certainly not put Sydney far behind.

tintub
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Jordan:
I lived in Port Moresby for 5 years. It's not that bad! Okay, it is that bad. We were being robbed at least once a week when I finally left.

My take....

Tokyo is a great city. Okay, it's expensive but if you've got the money, and can get out on weekends into the country, you should definitely try it once. (I've been here 7 years!)

Singapore is a great city to live in but a sh!tty place to visit. You really have to know Singapore to live there.

Bangkok is a lot of fun but you will go crazy if you live there for more than a year.

Kuala Lumpur is a cr@ppy place. Would be up there with my personal worst cities. (apologies to any Malaysians!!) Propoganda is so bad it actually gets to you.

Jakarta - yuk. I lived in Sulawesi for a while and that was fantastic. Pretty remote though. Holiday there but not sure it's a good place to live. Unless of course you are an Enron exec.

Hong Kong - was fun, but tide is changing there. More fun to be had in Shanghai these days.

Australia - would have to pick Brisbane. (very bias though!). Loved Perth (great weather - Face Ache!! ) Sydney is getting better every time I visit. Melbourne still has cr@ppy weather. (okay, maybe not all the time, just every time I go there)

New York is big, exciting, and unfriendly. I think I watched too much Seinfeld and Friends before visiting. Will definitely go back though.

London - expensive. Yes, more than Tokyo!!! Great things to do though, then again, there has to be. The weather is atrocious!!!

Milwaukee - Richie Cunningham and the Fonz seemed to like it....
I see you live in Bristol. I would definitely put Bristol down as the UK's most liveable city. (From a bristol native )

Whereabouts do you live in Bristol?

GoldenHammer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2003, 05:10 AM

Check this...

http://www.digital-life-21.com/photopost/

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Hey! My city (Perth) has just been voted #3 in the world as the best city to live in (by some group in London).

Melbourne is #1 (congratulations Purple Giant but Perth has better weather hehehe ).

Vancouver is #2 ((but Perth has waaaaaay better weather nyuk nyuk nyuk ).

London, Hong Kong, Lisbon, Madrid and San Francisco were joint #44 and New York was #52 (out of 130 cities).

Toronto, Vienna, Geneva and Zurich tied at #4.

Montreal, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Oslo are #8. Calgary was ranked 16th.

Auckland and Wellington were ranked 24th.

Port Moresby came last. Now there's a surprise.

tintub
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:

You know I've heard that the people of Melbourne say that "Melbourne is the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere"; other times Melbourne is compared to New York City. I mean, wow, there are so many similarities.

Melbourne has the greatest beaches; the best weather; the best public transport system; it's the biggest city in Australia; it has the most expensive real estate in Australia; it has the most recognisable building in the world; and it is the place that *all* overseas visitors come to when they visit Australia. And they even had the 2000 Olympics.

Oh shite - thats not Melbourne, thats Sydney. Only in Sydney we don't compare ourselves to any other city - we just are who we are.

For a Sydneysider who doesn't compare his city to any other, you sure get worked up over the Sydney Melbourne rivalry (which you claim only exists for Melburnians yet it is only Sydneysiders who have piped up with it in this thread.)

As a Bristolian, I figure I can offer a fairly objective view on the pros and cons of Australian cities.

Greatest beaches? Sydney beats Melbourne, but I reckon Perth might beat Sydney...

Best weather? Well yeah, if you like mugginess. Again, Melbourne weather isn't perfect, although I prefer the climate in Melbourne to the stickiness of Sydney. Again, though, I think Perth would win that one too.

Best public transport system? What makes it better than Melbourne? I think Melbourne beats Sydney on this one. We have trams! I never have to wait long for a train/tram, I can get pretty much anywhere. Plus you don't get as many weirdos as you do in Sydney.

Biggest city? What does that have to do with anything? Does that make China the best country on earth?

Most expensive real estate? Well that is a negative. That is one reason why I find Melbourne a more liveable city (and Perth even more so). I don't see it as an advantage when for the same price of a 2 bedroom flat in the scummier suburbs of Sydney (and most of the suburbs are pretty scummy - Sydney isn't all Circular Quay and Bondi beach), you could get a 3 bedroom house by the beach in Perth. Also, IMO, if you DO live in suburbia, Melbourne's suburbia is nicer than Sydney's suburbia.

Most recognisable building in the world? Again, not something that makes the city more liveable. Maybe just makes it more of a terrorist target :|

The city that *all* tourists go to in Australia... this doesn't make it liveable. This is one reason that I wouldn't like to live there, I get fed up of tourists.

The city that hosted the 2000 olympics? so what? Melbourne had them last time. It doesn't mean anything now. Sydney has great sporting facilities, so does Melbourne. (Australia really do well when it comes to public sports facilities).

At the end of the day, I think we can safely say that the world's 3 most liveable cities are Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Isn't that enough for you? People differ. Some like the hustle and bustle of Sydney life. Some like the laid back beachlife in Perth. I guess Melbourne offers something in between (literally ).

Adelaide and Brisbane. heh, well. i won't mention them

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 08:52 AM

What about Nashville?

out of the places I have lived, this is a very clean town until you go to the tourist section of town.... Damn outsides...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
Wow...Toronto was 4th. Although it was humid as heck when I was there, I was surprised at the amount of diversity present there. Heck you wouldn't see that somewhere like L.A....they would shoot each other for being the wrong color!

But seriously, Toronto was absolutely stunning. Nothing close to the myths I've heard about Canada.
My superficial opinion of Canadian cities:

Toronto is my favourite city in North America. It's incredibly diverse, and probably has the best range of restaurants in North America outside of New York, but the cost of eating out is literally 40% less than New York. Unfortunately, the summer is incredibly humid - good air conditioning is an absolute must.

I have lived in Vancouver (#2). It has great outdoors stuff, but it rains too much in the winter and has a bit too much of a small town attitude - very friendly, but insular. The summer is nice and not very humid though.

I have also lived in Montreal (#8). It has so much going on there it's unbelievable, and the European flavour is very cool. There is NO comparable major city anywhere in North America. The thing that soured me was the political climate and the heavy bureaucracy. Maybe that will change now that the PQ is out. Cold and slushy in the winter.

I haven't lived in Calgary (#16), but I've been there many times. I can't say that I'd ever consider living there. Just not diverse enough for my tastes. It's essentially a sprawling suburb, with a bit of cityness thrown in. In general it has a more right wing attitude than I'm used to also.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 21, 2003, 09:14 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 10, 2004 at 01:34 AM. )

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 09:25 AM

Paris - great, just plain ****ing great

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
So I've heard too. At least it's possible to escape Sweden relatively easily to Norway from G�teborg (Gothenburg) on foot. It is nary impossible from Stockholm, because you'd have to hike through the Swedo heartlands and as all of you know seeing V�ster�s or any other heartland towns of Sweden causes instant (yet painful) death. Not to mention if you meet upon any of the locals...
Why would you want to escape to Norway??? And why would one want to escape from Sweden????

I think the fact that you live north of the polarcircle has messed up your mind. Here take these

And I would vote for Uppsala, not Stockholm or G�teborg. It's a great city with a great history, oldest university in Scandinavia, people like Carl von Linn� worked there, beautiful nature, and a relaxed city.

Stockholm is OK, but lack in certain aspects like being too noisy and grey. But has some good aspects as well.

G�teborg is worse than Stockholm in my opinion. A very countryside style of town if you know what I mean. And the dialect, yuck

Well that is all for now, go on.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 09:34 AM

London is a really cool place, just because it's such a focal point of western civilization, and there's so much to do there. It is expensive in some ways, but so many of the museums have just a nominal fee or are free, and there's so much to see just walking around.

Montreal is really cool, too, because it's an easily accessible (for those of us in the US northeast) piece of a foreign country (and let's face it, it feels much more foreign than the rest of Canada).

New York is a neat place to visit, indeed one of my favorites. i love the museums and the architecture. OTOH, it is stinky in the summer, and that's not just New Jersey's fault. The people therein have never really struck me as obnoxious; what's more off-putting is the people (both in and out of the city) who declare everything outside of New York irrelevant, insignificant and inferior.

And of course, there's my hometown of Boston, which is wonderful because it has traits of all of the above, be it the culture, the history, or the stuff to do, and yet is small enough not to be a complete pain in the ass!

mc786030
Apr 21, 2003, 09:45 AM

I LOVE HONG KONG!!
(havent lived anywhere else before tho )

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 12:31 PM

I can most definately say that Terre Haute is not the best city ever. Ugh. Never live here.

You've been warned.

--Josh

Cipher13
Apr 21, 2003, 12:45 PM

Cipher13
Apr 21, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
have you lived in any cities BUT Sydney? If not, then you are hardly qualified to answer.

I'd agree with Melbourne at the top. And I would certainly not put Sydney far behind.
I've visited other cities, and have no desire to live in them.

Originally posted by tintub:
Best public transport system? What makes it better than Melbourne? I think Melbourne beats Sydney on this one. We have trams! I never have to wait long for a train/tram, I can get pretty much anywhere. Plus you don't get as many weirdos as you do in Sydney.

Adelaide and Brisbane. heh, well. i won't mention them
We have trams too...

And dude... you forgot Hobart... *stifles laugh*

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
hey why arent Newark and Patterson NJ listed here?
Not to mention that Camden was entirely forgotten. Why, I don't know -- I'm looking out the window and it's a lovely day, the trees are getting their leaves back, and everyone in line at the parole office is enjoying the weather.

Personally, I really love Boston. As soon as I can get out of this dump, I'm moving back to Boston and never leaving again. Seattle had good weather, despite its reputation, and Vancouver was very lovely, but I really just don't like the West Coast much. And Florida was just hell.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 01:43 PM

This list is highly subjective. Just because one group of people says a city is the best does not mean it is the absolute truth.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 01:49 PM

Any city with a smoking section in bars/restaurants gets my vote.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 02:33 PM

I've got to step in to defend Stockholm! Mainly, of course, because its practically next door - an overnight ferry terminal is at the other end of my street, so I can just walk over there, hop in, shop and eat some, sleep overnight and be there

So we got a cold 6 months in a year up here, but then again we have no floods, earthquakes, mud slides, tornados, bush fires, locust swarms, large spiders, rampant crime, noticeable pollution, traffic jams, electricity shortages, lack of cell phone coverage, slow internet connections or cold, drafty houses in the winter.

For most the above, it's easy enough to travel to central Europe, except for the large spiders - that requires Australia

J

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 10:59 PM

I have to vote my city, Albuquerque. We do have the International Baloon Fiesta, which is an amazing sight. And, where else can you ski/ride in the morning, and golf in the afternoon??

Santa Fe, is also just an hour away, one of the top artist towns in the world. Beautiful city.

No, Albuquerque really isn't the best city, but it's sure fun for us locals. (And ski bums) Snowboarding rules.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 11:33 PM

Only in Sydney we don't compare ourselves to any other city - we just are who we are.
That's something most Australasian cities could take note of. I'm amazed by the constant references here to European style (whatever), the Paris of (whatever) etc etc. I have seen it with regards to both restaurants and shopping in both Auckland and Brisbane recently. Get rid of this huge inferiority complex for gods sake - there's some great restaurants in Auckland, but it's bloody nothing like Paris. Why would it be? It's like Auckland. If people want European style attractions then go to Europe, not Australia or New Zealand. OK rant over.

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
That's something most Australasian cities could take note of. I'm amazed by the constant references here to European style (whatever), the Paris of (whatever) etc etc. I have seen it with regards to both restaurants and shopping in both Auckland and Brisbane recently. Get rid of this huge inferiority complex for gods sake - there's some great restaurants in Auckland, but it's bloody nothing like Paris. Why would it be? It's like Auckland. If people want European style attractions then go to Europe, not Australia or New Zealand. OK rant over.
The difference is the quality and price of the ingredients.

You can't beat NZ for dairy and you can't beat Qld for tropical fruit.

Have you seen English "meat"?

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 12:02 AM

The difference is the quality and price of the ingredients.

You can't beat NZ for dairy and you can't beat Qld for tropical fruit.

Have you seen English "meat"?
Hehe, good point. But that's exactly it - it's these sort of great things that people should be talking about, not how "European" their restaurant is.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
So I hear. That's where I want to go for our next holiday.

I like/liked parts of San Francisco, Seattle, London and Amsterdam. But that's the thing about cities.. always changing, always remaining the same. They're so hard to judge, but that's what keeps me coming back.

These days I'm just looking for a great town to live in.
If you go to K�benhavn (that's the real name of the city: hell will probably freeze if a non-Dane can pronounce it correctly! ), be sure to check out the impressive, new �resund bridge (actually, tunnel + artificial island + bridge, both for rail and road at the same time) between Denmark and Sweden:

(Ironically, two of the smallest countries managed to rather efficiently make one of the biggest building projects in the world...)
( Last edited by Sven G; Apr 22, 2003 at 04:59 PM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 04:56 PM

Barcelona

Silencer
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 07:53 PM

I used to live in London but then moved to Sydney two years ago and out of the two I have to say I prefer London about a zillion times more, Sydney is such a boring place, theres hardly anything to do and the range of shops isn't comparable to London and also i'm not a fan of the sun at all.

So London all the way!!!

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Silencer:
... i'm not a fan of the sun at all.
... so you move to freakin' Australia?!

Aaaargh! <- You are here.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 22, 2003, 08:54 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 10, 2004 at 02:20 AM. )

Silencer
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 09:10 PM

... so you move to freakin' Australia?!

Aaaargh! <- You are here.
I didn't choose to my family moved so therefore I moved

Dogma
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 09:27 PM

Well, if you're looking for a 'nice' place to live - don't come to me. Glasgow is a sh*thole. Full of neds, casuals, and worse. What's better is that if you're in the least bit interested in a career - then you better know the people you're working for well, or at least support the 'right' team.

But I love it. i wouldn't be able to moan about it so much if i wasn't here. Plus, it's got some of the best darn mountains, lochs, and general countryside I've ever seen - second only to Switzerland in my opinion. Big is not always better (take note Americans!)

I would love to find somewhere like this that has nicer weather, better scenery, nicer people, cheaper, and able to let me get on with work once in a while. (A good pint of Guinness, ready supply of Marlboro Lights, Snapple, fantastic G, and easy women are essentials as well) Any tips?
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:

I would love to find somewhere like this that has nicer weather, better scenery, nicer people, cheaper, and able to let me get on with work once in a while. (A good pint of Guinness, ready supply of Marlboro Lights, Snapple, fantastic G, and easy women are essentials as well) Any tips?
Edinburgh? (Sorry)

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Silencer:
I didn't choose to my family moved so therefore I moved
Ah. Yeah. I'd rather be a teenager in London. My family emigrated to Oz when I was ten. I didn't like the idea then either.

But on the bright side, your over-all life won't suck so much (unless you're stuck in Sydney's outer suburbs). For a teenager my advice would be to get into the beach culture. When in Rome...

It's the kind of fun you couldn't have in London.

Whenever you feel depressed just remember: Girls in bikinis. Works for me.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
Edinburgh? (Sorry)
Ooh, that's harsh!
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
My superficial opinion of Canadian cities:

Toronto is my favourite city in North America. It's incredibly diverse, and probably has the best range of restaurants in North America outside of New York, but the cost of eating out is literally 40% less than New York. Unfortunately, the summer is incredibly humid - good air conditioning is an absolute must.

I have lived in Vancouver (#2). It has great outdoors stuff, but it rains too much in the winter and has a bit too much of a small town attitude - very friendly, but insular. The summer is nice and not very humid though.

I have also lived in Montreal (#8). It has so much going on there it's unbelievable, and the European flavour is very cool. There is NO comparable major city anywhere in North America. The thing that soured me was the political climate and the heavy bureaucracy. Maybe that will change now that the PQ is out. Cold and slushy in the winter.

I haven't lived in Calgary (#16), but I've been there many times. I can't say that I'd ever consider living there. Just not diverse enough for my tastes. It's essentially a sprawling suburb, with a bit of cityness thrown in. In general it has a more right wing attitude than I'm used to also.
Well, first I am sort of suprised at the number of Canadian cities on that list. Hmm, I never really realized I was living in one of the better cities in the world.. it really does seem like the grass is greener on the ot... ok, ok, I HATE cliches. But I really would rather be somewhere else, I am getting very restless.

Anyways, ya, I live in Calgary. I have lived in the same house in Calgary for my entire (18 year) life. It's a pretty good city. Chinooks are great in the winter. The bow river is really beautiful in the summer.. it's got a ton of parkspace.. lots of great places to go biking. Hmm, and it's got some culture.. but truthfully I loathe the stampede, I hate cowboyish stuff with a passion...

It's pretty diverse too, of course nothing like Toronto. Half of the university here seems to be asian though.

But ya, it is somewhat right wing. Don't let it fool you though, not everyone here is that way.. okay, well maybe about a handful.. grr. Nevermind. It's funny though, there is even some talk about seperatism.. and such, or even in it's most severe form, there was talk about Alberta having it's own military.. which is crazy, but some people were pissed at the Prime Minister and thought that if Alberta had a military it could send it to Iraq. Some people eh?

I think Vacnouver would be a cool place to live. Huge University.. and lots of Kendo Dojo's, (we have but one club here), oh!! And an Ocean!! Believe it or not, I haven't seen the ocean before. Heck, I haven't ever gone outside of Canada.

But, I will be visiting South Korea in December... I look forward to checking out Seoul while I am there. South Korea though, looks like a very beautiful country. Btw, does anyone know how expensive a one month stay might be in US or CDN? (will probably be staying with someone)

yellow no.5
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 01:07 AM

What do many of you do to be able to visit so many places? I've been wanting to travel, but fundage is always a problem, then getting out the job or whatever...I'm certainly envious.

Is it jobs? Vacations? Family reasons? Restlessness? Secret government missions?

I need to just wander the earth like Jules is goingto do in Pulp Fiction.

That'd be nice.

-yno.5
Don't cross the streams.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 02:08 AM

-Toronto (where i am, i love this place)
-Melbourne (great place)
-HongKong (gadget heaven)

can't say many more, because: a) never been there, b)many others i've been to aren't that great.
Ryan

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 02:40 AM

Well according to the news ticker in Austen Powers Goldmember Toronto was voted best city in the world

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Apr 23, 2003, 03:06 AM

Been to Hong Kong, Manila, Atlanta, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Charlotte, Toronto,...but let me just put in a good word for....

...GUAM! (not a city, but still a beautiful place).

We don't have a WalMart or an Apple Store, but we do have gorgeous weather and friendly people.

--jonas

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by pixelghetto:
Because if you lived here you would know why!

Probably somewhere in Hollywood, near to Sunset!
Good lord, I hope you're joking.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

While I love being in NY I don't particulary want to live there - London is greener, there's always a possibility to get away from it all and still be in the centre of town. No such thing in the big apple.

Also, the weather in London isn't all that bad. It's a myth, don't believe it. We had a good summer, and so far autumn has been warm and sunny. Agreed, Face would probably bemoan the absence of eternal sunshine but I like my seasons. Leafs turning in Kensington Gardens, morning mist on Hampstead Heath, the quiet gentility of Regents Park early on a Sunday.

And, if it does rain, it doesn't matter. Rain, snow and drizzle suits London. It's built for it. There are bars everywhere with an open fire burning. Guinness is a fine drink for a cold sunday afternoon, reading the Sunday papers at "The Eagle". Most private houses still have working fireplaces, whole streets scented with the smell of burning wood and coal. There's the warmth of the curry houses on Brick Lane, the smoke filled, beer scented warm noise of an old pub in the East End. There's the autumn fog when London looks like it should be looking, when everything's a film set. There's sitting in a cafe in Soho, seeing the old red buses trundeling through the mist, windows aglow in yellow and misted up. Sitting around a large table with friends while it is pouring with rain outside, a sunday roast, a couple of bottles of red... I could go on I like winter.
So, basically mate, what you're saying is - as long as you can have a drink, you're happy?!!

I love London too, but the bar prices are horrendous.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 09:20 AM

I hate Sydney. I very much dislike the whether. I want to move to Scotland.

That's all.
In vino veritas.

GeminiFossil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 03:16 PM

Ok, so I will be the odd ball here and say the best city is Las Vegas. Been there twice now, going back there this summer, and would love to live there.

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 09:05 AM

at 3: London is great but only if you live there when your single and not a student, best place the czech bar in west hampstead!

at 2: Edinburgh, for short sharp shocks, (mainly in the vodka bar!) best place, natural history museum

at 1 tied: Belfast, hell i live here, and it does offer everything, just a bit shabby round the edges. Best place Holywood or Katy Daleys/Limelight

at 1 tied NYC(manhattan), a complete urban city/country, and you can never fail to have fun! Best place a bar in the village that had metal walls in 1999 but it was 2 in the morning and i had so many jackie d's i can barely remember!
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 10:08 AM

My Fav cities

1 ) Chicago
2 ) Barcelona
3 ) Boston
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 04:17 PM

The List, sorted by continent (based on personal experience):

N.A.: New York. C'mon people, New Frigging York! Runner Up: Boston, as usual...
S.A.: Sao Paolo. Man oh man... Runner up: Lima.

Europe: Barcelona, but only after much deliberation. They have a beach, basically. Runners up: Paris, Amsterdam, London, St. Petersburg, god Europe's a kick in the head.

Africa: Fez, actually it's probably Cape Town, but I've never been there.

Asia: Tokyo. Runner up: Hong Kong. Bright lights, big cities.

Australia/ rest of world: Sidney.

Seems obvious, but those are some really cool cities people. I'm not kicking myself for ending up in Paris though.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 04:28 PM

Man, some serious anglophone bias going on.

Barcelona and Paris have to be near the top of the list with NYC.

Cities that should be seriously considered: Munich, Berlin, Florence, Rome, Vienna, Prague, Budapest

Each of which are absolutely remarkable places bursting with cultural richness, unique energy and staggering beauty.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules