Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canada!!

Canada!!
MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 10:04 AM

So i have decided I hate America.. I want to leave it. How do I do this? I live 300 miles from Canada, Can I go up and find a job? I know in the us you fill out an I-9 (or something similar) form to prove residency. Can non-Canadians get a job without citizenship? I looked into getting citizenship, but it looks like you need to be there for a while. The question, If I go to Canada with a few grand can I pull off the move? I could come up with 5 or 6 thousand US dollars. Could I get a new start with that?
I can hear the goose-steps getting closer.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 10:05 AM

I say go for it.

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
I say go for it.
I agree.

Care to answer any of my questions about the transition?

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by MPC:
I agree.

Care to answer any of my questions about the transition?
I really wish I could.

Not familiar with that kinda stuff, unfortunately.

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Apr 3, 2003, 10:13 AM

Im sure they would be glad to accept you.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
Im sure they would be glad to accept you.
Thanks for the compliment..

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Apr 3, 2003, 10:17 AM

no I really mean this. Im sure you could get citizen ship easily.. but my best advise is to search around for a country you might like. That way you know that you made a right choice
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
no I really mean this. Im sure you could get citizen ship easily.. but my best advise is to search around for a country you might like. That way you know that you made a right choice
It's actually not easy. I have looked into Canada, Iceland, and New Zealand. You can't just land and get a job and apartment. If anyone can tell me how to do this i'll give you a nice bag of weed.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 10:30 AM

So i have decided I hate America.. I want to leave it. How do I do this? I live 300 miles from Canada, Can I go up and find a job? I know in the us you fill out an I-9 (or something similar) form to prove residency. Can non-Canadians get a job without citizenship? I looked into getting citizenship, but it looks like you need to be there for a while. The question, If I go to Canada with a few grand can I pull off the move? I could come up with 5 or 6 thousand US dollars. Could I get a new start with that?
So why have you decided that you hate America? Just curious. Have you tried looking on the internet for jobs and housing in Canada?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
So why have you decided that you hate America? Just curious. Have you tried looking on the internet for jobs and housing in Canada?
#1. this war.
#2. It goes way past this war.
#3. Healthcare, I hate the fact I can't go to the doctor since I can't afford it. My legs have scabs on them and I don't know why. I have a job, my CEO makes millions while I worry about having diabetes. But, I can't go to the doctor. I can't pay the bill. My ankles have gained over 1 inch in the last year, and are full of scabs that won't go away. ????
#4. The CEO of Disney laid off 10,000 workers while his salary was half a billion per year.
#5. I hate America since most people only care about the car in their driveway and not the person across town.
#6. I hate America because we drop million dollar bombs on a country and forget about the fact Oregon almost had to cut 20 days from the school year. Lucky us, the teachers are now teaching for free.
#7. and the list goes on and on and I'm tired...

Oh, I was curious if I could actually get a job and housing in Canada. Looking for them comes next..

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 10:54 AM

It's actually not easy. I have looked into Canada, Iceland, and New Zealand. You can't just land and get a job and apartment. If anyone can tell me how to do this i'll give you a nice bag of weed.
But why?????

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 10:59 AM

Here you go:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/

All the information about moving to Canada you could ever need. It's a lot more involved than you think though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 11:04 AM

#1. this war.
#3. Healthcare, I hate the fact I can't go to the doctor since I can't afford it. My legs have scabs on them and I don't know why. I have a job, my CEO makes millions while I worry about having diabetes. But, I can't go to the doctor. I can't pay the bill. My ankles have gained over 1 inch in the last year, and are full of scabs that won't go away. ????
#4. The CEO of Disney laid off 10,000 workers while his salary was half a billion per year.
#5. I hate America since most people only care about the car in their driveway and not the person across town.
#6. I hate America because we drop million dollar bombs on a country and forget about the fact Oregon almost had to cut 20 days from the school year. Lucky us, the teachers are now teaching for free.

Oh, I was curious if I could actually get a job and housing in Canada. Looking for them comes next..
From what I understand Healthcare in Canda isn't any better, You have to wait months to see a doctor and most times Animals get major surgery or see a vet before humans get to see a doctor.

They don't lay off people in Canada? The CEO's there don't make millions either?

Not sure what you mean by they care about the car in there own driveway and not other people across town? If by that you mean I only care about myself. Then I would say it happens everywhere not just in the US.

You hate that we drop million dollar bombs and Oregon had to cut 20 days from school. What does that have to do with anything? We spend MILLIONS on Education and it doesn't help, if we spend millions on education and kids still don't know the capital of there own state or where Iraq or England are on a Map.

In NY they spend close to 9,000 per student but yet some students still cant read at grade level. How would spending more money help?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 11:08 AM

Sorry I can't give specifics, but if you are seriously thinking of moving, you might want to try looking for a job first. Especially if you already have your degree and a bit of work experience.

The U.S. isn't the only country that is importing tech workers, (which I assume you are since you're posting on a friggin' computer forum) and the company's HR department would help you out with all the necessary paperwork.

But it's hard enough to find a job in the U.S. right now, I imagine finding a job anywhere would be a hassle. And I doubt they pay for interview candidates' international flights unless you a really big hot-shot.

Also, some countries will automatically grant you citizenship if your parents or grandparents were born there. I know that Ireland does this...

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
But why?????

I like you and Voodoo, and Hugi? I need to buy you guys a beer.

What you hate I might need. Quick, what's your neighbors name? I don't know mine. I live with a million people and don't know my neighbors name. I want to live in a community!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 11:13 AM

I live with a million people and don't know my neighbors name. I want to live in a community!
Then you need to move to a smaller town. What you are describing is a universal problem. Big places are anonymous.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 11:19 AM

What you hate I might need. Quick, what's your neighbors name? I don't know mine. I live with a million people and don't know my neighbors name. I want to live in a community!
Beer, someone said a beer? Your welcome, I'll drive you from the airport, no problem at all (I don't drink, but I'm sure Voodoo and Hugi would love it and I'd make an exception if you do). But be prepared to pay 7.5 dollars(600 isk) for a beer.

But other things are good here. Healthcare is good, education is ok, threat of terrorism at a minimum, great nature, beautiful women and I could go on.

For some reason I still want to move from here:/

I can try to find out some information for you if you want.......

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 11:19 AM

I know my neighbors' names. Of course, they are my in-laws...

Simply put, community is what you make of it. If all you ever do is leave your house to go to work and come home and spend your time on MacNN, then moving out of the country won't magically make your neighbors come to you.

But if you decide to participate in the community -- patronize local businesses, be involved in local events, going to a local place of worship regularly and talking to people, even taking a five-minute walk aroung the neighborhood every day -- you'll find that your American neighbors really do want to get to know you, if you'll ever leave the house.

As an aside, I've found that many people who complain about not knowing their neighbors don't have school-age kids. Once you do, you'll have to get to know your neighbors because your kids do!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Then you need to move to a smaller town. What you are describing is a universal problem. Big places are anonymous.
That's BS and you know it!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 11:36 AM

#1. this war.
So disagree with it. Moving to Canada won't stop it.

OK.

Healthcare is expensive for two reasons. Neither of them is the fact that the government doesn't have ENOUGH control.

Reason #1: Lawyers (sorry Simey).

Reason #2: Bureaucracy - my wife works as a medical receptionist and my mom is an office manager/nurse. They spend over half their day with government required paperwork that has nothing to do with treating a patient!

So he's an assh0le. Don't go to disneyland or their movies. Moving to Canada solves this how?

I think this is very much untrue. My car is a piece and I really like the people in my hometown. I think your statement is a gross generalization.

Talk to the Oregon legislature. Do you understand that the defense budget has nothing to do with education? Oregon has it's own problems, like every state. But that has nothing to do with America.

The fact that so much tax money goes to Washington and then is redistributed from the "education" budget is a shame. It should stay with the states in the first place.

Good luck in Canada.

Personally, I love this country and you couldn't force me to live under a socilized governent like Canada.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 11:37 AM

From what I understand Healthcare in Canda isn't any better, You have to wait months to see a doctor and most times Animals get major surgery or see a vet before humans get to see a doctor.

They don't lay off people in Canada? The CEO's there don't make millions either?

Not sure what you mean by they care about the car in there own driveway and not other people across town? If by that you mean I only care about myself. Then I would say it happens everywhere not just in the US.

You hate that we drop million dollar bombs and Oregon had to cut 20 days from school. What does that have to do with anything? We spend MILLIONS on Education and it doesn't help, if we spend millions on education and kids still don't know the capital of there own state or where Iraq or England are on a Map.

In NY they spend close to 9,000 per student but yet some students still cant read at grade level. How would spending more money help?
In Canada I might have to wait, but it won't destroy my credit if I can't pay.

Maybe, The last time I was there the wealth seemed to be distributed much more equitably.

And yes I was saying america seems much more concerned with personal wealth. The well being off all mankind seems to be a second thought.

In Oregon our schools are funded from taxes. Our unemployment rate has skyrocketed. So less taxes paid equals less school dollars. This damn 7 percent unemployment rate has ripped millions from our schools. The twenty billion given to the Airlines should have gone to our schools. That would have taught many kids the location of where there book money (I mean bombs) are falling.

In Oregon we spend ton's per kid too. The number is misleading. Special ed kids take up more money and so do the schools in small towns.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:

No need to apologize to me. I agree with tort reform. Excessive non-economic and punitive damages are hurting a lot of people. But part of the blame for that lies with the juries who make the awards as well as the lawyers who bring the cases.

Of course, the Democratic National Committee (a wholly owned subsidary of the American Trial Lawyers Association) see it differently.

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 12:04 PM

So disagree with it. Moving to Canada won't stop it.

OK.

Healthcare is expensive for two reasons. Neither of them is the fact that the government doesn't have ENOUGH control.

Reason #2: Bureaucracy - my wife works as a medical receptionist and my mom is an office manager/nurse. They spend over half their day with government required paperwork that has nothing to do with treating a patient!

So he's an assh0le. Don't go to disneyland or their movies. Moving to Canada solves this how?

I think this is very much untrue. My car is a piece and I really like the people in my hometown. I think your statement is a gross generalization.

Talk to the Oregon legislature. Do you understand that the defense budget has nothing to do with education? Oregon has it's own problems, like every state. But that has nothing to do with America.

The fact that so much tax money goes to Washington and then is redistributed from the "education" budget is a shame. It should stay with the states in the first place.

Good luck in Canada.

Personally, I love this country and you couldn't force me to live under a socilized governent like Canada.
davesimondotcom

No ****, At least I won't pay for it.

Healthcare is spendy because malpractice insurance, and the AMA limits the amount of doctors to artificially inflate prices. These should be done away with..

It doesn't solve it. Do I care? My point was this ****-wad makes millions while his ex-employees worry about feeding their children. Children are going to go hungry while this ****tard is fed grapes by skinny chicks.

Your right, it was a gross generalization. But in my eyes it stands true. All I see is what is best for me? All over the ****ing place, it's, me,me,me.. How can I get the most money?

And yes I do realize the defense budget isn't tied to the state. But is the Airline relief budget tied to the federal government? The twenty billion could have gone a long way on the state level..

I'm tired, that's sloppy, but goodnight. 40+ hours awake is killing me. Peace.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 12:09 PM

While I don't know much about Canadian immigration law, I hear they are rather strict. Of course being an American or Scandinavian helps when applying but it is still no guarantee. Practical things like good education, no criminal record and things like that definitely help.

Iceland has really stupid immigration laws IMO, but one has to apply for work permit while not in the country. Citizenship is awarded after a few years of living. Even so, as a taxpayer one gets all the benefits of a full citizen. Citizenship isn't that big a deal, but with Icelandic citizenship you really get Nordic citizenship. Meaning you get automatic work permit (and all other rights of citizenship) within the Nordic countries. (Sweden <shiver>, Norway (yay!!), Denmark (beer+cheeses!!), Finland (vodka+sauna!!) and Iceland. The Faeroe Islands and Greenland are included in the Nordic council with Denmark.

I'd like to move to Canada (or the US) sometime in the future myself. Vancouver BC preferably.

If you come to Iceland MPC, we'll buy you a beer!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 12:18 PM

The world is a difficult place. Some of the things you said about the USA I could say about Switzerland, especially with regard to not knowing my neighbours (I don't) and people caring more about their car (I do or else I lose my job). I have been trying to figure out a way to leave here for years, but it's difficult because I work for a pittance and getting into Australia is as difficult as it is getting into Canada. My last bet and probably what I will end up doing is going back to South Africa. I miss the good weather, and the fcat that peope can make jokes and have a beer even though they're poor and the country is crime ridden. When I figure out a way to make that happen financially (There's no welfare in South Africa) then I will do it.

I don't know how prepared to take risks you are, but I lived and worked in a number of countries illegally (Holland, Spain and Turkey). Spain was great in that the people are very friendly and the weather is good. Turkey was interesting but hard. In Holland the Women were amazing but the country is as tough as nails underneath a nice exterior.

I lived and worked legally in Germany and have lived in Switzerland for about 12 years now. Berlin was and is fantastic. Switzerland has a high standard of living and good medical care. I wouldn't recommend it if you feel you need friendly people around you though. You'ld love Australia though.

The thing about CEO's makng millions and you not earning anything is and people being laid off is a worldwide phenomonen and is by no means only happening in the US. The war is by no means the only thing to blame for all of this but the considerable international uncertainty since the 9/11 thing, including Afghanistan and now Iraq are definitely making things worse.

I would take a look around you and think about what skills you have, not only technical, but also things like languages, communication, financial etc. You might have the skills needed to go and make a living for yourself in Brazil for instance or perhaps even Chile or Mexico. Who knows.

If you would come to Europe and could live here legally you would have no probelms with medical care, as most countries (Switzerland and almost all EU states) have good national medical aid. Living here legally could be a problem though.

You could also try places like the Czech republic, Prague has almost 30 000 Americans, where medical care is cheap, but making money would not be that easy.

However, if there's a will, there's often a way
weird wabbit

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 12:31 PM

Thank you the last couple of posters. I was never looking for a debate. Info was my idea. I just got sucked in..

theolein

voodoo

logic

mastrap

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 12:45 PM

Obviously, you have plenty of money for weed - enough that you're offering to give a free sack of it to anyone who helps you w/ this transition.

I can guarantee you one thing - that CEO making a million dollars hasn't been wrapping his lips around the pipe every day for the last ??? years.

I occasionally indulge in the green myself, but I never complain about what others have achieved and earned while blaming others (like a 2-year-old Administration) for my own shortcomings.

Question: How much do you spend a month on weed?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 12:46 PM

Benefits of Canada:

* Better beer - higher alcohol content.

* Hockey on TV regularly

MPC - just a question, when you leave for Canada, would you renouce your US citizenship? Or would you aim for dual citizenship?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 01:07 PM

In Canada I might have to wait, but it won't destroy my credit if I can't pay.

Maybe, The last time I was there the wealth seemed to be distributed much more equitably.

And yes I was saying america seems much more concerned with personal wealth. The well being off all mankind seems to be a second thought.

In Oregon our schools are funded from taxes. Our unemployment rate has skyrocketed. So less taxes paid equals less school dollars. This damn 7 percent unemployment rate has ripped millions from our schools. The twenty billion given to the Airlines should have gone to our schools. That would have taught many kids the location of where there book money (I mean bombs) are falling.

In Oregon we spend ton's per kid too. The number is misleading. Special ed kids take up more money and so do the schools in small towns.
http://www1.sympatico.ca/highspeed/f...mployment.html

Canada's Unemployment Rate is 7.4 percent how is that better than where you are?

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 01:09 PM

Benefits of Canada:

* Better beer - higher alcohol content.

* Hockey on TV regularly

MPC - just a question, when you leave for Canada, would you renouce your US citizenship? Or would you aim for dual citizenship?
That's iffy.
I do Basketball, The Kings, Go Bibby...
I would tottally give up us citizenship. I don't need it.. I don't need America.. I would give my citizenship for a can of pepsi.

No Dual... I don't wan't this monkey on my back... Bye America..

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 01:15 PM

That's iffy.
I do Basketball, The Kings, Go Bibby...
I would tottally give up us citizenship. I don't need it.. I don't need America.. I would give my citizenship for a can of pepsi.

No Dual... I don't wan't this monkey on my back... Bye America..
Let me know where I can send you the Can of Pepsi. Just mail your Pasport back to the Government. I don't think you need it to cross into Canada.

MPC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 01:15 PM

http://www1.sympatico.ca/highspeed/f...mployment.html

Canada's Unemployment Rate is 7.4 percent how is that better than where you are?
Unemployement benifits. Does Canada do the Dole? I might be able to pay the rent in Canada if I lose my job. 7.5 is about our unemployment rate. Were ****ed if we lose our job In river city.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 01:22 PM

Unemployement benifits. Does Canada do the Dole? I might be able to pay the rent in Canada if I lose my job. 7.5 is about our unemployment rate. Were ****ed if we lose our job In river city.
Curious this. Your ancestors probably came to America is search of opportunity. You decide to leave in search of welfare benefits.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 01:25 PM

Curious this. Your ancestors probably came to America is search of opportunity. You decide to leave in search of welfare benefits.

Amongst a couple of thousand Pakistanis who are frightened of being deported in the fight against Islam, whoops, I meant terror.
weird wabbit

DBursey
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 02:35 PM

I've been to hospitals and clinics all across this fair land. I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes to see a doctor. Nor has anyone I know. Our health care is accessible 24/7/365. Where are you people getting these ideas?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
I've been to hospitals and clinics all across this fair land. I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes to see a doctor. Nor has anyone I know. Our health care is accessible 24/7/365. Where are you people getting these ideas?
There may be waiting lists for specialized treatments, such as heartsurgery, psoreasis treatment and other treatments. I dunno, but that is the trouble here in the North. Other than that, there are no waitng lists.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 02:50 PM

And yes I do realize the defense budget isn't tied to the state. But is the Airline relief budget tied to the federal government? The twenty billion could have gone a long way on the state level..
True, I have no love lost for the airline industry (BTW Air Canada declared bankruptcy yesterday). But perhaps it's time Oregon discovered the glory of SALES TAX. It's also a little misleading to just talk numbers when talking of education, since I know that the California public education system, for example, wastes a lot of money on over-administration, corruption, etc.

Canada is a nice country though, I'm a big fan of Vancouver Good luck to you either way.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:05 PM

MPC, the problem is YOUR, not America. You seem to be an anger and miserable guy. Perhaps you should go see a counselor.

Blaming all of it on America is silly, really.

Just a little note: smoking weeds usually cause poor judgement.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
MPC, the problem is YOUR, not America. You seem to be an anger and miserable guy. Perhaps you should go see a counselor.

You don't get it. You just don't. <sigh>

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

You don't get it. You just don't. <sigh>
Oh, thank you for the rolling eyes. It really made my day

If I were MPC, I would just say this "I happened to dislike the way America is running itself" instead of "I hate America because they doesn't give a **** about Americans".

If he like Canada better than America, good for him but it's stupid to put America down just because he happened to dislike them.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 03:25 PM

I immigrated from Canada to the US so you can take my spot. <grin>

The health care system isn't nearly as bad as Americans make it out to be. But yeah, they do ration it. A lot of systems like MRIs simply aren't that common. So be prepared to be frustrated if they decide you don't have a condition that needs immediate treatment.

Canada has the strongest economy they've ever had at the moment. However be prepared. A strong Canadian economy is still much weaker than a weak American economy. But by and large menial jobs in Canada pay quite well. The government makes it so you can actually live on working in a grocery store or a gas station. I'm not sure that's right, but by and large Canadians like it.

It is pretty. There's a lot more regulation in Canada though. You may get frustrated. Vancouver is a beautiful area but the speed limits and police controls drive me crazy. The speed limit in most places is 45 mph and they enforce it so badly that most people drive under the limit, just in case.

If I had to live in Canada I'd pick Alberta. It has the strongest economy in the country and is much more American that most places. Stay away from the east coast. Very, very high unemployment. (I'm from Nova Scotia) A little run down as well.

Some people love Canada. I get very frustrated there even though I think it is far more beautiful than the US. I love in particular the Canadian rockies.

As an American you shouldn't have much trouble immigrating. If you aren't used to a high standard of living you'll like it there a lot. A lot of Americans who are middle class don't like it up there though. Overall it ends up being more expensive. (IMO)

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:34 PM

MPC

Tell me what you want in a country and I'll tell you how it is here on the island.

Also tell me what you want to work with and etc.........

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Some people love Canada. I get very frustrated there even though I think it is far more beautiful than the US. I love in particular the Canadian rockies.
That's for sure. The Canadian Rockies are gorgeous.

I wouldn't suggest Calgary though - they might be upset about the fact they probably won't make the playoffs this year. Might not be as friendly as usual!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:39 PM

That's for sure. The Canadian Rockies are gorgeous.

I wouldn't suggest Calgary though - they might be upset about the fact they probably won't make the playoffs this year. Might not be as friendly as usual!
Hasn't that become business as usual for them?

You could go to Edmonton, they have a really big mall

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:40 PM

I need to remeber this one for my all-time top ten list.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

A good friend of mine is similar to this - always bitching about how hard it is for him to keep his head above the poverty line, how only the rich succeed, and how other countries really 'take care' of their people.

He's never too short on cash for weed, though, and would rather spend days/weeks/months on a couch doing bong hits instead of socializing, furthering his career, pursuing a college degree, exercising, etc.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 05:28 PM

A good friend of mine is similar to this - always bitching about how hard it is for him to keep his head above the poverty line, how only the rich succeed, and how other countries really 'take care' of their people. He's never too short on cash for weed, though, and would rather spend days/weeks/months on a couch doing bong hits instead of socializing, furthering his career, pursuing a college degree, exercising, etc.

An other benefit to moving to Canada. The weed is much cheaper and is generally conceded to be among the best there is. In BC in particular it is (unofficially) one of the biggest cash crops in the Province. Something like 1/3 of the weed in the US now comes from BC. According to that MTV special anyway. Not being one who would waste my time smoking weed, I don't know. But that's what my friends say as well.

They also don't care as much about small pot possessions up there. (Not that they do in the states either, although I know most fines are between $1000 - $2000)

A good friend of mine is similar to this - always bitching about how hard it is for him to keep his head above the poverty line, how only the rich succeed, and how other countries really 'take care' of their people.

There is also working its way through the legal system serious questions regarding small time pot possession.

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2003/03/30/54550-cp.html

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:

He's never too short on cash for weed, though, and would rather spend days/weeks/months on a couch doing bong hits instead of socializing, furthering his career, pursuing a college degree, exercising, etc.
That's another thing that gets me. I hear a lot of people say that they have a hard time keeping above the poverty line or that only the rich succeed. I think that is a load of crap. You may never be as rich as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or people like that but you can still live comfortably. I see a lot of mexicans, Asians and other come to this country not know a word of english but yet are able to make it in this country. Why is that? Is it becuase they are willing to work even if it is a meanial job and work on learning new skills to get a better job? I've seen a lot more non-American people who come to this country and work there A$$ off for less than most people Make but you don't hear them complain. They are just happy to have a job and to make money.

If you get fired from your job would you work pumping gas or work in a grocery store bagging or working the register til you found something better? Would you Buss tables at a resturant? Most people in the US find this below them and don't do it then complain that they don't have a job or that they are being not fairly treated by this company or that company because they got laid off or fired.

Lerkfish
Apr 3, 2003, 06:01 PM

not being judgemental at all, just pragmatic:
If you can't afford health care I'm confused how you are going to be able to afford the transportation costs to move to places like iceland?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 06:13 PM

That's another thing that gets me. I hear a lot of people say that they have a hard time keeping above the poverty line or that only the rich succeed. I think that is a load of crap. You may never be as rich as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or people like that but you can still live comfortably. I see a lot of mexicans, Asians and other come to this country not know a word of english but yet are able to make it in this country. Why is that? Is it becuase they are willing to work even if it is a meanial job and work on learning new skills to get a better job? I've seen a lot more non-American people who come to this country and work there A$$ off for less than most people Make but you don't hear them complain. They are just happy to have a job and to make money.

If you get fired from your job would you work pumping gas or work in a grocery store bagging or working the register til you found something better? Would you Buss tables at a resturant? Most people in the US find this below them and don't do it then complain that they don't have a job or that they are being not fairly treated by this company or that company because they got laid off or fired.
I think your idea of "making it" might need some revision. I would say "survive" describes it a bit more accurately.

Sounds to me like MPC is sick of "surviving" and wants to go somewhere where government (and community) are more publically minded.

Some people want to call it "welfare" as if wanting low crime, decent pay, good education and health care make you some kind of parasite.

Society is based on cooperation. People working together to secure common good which enables private good. I don't think MPC is alone in wondering if enough Americans see through the false promises of the Rat Race and Consumerism to be worthy partners in building a better tomorrow.

If you don't feel like anyone else cares, it's natural to think about going somewhere where people might care more. The grass is always greener, as they say, but maybe the grass really is greener--depending on what you want.

Then again, maybe MPC just needs to find a corner of America with more like-minded people to find what he's looking for.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules