Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My Brand New iPod 5G Screen scratched and has a Dead Pixel!!

My Brand New iPod 5G Screen scratched and has a Dead Pixel!!
joel_v
Nov 15, 2005, 05:26 PM

It Has been just over a week since i recieved my wonderful new ipod video. At first i was so happy, but i noticed that it had come with a 2cm faint scratch on it (that didn't make me happy).
As time has shown, the ipod screen is very weak and has suffered more scratches. I scratched it just cleaning the screeen with my shirt. Its not like im treating it like crap either.

But that is not the main problem. There is a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, its very small, but it is so annoying. I'm going to ring up apple today, and see what they can do for me.

I even found that sliding the iPod in and out of its new case, leaves slight scratches.

If youve got scratches, i recommened using www.icleaner.com
( Last edited by joel_v; Nov 17, 2005 at 07:28 PM. )

SShoot3r
Nov 15, 2005, 10:35 PM

you are inevitable gonna get scratches on your ipod.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 12:32 AM

Let us know what Apple says.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 12:41 AM

It would be a pain if they didn`t replace it. I`m thinking of getting one over xmas, but have a nagging feeling that somehow the same thing is going to happen to me.

joel_v  (op)
Nov 16, 2005, 02:15 AM

I just rang an apple store then, and they told me to bring it in so they can suss it out. I sure hope they give me a replacement.

I forgot to mention before, it came and the screen was crooked (like off-set, not parallel with the white plastic around the screen).
I'll see if i can chuck some pictures up.
( Last edited by joel_v; Nov 16, 2005 at 02:21 AM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 02:24 AM

I leave the protective layer on my new 60GB white iPod.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I leave the protective layer on my new 60GB white iPod.
Doesn't that mean there's a "Don't Steal Music" in four languages covering the screen?
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

joel_v  (op)
Nov 16, 2005, 04:52 AM

No, there is a plastic sleve that encases the ipod with the 'Don't Steal Music' thing on it....but its not sticky. Then theres the protective layer, which is sticks to the ipod.

joel_v  (op)
Nov 17, 2005, 07:21 PM

I took the iPod back to a apple centre yesterday, and i had to argue a bit for them to give me another one, but they did.

I was only about 2 mins away from the store (on my way home) when i took out my new iPod, and the first thing i saw on the screen.....Another Dead Pixel. I went straight back to the store and showed them.

Now they weren't happy at all. They were saying that i was too fussy, and that "I was just trying to find a fault in the product".

I said when your paying this kind of money, you should be allowed to be fussy. I just want an iPod that has no problems with it. I think I've got a bit of bad luck.
They were going to check with their superviser about what they can do, and get back to me today.

I sure hope apple can solve this problems of the dead pixel (prism effect in the screen)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2005, 08:57 PM

Could you explain what you mean when you call dead pixels the prism effect?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 17, 2005, 09:35 PM

Purchase your ipod from bestbuy I used my 5g for almost 30 days then returned it for a brand new ipod. I left the plastic on as well and took it off to find scratches underneath.... Bestbuy took it back no questions asked. Gotta love it.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

volcano
Senior User
Nov 18, 2005, 05:11 AM

Jaydon, may I ask why you returned yours? Did it have a problem?

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 18, 2005, 05:10 PM

No real problems other scratches and the battery seemed to die quickly.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

xspriter
Nov 18, 2005, 06:58 PM

sounds to me like he got a little spittle on the screen. that certainly would cause a "dead pixel prism effect". the spit acts like lens and as you look at it from different angles you see magnified red, green, or blue pixels.

my vote: this guy is "too fussy"

seriously though, i do hope that the dead pixel thing is not a widespread issue. although one pixel that size isn't really a big deal. my psp has similarly sized pixels and i've got like 10 stuck ones and it's really only noticeable on pure black screen. but guess what, the games still play just fine and i barely even notice.

also, if you are expecting plastic not to scratch AT ALL just because you paid $400 for it... well guess what, one has nothing to do with the other. plastic scratches. get over it.

my ipod is beat to hell. guess what, it plays music beautifully, which is why i bought it. it's a piece of equipment, not a thong (ie fashion).

don't get too upset that i'm busting your balls. i'm mostly joking here. good luck with the ipod. hopefully apple takes care of any significatn issues for you.

cheers

joel_v  (op)
Nov 18, 2005, 10:18 PM

xspriter..i dont give a crap about the scratches on the screen...you can just use some icleaner to get them off...what i do care about is the dead pixel thingo...

maybe i am too fussy, but apple shouldn't be making products like this, and then saying their customers are too fussy.

There heading the right way for another lawsuit. Not by me though, i just want another ipod

volcano
Senior User
Nov 19, 2005, 05:53 AM

Joel -

Dead pixels happen. It's not an engineers fault, it's not Apple's fault... it could be a number of things: too many bumps during shipment, extremely high temperatures while in transit... anything! You can't expect perfection with every item you buy, ESPECIALLY when it comes to technological devices. Apple didn't cut corners maliciously while producing the screen for the iPod... they're just a way of life in the age of the LCD. Go on ANY product's forum, a product that uses an LCD (whether a monitor, mp3 player, or the like) and you'll see people complaining about a dead pixel all the time. For the most part, they're just isolated incidents.

I'm sorry you've encountered 2 iPods with dead pixels. But, needless to say - your case is isolated. You don't see a barrage of posts on this forums with people screaming about their iPods with dead pixels, do you? I think one or two posts regarding the issue isn't bad at all.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 06:26 AM

Note that he said he doean't think Apple should be making products like this, AND THEN saying their customers are too fussy when they complain about it.

Not either/or.
Linkinus is king.

danibo77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 05:27 PM

To all americans (espesially the ones up north)

There isn't a day that passes by without somebody complaining about LAW SUITS and other suits-me-not, concerning Apple, (and other companies)

I've been the proud owner of all but one generation of iPods (-4th gen) and i've seen many heavily used ones too. They have all got scratches, cause guess what: stuff made up from plastic will eventually get scratched!!

To this guy who cleaned his iPod with his shirt: Are you retarded or just acting like one?
All people wearing glasses (spectacles to some people) know that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER clean them using your shirt. I know, cause my glasses (plastic ones) always gets scratches the FIRST DAY I have them. Do I run back to the store because of that? No, cause it's sort of my mistake cleaning them with a shirt..

All things get scratches, especially things made of BLACK, SHINY PLASTIC.

You've never seen a BLACK CAR ?? Owners know that you shouldn't take one of those through a regular car-wash.. it needs abit more handle-with-care than a WHITE one.

Tip:
Leave the protective cover on until you get a proper shield. Else: Just accept the small scratches, after all, nothing lives forever..

Yours,

Daniel Borge / Norway

(Yes I know i shouldn't talk to ALL north-americans like this )

joel_v  (op)
Nov 19, 2005, 06:49 PM

volcano - yea, my case sure is isolated, looks like ive got some bad luck

danibo77 - im not complaing about the scratches mate (i was just mentioning that they get scratched easily)
what i was complaining about was the dead pixels, and btw, my ipod was white...and im not retarded either

Also the 3-4 gen ipod are much tougher than the current ipods (nano, video). My brother has had a 3gen for about 2 years (whenever it first came out) and it only has 1 or 2 scratches on it. Why because he treats his better in 2years, than i did in one week. No. Its because the new ipods are much weaker than the old ones.

Do you have and iPod 5G (video)? If you dont, well then when you get one, it'll be a whole different experience to you 4th gen. Maybe then you'll understand what im going through.
( Last edited by joel_v; Nov 20, 2005 at 12:05 AM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2005, 12:57 AM

Oi vey. That said I'll be picking up my iPod at BestBuy, partly because I work there, mainly because I know we take anything back within 14 days, so if I do have a dead pixel I'll simply return it for the same model. That said, I also plan on buying their PSP program on it, which is great because I'll get it half price as staff . I'm still debating whether or not I want just a 30 gigger or a 30 gigger and a small nano...

volcano
Senior User
Nov 20, 2005, 02:34 AM

I have to drive 60 miles today (Sunday) to go pick up my black 30GB iPod. I sent my old model in about 1 1/2 weeks ago due to the fact that my 20GB iPod kicked the bucket. Circuit City sent me the giftcard today, but alas, no store within a 50 mile radius has it (nor will they ship it currently) so I have to drive that far to get it. Oh well. I've been wanting to take a day trip for a while - I guess this will be a good excuse.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SShoot3r
you are inevitable gonna get scratches on your ipod.
I have owned a 1st, 2nd gen, mini and a nano and of all of them the nano scratches the WORST. I am sorry guys, but Apple skimped on the hardiness of the new clear plastic on the new iPods and it shows. Sure, they will scratch over time, but a soft cloth shouldn't scratch an iPod..and it did mine.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 20, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
I have owned a 1st, 2nd gen, mini and a nano and of all of them the nano scratches the WORST. I am sorry guys, but Apple skimped on the hardiness of the new clear plastic on the new iPods and it shows. Sure, they will scratch over time, but a soft cloth shouldn't scratch an iPod..and it did mine.
Lamewing - is your Nano white or black? I know it's been said a million times, but scratches and knicks are more apparent and obvious on black models.

I just came back from my 60 mile journey, and my iPod was in pristine condition (knock on wood). I haven't had a chance to hook it up to my iMac yet since I'm not at home - but I can't wait. I opt'd for the black model, so I'll share my thoughts on it's vulnerability to scratches when I get a chance to examine it more. I actually ordered both an Invisible Shield AND a Martin's Field full-body protector, so I'm torn between which to use at the moment. I want to retain the sleek look as much as possible, so I think that the Martin's Field's cover is the way to go for the time being. I've owned a 4G 20GB (color display) & 3G 15GB, so I'll compare when I use it more.

The kicker in my whole situation was this though: I ordered mine and opt'd to pick up the item in the store, and as my earlier post states, I had to drive 60 miles south to get it. I looked on the Circuit City website this morning to see availability of the item in the stores near my home - and guess what? The Circuit City roughly 5 miles from my house had it. I called both stores (the one I traveled to and the one near my home) to see if I could "transfer" the order from one to the other, but they said they couldn't do it. Luckily it's a Sunday afternoon so traffic on I-35 wasn't too bad... I only encountered 1 accident along the way. I loathe that interstate, as I'm sure everyone who lives/lived in Austin does. Oh well. I'm happy, nonetheless.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by danibo77
To all americans (espesially the ones up north)

There isn't a day that passes by without somebody complaining about LAW SUITS and other suits-me-not, concerning Apple, (and other companies)

I've been the proud owner of all but one generation of iPods (-4th gen) and i've seen many heavily used ones too. They have all got scratches, cause guess what: stuff made up from plastic will eventually get scratched!!

To this guy who cleaned his iPod with his shirt: Are you retarded or just acting like one?
All people wearing glasses (spectacles to some people) know that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER clean them using your shirt. I know, cause my glasses (plastic ones) always gets scratches the FIRST DAY I have them. Do I run back to the store because of that? No, cause it's sort of my mistake cleaning them with a shirt..

All things get scratches, especially things made of BLACK, SHINY PLASTIC.

You've never seen a BLACK CAR ?? Owners know that you shouldn't take one of those through a regular car-wash.. it needs abit more handle-with-care than a WHITE one.

Tip:
Leave the protective cover on until you get a proper shield. Else: Just accept the small scratches, after all, nothing lives forever..

Yours,

Daniel Borge / Norway

(Yes I know i shouldn't talk to ALL north-americans like this )
I've had a black glossy SE v600 for 6 months, its been in my pocket with change and my keys, and tossed around at home. Not one visible scratch it on. Some plastics are more scratch resistant than others.
MBP 1.83

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
Lamewing - is your Nano white or black? I know it's been said a million times, but scratches and knicks are more apparent and obvious on black models.

I just came back from my 60 mile journey, and my iPod was in pristine condition (knock on wood). I haven't had a chance to hook it up to my iMac yet since I'm not at home - but I can't wait. I opt'd for the black model, so I'll share my thoughts on it's vulnerability to scratches when I get a chance to examine it more. I actually ordered both an Invisible Shield AND a Martin's Field full-body protector, so I'm torn between which to use at the moment. I want to retain the sleek look as much as possible, so I think that the Martin's Field's cover is the way to go for the time being. I've owned a 4G 20GB (color display) & 3G 15GB, so I'll compare when I use it more.

The kicker in my whole situation was this though: I ordered mine and opt'd to pick up the item in the store, and as my earlier post states, I had to drive 60 miles south to get it. I looked on the Circuit City website this morning to see availability of the item in the stores near my home - and guess what? The Circuit City roughly 5 miles from my house had it. I called both stores (the one I traveled to and the one near my home) to see if I could "transfer" the order from one to the other, but they said they couldn't do it. Luckily it's a Sunday afternoon so traffic on I-35 wasn't too bad... I only encountered 1 accident along the way. I loathe that interstate, as I'm sure everyone who lives/lived in Austin does. Oh well. I'm happy, nonetheless.
Both scratch equally; thanks to the softer plastics, but the black one simply shows the scratches more. Nonetheless, they both scratch much eaiser than the 1st and 2nd gen models.

I-35 is bad up here in DFW as well, but I would rather drive in Fort Worth than Dallas or Austin...

memory-minus
Senior User
Nov 21, 2005, 11:48 AM

My 5G black 60GB iPod video had a dead pixel right out of the box... it was replaced by Apple without question and the new one is flawless.

joel_v  (op)
Nov 22, 2005, 02:08 AM

memory-minus...your lucky mate..ive gone through alot of crap with my ones. I still dont have an iPod. Im waiting for my apple store to send me out my money (cause they wouldnt replace mine).

When i get my money, im going straight to another apple store to buy another one. Hopefully i dont have any more problems.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by joel_v
memory-minus...your lucky mate..ive gone through alot of crap with my ones. I still dont have an iPod. Im waiting for my apple store to send me out my money (cause they wouldnt replace mine).

When i get my money, im going straight to another apple store to buy another one. Hopefully i dont have any more problems.
From a human behavior standpoint, I find it interesting that even after some folks have nothing but problems with the iPod, they keep going back for more. Nothing bad to Apple or people who are customers, but interesting nontheless.

RaulCota
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 12:28 PM

I just got my new 30gb white iPod video for Christmas . BUT, I admin it does scratch very easily, I noticed scratches on it right out of the box, my PSP has just as glossy of a display and not a single scratch and I've had it a year. I just ordered screen protectors (http://boxwave.com/products/cleartou...o-30gb_808.htm) yesterday $17+ with shipping for a piece of plastic, but it's worth it for my iPod. I noticed last night when I put my first video on it that there is a dead pixel, you can't notice it until the screen is dark.

Dead Pixels - Manufacturing defect, it happens on all newer LCD devices, as the displays get smaller and at higher resolutions there are instances where the pixels are stuck in the on (white or other color) or off (black or no color) state.

I am going to see if I can take the ipod to the apple store and get a replace ment that way when my portectors come in I can put them on a, hopefully, scratch free iPod. It is going to be a pain in the bu** though since my Titanium powerbook has only USB 1.1 and I have not purchased a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card. It took 3 hours to transfer all my music when I got the iPod! RIP firewire

Damon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 11:45 AM

I have been interested in owning an iPod for some time, but waited until the 5G video iPod came out before ever buying one. It finally had everything I wanted so I couldn't wait any longer.

I had my first one for about eight days. I was happy enough with it until I started loading up photos and videos. It was then that I noticed four dead pixels in the display. They were clear and bright which was annoying when looking at it for a while. I called the business where I purchased it and asked them about the situation. The person I spoke to told me that she thought that I would have to have it sent in to be repaired. I informed her that I just bought it and that that was completely unacceptable.

Feeling like they were just going to give me the run-around I immediately called Apple. I was informed that in the case of the 5G video, one dead pixel of the "clear and bright type" was enough reason to have it immediately replaced as long as it was still within the first 2 weeks. Even if it had been over 2 weeks they would still replace it, it would just take longer. Approximately 10 days.

He then said he would right up a case and give me the case number. Well, I went to the shop where I purchased it, repeated this information to them and gave them the case number. I had a new iPod immediately. No arguments.

I now have my second black 5G and no dead pixels.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2006, 03:55 PM

Apple claims that they used the same plastic finish as the other generations. The LCD display makes it MUCH easier to see scratches because the scratch will actually slightly distort the fine pixels that are being shown underneath. However, the black and white iPods didn't have much detail in the display. It was black and white pixels that were big enough to see even through tons of scratches and people just didn't seem to mind as much. Now, that the screen is higher resolution and color, scratches get in the way of the colorful images on the screen.

I agree that Apple should have used a more scratch resistant material... I mean...my cell phone's display is almost scratch free and I throw the thing around cause I don't care about it... but, the display is low resolution and it's way easier to see... although looks worse than the iPod display.

Those are my thoughts....

Besides, I don't think you really wanna be throwing around something that has a hard drive in it. Do you take your computer and stick it in your pocket with your keys and then go skateboarding? Probably not. The iPod is like a mini computer, treat it like one and you'll have a long lasting iPod.

David Thompson
Feb 14, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I agree that Apple should have used a more scratch resistant material...
...or at least not use a glossy finish which shows the scratches more readily.
PM/DP2.0/2.5G; PB15/1.33/768MB

xnecrosisx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 07:07 PM

My black 60gb has 2 dead pixels on it. It sucks. I am going to see if they'll replace it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules