Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7300 and 128 meg chips

7300 and 128 meg chips
xmishx
Jun 8, 2002, 11:49 AM

A while ago, I got an 8500 for practically nothing and I wanted to get it going for a secondary computer. I bought 2) 128 meg chips (fpm) for it and it never did run right. Turns out it had a motherboard problem. I then acquired a Power Computing Power Center 240. I used the ram in that machine and I kept getting various errors and hangs. I got frustrated with the PC and traded it for a 7300. I put the ram in that machine and I got the same type of problems. The only consistant hardware of the 2 machines were the 2 gig hard drive and the ram. I've re-inialized the hd but always used the 128 meg ram chips. I guess the ram could be bad--both of them as I switched them out, which seems a bit absurd to me and I kept having the same problems. I found later on the Apple website that the 128 meg chips were not approved or tested for that machine. Does anyone out there use 128's in the older 7300's or PC's for that matter. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

X

<small>[ 06-08-2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: xmishx ]</small>

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 01:32 PM

My recommendation would be to try and isolate the hard drive and see if using another one would resolve the issue. It the heads were damaged in drive (which happens over time), if could be that even initializing the HD won't help you. Ram is much more resilient over time than HD's.
good luck
dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 01:35 PM

I forgot to add...
Although Apple never "approved or tested" the 128MB chips, they still whould work in your machine. I believe the 7300 can support up to a GB of memory (4x256). The reason Apple didn't approve or test it is that when the machine was made, those chips weren't available, but as technology moved forward, they were created (and tested by the chip companies).
good luck and let us know how it goes,
dave

xmishx  (op)
Jun 9, 2002, 02:14 PM

Thanks for responding Dave,

Turns out both of my ram chips were in fact bad. Tried them on another working machine and it ended up displaying the problems I had with my machines. I am hoping the emerchant I bought them from will be quick to replace them.

X

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 02:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by xmishx:
<strong>Thanks for responding Dave,

Turns out both of my ram chips were in fact bad. Tried them on another working machine and it ended up displaying the problems I had with my machines. I am hoping the emerchant I bought them from will be quick to replace them.

X</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">great to hear! that is the one nice thing about ram... any reputable dealer normally offers lifetime replacement!

<Jodarr>
Jun 10, 2002, 11:45 PM

I have 6, 128MB and 2, 32MB DIMMs for my 7500 and they work fine. Tech Tool Pro recognizes a pair as not 128MBs. But the tests come out with flying colors. I suspect its a TTPro issue. My System Profiler recognizes all of the interleaved DIMMs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules