Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Sharing wont complete starting up

File Sharing wont complete starting up
Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2001, 08:26 PM

I can no longer get File Sharing to work on my Mac OS 9.1 iMac system. I cannot think of anything I've done that may have caused this. It certainly used to work fine.

When I startup the Mac, FileSharing never starts up. If I open the File Sharing Control Panel, it shows that File Sharing is starting, but it never completes starting, it just stays at that "starting up" state indefinitely. If I hit "cancel" and then "start" to start it again, same thing.

I've deleted the both the "File Sharing CP" file and the "File Sharing" folder in the Preferences folder but this has made no difference!

Has anybody seen this? Anybody got any ideas how to fix it?

valdesgn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 08:42 PM

Every volume (disk) and partition on your Mac has an invisible Appleshare PDS file at its root level. These files frequently become corrupted. First make the files visible using any tool that toggles visibility. Then move the files to the trash. restart and new invisible files will be generated. Delete the old files. This will also speed up the time it takes Filesharing to startup and can be done on a routine basis.

One tool to help you manage these problems is AppleShare IP First Aid 6.3 available from Apple. Hope this helps.

Brian Gore
MIS/Production
Valentine Design

dennisobell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 10:34 AM

I know this thread is old-old-old, but I just wanted to say thanks to valdesgn for posting that advice (and MacNN for maintaining such good archives!) -- I was experiencing the exact same problem, I downloaded AppleShare IP First Aid and ran it, and now my file sharing is working again. Much obliged.

CMM
CMM

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 01:20 PM

For others that might experience this problem, sometimes another solution is to trash the "appleshare prep" preference (in the system preferences folder).
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules