Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Voodoo3 in PM7300 and OS 9: No 2D hardware acceleration?

Voodoo3 in PM7300 and OS 9: No 2D hardware acceleration?
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2002, 06:45 AM

Hi...

I've been using a Voodoo3 in my PowerMac 7300 with G3/450 for some time now, but I'll have to admit that it's kinda slow.
Before the purchase of the Voodoo3, I was using the onBoard GCard with 2MB VRAM, which actually in some cases seemed faster to me.

And I'm not talking 'bout 3D games here, but stuff like scrolling in the Web browser, or watching videos, it's awfully slow. So I'm beginning to think, that 2D hardware acceleration might not be available for the Voodoo3 card. I'm using the latest drivers from <a href="http://www.mac3dfx.com." target="_blank">www.mac3dfx.com.</a> The computer is running MacOS 9.1 and has 112MB of RAM. Why is it so damn slow?

[Edited to enable Email Notification]

<small>[ 06-13-2002, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: D'Espice ]</small>
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2002, 09:44 AM

Hey D'Espice,
Just a thought, but might want to check your extensions manager and make sure that the graphics drivers are disabled for all other graphics cards... sometimes, if the OEM driver is enabled, for some stupid reason the machine will still try to offload the workload to that card, even though nothing is connected to it. Not sure if this is the case for you, but worth a shot!
good luck,
dave

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2002, 10:16 AM

Thanks, but...

The Built-In Graphics Accelerator is disabled and was since I bought the V3, so that's probably not it. Also, no other drivers were or are installed.

Any further suggestions?

<small>[ 06-13-2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: D'Espice ]</small>
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2002, 10:22 AM

When you start up you should see a 3dfx extension load up (with no cross), right? If so...

Use the latest version of the drivers (b12 or b13) and even try the 3dfx drivers for the Voodoo 4/5 cards.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2002, 12:33 PM

Yes, I can see this extension and I'm already using the latest Beta-drivers. I might give the V4-drivers a shot though, maybe it'll help, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules