Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM upgrades of Macbook

RAM upgrades of Macbook
rocky raccoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 04:32 AM

is there a difference between the RAM use in the macbook or the macbook pro?

if there isnt, what type of ram is used? DIMM or SO-DIMM?

also does anyone know where to get the bext quality RAM in the UK?

and is it easy enough to install?

(i havnt purchased my macbook yet, still waiting)

cyberwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 08:18 AM

Hello,

I believe the RAM used is the same in the MB as the MBP; SO-DIMM. Crucial are a good bet: http://www.crucial.com/uk/ .As for the ease of installation: that is rather subjective. There is much information regarding installing RAM into a MB on the internet including Apple's own website, use a search engine 'install ram macbook'.
MB 1.83GHz/2GB
ACD 20"

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 08:40 AM

Look beyond form factor-there are a lot of different SODIMMs. The MacBook uses 200-pin SODIMMs rated as DDR2 PC2-5300. So does the MBP. But there are SODIMMs for plain DDR RAM, and for SDRAM. Be careful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rocky raccoon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 09:17 AM

so, er, what does that mean? sorry im quite alien to things like this? but i just know i dont want to pay way over the odds for RAM upgrade on a macbook.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 11:05 AM

It means that you have to get RAM for your computer, not just of the same shape.

Buy from a known entity like Crucial and Kingston, or at least use their configuration tools to get part numbers for YOUR computer. You can easily search for a Kingston or Crucial part number through Google and find resellers that might be significantly less expensive than buying the part direct. And NewEgg tends to have decen prices on good names in RAM, so look there.

But ALWAYS look for the specs for YOUR computer-you need what I said-DDR2, PC5300 200-pin SODIMMs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rocky raccoon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 11:19 AM

thank you!

deslock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 02:33 PM

It's easy to install, though you need to make sure it's pushed in all-the-way. FYI, I picked up two 1GB chips at Newegg last week for $71.99 each. They've gone back up to $82.99 since, but that's still a good price for a big-name outfit like Newegg.

I used to go with Crucial for memory, but they're not as competitively priced as they used to be and most memory manufacturers offer lifetime warranties (and in the case of Newegg, they'll replace the memory in the first year so you don't have to go to the manufacturer until after that).

Whatever you get, keep your original memory chips so if the new memory does fail, you can use the original 512MB until the 2GB chips are replaced.

craigb6
Aug 15, 2006, 02:43 PM

If you're in the UK you can't buy from Newegg as they don't ship there. The best RAM deal I could find was from OWC who do ship to the UK, it seems like it is cheaper to get RAM sent from the US than to get it from a UK online store.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules