Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dishonest Mac Users

Dishonest Mac Users (Page 2)
Bag Of Dicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 12:48 AM

HAY GUYS! WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?
"Eat me!"

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
If enough people call then maybe you will become eligible.
I am eligible.

I put in my serial number, and my purchase date, and then Apple told me I was eligible.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Bag Of Dicks:
HAY GUYS! WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

I would have to say that this thread is turning out to be the funniest in quite some time, evolving from a slight disagreement to humor. That's a cool thing about the Mac community in general - people decent and helping each other.

Now in the peecee realm, this would have degenerated into an all out flame war, rife with monosyllabic explicatives.

Glad we can agree not to agree on everything here.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:

Now in the peecee realm, this would have degenerated into an all out flame war, rife with monosyllabic explicatives...

I think you mean to say "expletives," you brainless chimp. Yeah, whatever. Fark you, too.

And you, Bag Of Dicks, you opportunistic incarnation, it's "hey" not "hay." Brainless ****.

So what was thread about, again?
I, ASIMO.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
I think you mean to say "expletives," you brainless chimp. Yeah, whatever. Fark you, too.

And you, Bag Of Dicks, you opportunistic incarnation, it's "hey" not "hay." Brainless ****.

So what was thread about, again?

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 02:20 AM

Screeeruuw Arnie, Asimo fer Govner! I think yur to posts maid me laff harder thin I half all munth!
( Last edited by wanderlust; Oct 10, 2003 at 02:25 AM. )

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 02:41 AM

***Sigh*** Anyway, I think it's "Bag o' Dicks" not "Bag OF Dicks".

beijinger
Oct 10, 2003, 02:47 AM

Lets say you walked down the street and saw a hundred dollar bill, would you pick it up and keep it? would you bring it to the police station and say hey, did anybody come in to say they lost this, or do you just leave it there? In what instance would I be called "honest" or "dishonest"?

Lets say you went to your grocery store bought a bunch of stuff but the cashier gave you 25 dollars change instead of 5 dollars which is what you should get, you are already home and do you go running back and say hey you gave me too much? Would I be "honest" or "dishonest"?

Lets say you are buying a new wallet but the price was marked incorrectly on this particular one whereas all others on the same shelf are 50 bucks more, do you take this one or do you say to yourself gosh, I got to tell the store manager this one is wrong and let me take the one marked 50 bucks more and pay for it? How am I to behave "honestly" or "dishonestly"?

To charge others as being "dishonest" is quite serious. It is filled with self-righteousness.

As for Apple, thank you, they are doing fine. Four billion dollars in cash, long lines waiting for the new PBs and Dual G5s. They would certainly appreciate more money from us Apple afficienados but I think they have quite a legal department that makes sure they get what they should get without the peanut gallery crying foul on their behalf. Least of all do they need fans to hurl "dishonesty" accusations against other fans who have spent lots of dough on Apple products recently.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Ummm, no offence, but do they teach grammar, spelling, and correct sentence construction in Rochester schools?
lmfao, you ARE kidding right?

Replaying abotu someone's grammar, spelling etc, and nlowing a word like

OFFENSE

laff

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 09:19 AM

Apple is a small company; all of us need to remember this.
Wrong.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 11:25 AM

...I am so glad that the up-to-date is working for some of us...as well it should.

There is no dishonesty here, just hard working folk who work hard and play hard to earn an "Honest" living.

Good to see many are calling with the serials to verify the qualification.

As for the humor??

Funking Sphinctacular!!!

LOVE IT!!!!
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

dialo
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 11:35 AM

A lot of people make those common errors buddy. Are and our exce-tera, and sense this is a message board you will c a lot of it. When I say there and their they sound the same. Sure it matters which one you use in writing, but it doesn't matter on a message board. Kind of like talking on a phone. You don't need to spell out the word there for someone to know what your talking about.
There's a difference between a simple typo and a series of deliberate choices that are so horribly wrong.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by wanderlust:
***Sigh*** Anyway, I think it's "Bag o' Dicks" not "Bag OF Dicks".
Oh, sorry.

Eat a bag o' dicks.

jyvin563
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 11:48 AM

LfGrdMike,

Who the hell are you? I bought a $3000 Powerbook 2 weeks ago and now I want a discount. What do you care? Screw you pal for telling people they are immoral and dishonest for doing so. It is none of your business, keep that in mind. People baffle me...
"While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."

Leo Gomes

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 01:00 PM

I don't care, and you know what, if you feel your doing no wrong then so be it. Who said my errors were deliberate. LOL, dialo thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I don't read over what I write on message boards.

I clearly said with errors to piss you off, jyvin563, that I don't care what you do. I am just saying its wrong, and you know it is if its before the date apple gives on the site. So I said "I don't care what you do". I also said there is a more honest way to get the upgrade before the date for the 20 dollar shipping price. Call the fllipping company. Duh, its not hard concept to take in.

So don't cream your jeans man.

Also you could of waited to buy that 3000 dollar computer. Did you just assume apple would give you a discount. who in the hell are you for thinking that. So don't even give me that ****. Go ahead flame me, but you can't deny the fact you assumed. So screw you. I don't care if I am mean to you. I am just treating you now the way you treated me.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Oct 10, 2003 at 01:20 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

jyvin563
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 02:09 PM

I don't care, and you know what, if you feel your doing no wrong then so be it. Who said my errors were deliberate. LOL, dialo thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I don't read over what I write on message boards.

I clearly said with errors to piss you off, jyvin563, that I don't care what you do. I am just saying its wrong, and you know it is if its before the date apple gives on the site. So I said "I don't care what you do". I also said there is a more honest way to get the upgrade before the date for the 20 dollar shipping price. Call the fllipping company. Duh, its not hard concept to take in.

So don't cream your jeans man.

Also you could of waited to buy that 3000 dollar computer. Did you just assume apple would give you a discount. who in the hell are you for thinking that. So don't even give me that ****. Go ahead flame me, but you can't deny the fact you assumed. So screw you. I don't care if I am mean to you. I am just treating you now the way you treated me.
Oh, this is fun.

It is none of your business what the hell anyone does. You think you are the "moral" good or something? "All you new Powerbook owners are dishonest for getting the Up-To-Date." Listen hippie, your morals, ethics, and rules for life don't apply to me so give it a rest. Your rights and wrongs are not my rights and wrongs. Since these sorts of things are OPINIONS, they are not cut and dry like you are making them to be.

Also, what the hell are you doing putting words in my mouth? I didn't assume a thing. If they hadn�t accepted my serial number, oh well, I would have purchased with the education discount. I bought the computer because I had to. It had nothing to do with the new OS. Who is making assumptions now? Remember, don't assume you make an a$$ out of u and me. Wait a sec, you already got that A$$ thing going...
"While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."

Leo Gomes

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 02:17 PM

I also said there is a more honest way to get the upgrade before the date for the 20 dollar shipping price. Call the fllipping company.
You say that as if you're sure Apple will give someone the upgrade for $19.95 just for asking nicely. The person on the phone will instead simply explain the policy and say "sorry."

You are right though, that lots of people calling the company to register complaints might eventually get results; who knows.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 03:11 PM

jyvin563, you are a flipping annoying me.

What did I say? FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME!
I told you I don't care what you do, and you are still flaming me. You�re defending your morals, and that�s fine. I am not yelling at you for what you did. I am merely making a simple point.

I didn�t say ALL the PowerBook owners were dishonest. Not all of them are. Some were able to get the update by calling on the phone and complaining about the situation nicely. Others like djava don�t give a hoot.

If you got the flipping machine in the date stated on the description page then your fine. If you bought it before the given date and are putting in your serial and it goes through this is wrong. You know it; I know it so shut your yap. If you don�t agree with me, fine. However I don�t need to listen to your wonderful vulgar words of wisdom. I accept this and knew some wouldn�t agree. This is your opinion, and I have no problem with that. I am simply expressing my opinion. I don�t think its right to the developers who worked under a sweat to get the project done. It�s also not right because you are getting something that the description page states you�re not eligible for. Regardless of the fact you bought your PowerBook recently or not. So I offered a suggestion to call apple and complain. My opinion is not getting into your business. Did I stop you from getting the update the way you did it; absolutely not so am I in your business. This is a forum people express their opinions.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Oct 10, 2003 at 03:17 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
You say that as if you're sure Apple will give someone the upgrade for $19.95 just for asking nicely. The person on the phone will instead simply explain the policy and say "sorry."

You are right though, that lots of people calling the company to register complaints might eventually get results; who knows.
Actually, it does work. I ordered my eMac three weeks ago and calling and asking nicely got me the $20 upgrade.

Enter your serial number and if it doesn't work, call and ask nicely. If it truly was some sort of glitch, Apple certainly has a user agreement somewhere that they cannot be held responsible for typos on their page. So if some web guy accidentally lists a G5 system as costing $199 instead of $1999, they wouldn't be required to provide you with a $199 G5.

Besides, if it was a glitch it would have been fixed long ago. Face it, this is Apple's problem so if their system says you qualify, even if their official statement says you don't, then call them just to make sure and you'll probably get your upgrade. It's not immoral to take advantage of a good deal that comes your way. What if you see an eBay auction where someone is selling something for quite a bit less than they normally go for? Assuming it's legitimate, do you send them a message saying they're not charging enough? Do you ever go to a garage sale and haggle the price of something UP because it's worth a lot to you? No.

I don't think anyone "deserves" the Panther upgrade CD more than anyone else, but it's better to pay for Panther than to download it on Bit Torrent or something.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 03:13 PM

IDaver, you don�t know what they will do until you try. I think it�s a valid argument if you bought a PowerBook between Parris expo to the present time. Otherwise I agree with you.

Luca Rescigno
A glitch on Apple's web site is different from a ebay auction. Do I really need to explain why?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 03:17 PM

If you got the flipping machine in the date stated on the description page then your fine. If you bought it before the given date and are putting in your serial and it goes through this is wrong. You know it; I know it so shut your yap.
I disagree. That page has been up for two days now, if it really was a glitch, Apple would have fixed it by now, and probably sent an email to the people who took advantage of the glitch saying sorry, but there was an error in our website and our terms of use state that we're not responsible for typos, etc. on our website.

I think the stated dates for the Up To Date program are merely to prevent people from even trying. Probably at least half the people who could get the $20 upgrade but didn't order their computer on the 8th or later never even tried to enter their serial number.

You can't get mad at someone for using Apple's website the way they put it up. If they want to fix it, that's their responsibility. Because they haven't "fixed" it, I have to assume that this is just how their up to date program works.

EDIT: Besides, how do you know it's a glitch? Where's your proof? Don't just say it doesn't fit with their stated policy. And if it hasn't been fixed yet, it obviously hasn't been documented yet... and if it hasn't been documented yet, then there is no proof you can present. It's just speculation on your part. You must not really know what Apple's true policy is (unless you're an Apple employee, in which case you would report the glitch and it would be fixed now).

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 03:22 PM

Luca Rescigno
Yes good point but

Your still taking advantage of it. Maybe Apple trusts people will be honest. At this point a lot of people have done this. So Apple might just not care anymore.

Why would they prevent people from trying. They don't want them to get it for that price. The system has a bug so...???? Better explanation please?

edit
Yeah, exactly

If they change the dates on the description page then good. Still the description page states the dates. Its as simple as that. What other proof do you need. So how do you know if its right or not. Only the company does so maybe we should phone them for it. Like I have been saying in each post. The way you did it I consider fine.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 03:36 PM

Luca Rescigno
Yes good point but

Your still taking advantage of it. Maybe Apple trusts people will be honest. At this point a lot of people have done this. So Apple might just not care anymore.
Apple does put a lot of trust into their customers, but they're still human. We all like to get the same thing for less money, so who's going to pass it up? Apple has cut people off in the past (iTools, etc), so if it was really a big problem they could just fix the glitch and start denying future requests. Yeah it would make some people mad, but they can obviously never make everyone happy, judging by the amount of whining that goes on here.

Why would they prevent people from trying. They don't want them to get it for that price. The system has a bug so...???? Better explanation please?
Obviously, if they didn't want people to get Panther for that price, they wouldn't let them. As it is, I think Apple wants to build good will and show people that they're not all about the money. Charging for iTools got a lot of people pissed off. So did the Jaguar upgrade (which was rigid and unwavering). Maybe they want to show that they can flex a bit, accommodate people's individual needs based on their situation. Or maybe everyone in the company interprets the situation differently, which is why some people are qualifying and others aren't.

edit
Yeah, exactly

If they change the dates on the description page then good. Still the description page states the dates. Its as simple as that. What other proof do you need. So how do you know if its right or not. Only the company does so maybe we should phone them for it. Like I have been saying in each post. The way you did it I consider fine.
Whether you phone in or try the serial number thing, you still end up getting or not getting Panther. A lot of "policies" aren't completely rigid. I just don't see why you consider using the online system to be wrong. I think you'd need to explain that. Yeah, the description for the up-to-date program pretty clearly says who qualifies and who doesn't. But the system seems to be qualifying lots of people. And if they didn't want it to be that way, they would change it. They would have changed it quite a while ago in fact.

I wonder if anyone who bought a computer quite a while ago could test the up to date system? Perhaps someone who bought one in, say, July or August? The earliest order date I've heard for someone qualifying was September 11th, and mine was September 15th. If you can still qualify with a machine ordered a few months ago, then I'll be sure it's a glitch.

Even if it is a glitch, you might report it to Apple but I don't think it's your place to be going on a little crusade to prevent people from using it. If you bring it to Apple's attention, they will choose to fix it or not. But I'm sure they've known for a while now.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 03:49 PM

What if there was no iTools though then there would be nothing to complain about. .Mac would of came out with a price. Apple could take that free service away whenever they want. You know they can charge for Sherlock too right, or take it away. I actually agree with your solid points though. Good points. However, I don't agree with the iTools philosophy you have.
What I do think would be nice, and popular is if apple offered just a email portion of the .mac service, or if you add options to your .mac to a cart. You know a shopping cart. This gives the user what they want then.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Oct 10, 2003 at 03:56 PM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 03:55 PM

The only analogy I'm making to iTools is that there was quite a bit of ill will going around after iTools turned into .Mac. People weren't happy. Being generous with the up-to-date policy is one way to gain back some good will among the user/fan base.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 03:58 PM

Free services don't stay free. We were lucky to get iTools for 2 years. So I say tough to the users that are pissed off thats life. We were lucky to have it for free as long as we did. If you don't feel lucky; well then there is something wrong with you. It was free for two years!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Whether you phone in or try the serial number thing, you still end up getting or not getting Panther. A lot of "policies" aren't completely rigid. I just don't see why you consider using the online system to be wrong.
Good point. I'm having a hard time understanding why LfGrdMike considers it acceptable to call and ask for what it clearly says on the website you can't have. And then, he says it's dishonest to request the same via the website.

It's clear that some of the people who call and ask are getting the upgrade and some aren't. It seems there is a glitch there too.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 04:32 PM

Free services don't stay free. We were lucky to get iTools for 2 years. So I say tough to the users that are pissed off thats life. We were lucky to have it for free as long as we did. If you don't feel lucky; well then there is something wrong with you. It was free for two years!
I do agree with that sentiment. We can't expect everything that is free now to stay free. But that's not important to our discussion - we all had our time to argue about iTools vs. .Mac a long time ago.

If you don't like the idea of people being pissed at .mac, I'll use something else... the fact that OS X was originally promised to work on any PowerPC Mac, and when it was finally released it only ran on G3s (and earlier PPCs but with very limited support). I'm sure there were a few people who were confident that Apple would continue to support their pre-G3 machines. I'm sure they were at least somewhat unhappy when they learned that their machines were no longer supported.

The point is that Apple knows it can pull the rug out from under people. A lot of people have felt that way with a number of things. They want to change their image so they don't have this bad reputation. Part of changing that image is being flexible with the latest Up To Date program so people know that Apple's being nice to them. Even if they're just in it for the money, part of making money is keeping a loyal user base, and Apple's user base is as loyal as it gets. This is a way of reinforcing that loyalty rather than straining it.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

Shut up all of you.

Lock this damn thread please, oh moderator.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 05:51 PM

:LGkj !!! jfk;b bkj;kl je bumple jal ; bjkop ; creote lamam an a bl;bb; goob sjl ; try 45 lb indy fjf; g; // jf lkj;b ... Ye!

nuraoar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 06:15 PM

Hey how do you know that Apple is not being dishonest here.

Let's look at the facts. People are getting discounts by calling or using their serial numbers even though they don't meet the website stated criteria.

Apple is aware of this and has yet to change the criteria on the website or fix thier so called "bug/glitch". So Apple is in essence cheating people who would other wise have been able to obtain a discount on panther by putting up a false criteria on thier website.

So people see october 8th and don't call or use thier serial no. who other wise would have qualified will have to pay full price.

I think this is Apple's fault not the users who are getting the discounted price.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 06:36 PM

This thread has moxie! It has kinetic! It's the next big thing!

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 08:17 PM

People who are not eligible for the Panther upgrade and who have had there Serial Numbers go through are being dishonest.
Two days ago my SN didn't work, but today it did. If Apple didn't want me to get this, why did they fix it so I could qualify?

jgcan
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 01:10 PM

I am about to switch but if LfGrdMike is representative of how Mac users are thinking, then I wonder. Is Apple a religion? It seems to me they are doing fine and that what they want is just your money, nothing else (and they get it by charging more than 500$CAN for a 3 years PB warranty that is standard with most other PC companies). People are buying from them because they like what they make. No need to be a zealot to keep Apple alive, they can do it themselves. I will switch anyway but will always try to save as much money I can so I don't feel I should have bought a Centrino system.

gomariners
Oct 11, 2003, 02:47 PM

The stated policy is:

"Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 8, 2003 that does not have Mac OS X Panther v10.3 included can upgrade to Mac OS X Panther."

It says _nothing_ about people who purchased before. There is a legal principle which is in latin and I don't remember the latin name (I'm not a lawyer, I just like to ask my lawyer friends questions) which is that anything which is not explicitly prohibited is legal. I know the difference between laws and morals, but still, the basic principle. Apple is telling us that this group is included, they say nothing about what group is excluded.

I mean, I go to the website and enter in Oct 1, 2003 for the purchase date. I am _certain_ they wouldn't be so dumb as to be incapable of excluding people who are completely honest.

So to the starter of this thread - we're not being immoral by any means. Only if Apple told us we are not allowed and went ahead would it be immoral and no one's told me anything except their web form which said Congratulations! You get Panther.

Likewise, Apple is not obligated to tell us all the criteria to determine if we are eligible, but should tell us that we are eligible if we ask, which they do.

This means I'm happy with everyone and can eat a donut.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 03:08 PM

f u c k 'em. What about the folks that bought a rev a 17" for full price a week before they announced rev b? what was that, $500 or so? And now the next release of the OS is about a hundred or so? I can understand, but not endorse, why people steal software from Apple.

I suppose it if were as easy to steal hardware, folks would be doing it left and right.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 04:57 PM

Everyone in here who bought a new Mac recently knew Panther was coming yet they bought their computers before Apple realeased it. If it came out in December would you still think you're owed special treatment?
I think that there's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding here. Apple doesn't owe us anything beyond what we paid for - what is covered under warrantee. We have choice. We can choose to wait and choose alternatives, yet we choose Apple and we choose to get Apple as soon as possible
Just because we want something - because we see something flashy that catches our eye - or we need something, doesn't mean that we should get it for free.
Apple has continually produced great products and as a business they should charge all those who can and will pay for it.
If you want it so badly then obviously Apple's doing their job.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 06:54 PM

Danbrew and brapper:

Both of you imply that someone who is getting Panther for $20 isn't actually paying for it. That's an outright lie.

You're not "pirating" it if you pay $20 for it. Apple's outright selling it to some people for $20! How is that piracy? How is that getting it for free?

I don't think anyone who bought their computers before Oct. 8th deserves a $20 upgrade, but if Apple is willing to give it to them for $20, there's nothing wrong.

jgcan: Some people just get really into Apple and they feel it's their solemn duty to protect it and defend it (they may actually refer to the company as "her"). A while ago, there was a person hired by Apple as the "Chief Apple Evangelist." Really! His name is Guy Kawasaki. I don't think they have an Evangelist position anymore, but it's still funny. People like Apple but don't worry about their evangelism getting in your way. It's easy to ignore. Most Mac users just like their machines but they aren't all into this religious fervor about them.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 06:57 PM

Danbrew and brapper:

Both of you imply that someone who is getting Panther for $20 isn't actually paying for it. That's an outright lie.

You're not "pirating" it if you pay $20 for it. Apple's outright selling it to some people for $20! How is that piracy? How is that getting it for free?

I don't think anyone who bought their computers before Oct. 8th deserves a $20 upgrade, but if Apple is willing to give it to them for $20, there's nothing wrong.

jgcan: Some people just get really into Apple and they feel it's their solemn duty to protect it and defend it (they may actually refer to the company as "her"). A while ago, there was a person hired by Apple as the "Chief Apple Evangelist." Really! His name is Guy Kawasaki. I don't think they have an Evangelist position anymore, but it's still funny. People like Apple but don't worry about their evangelism getting in your way. It's easy to ignore. Most Mac users just like their machines but they aren't all into this religious fervor about them.
Thanks, can't wait to get my PB.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 07:08 PM

I have no issue with someone paying $20 for Panther. I think it's a great deal and everyone that is eligable should take advantage of it. My issue is with the people who believe they're being ripped off at any price. They need to realize that they paid for an operating system when they purchased their computer and if they think that they should get another for free, they're mistaken. Just because Apple doesn't have to tear down and rebuild their operating system every couple years, doesn't mean that what they offer in updates isn't substantial. We're getting a whole new level of functionality, and that IMHO is worth paying for.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 07:42 PM

People like Apple but don't worry about their evangelism getting in your way. It's easy to ignore. Most Mac users just like their machines but they aren't all into this religious fervor about them.
Well said

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 11:04 PM

Hmmm looks like a lot of soap boxes being stood on and high horses being sat upon.

This situation reminds me of something I learned as a small child...

Mind your own business. People lie, cheat, and steal everyday and it's not your privledge or obligation to act as judge, jury and executioner. It's not your place to determine right or wrong for someone else, you reserve the right to do this for yourself only.

That being said, I find nothing wrong with getting Panther if you purchased prior to the 8th and this is why. First, most companies allow allow some kind of compensation for product and promotional savings within 30 days of the purchase either through free qualification or a refunded portion of money.
Secondly, people could return their Apple product and buy a new one just to get 10.3 but that would only hurt and cost Apple more in the long run.

Here's a final thought, does anyone know for sure Apple didn't do this intentionally for legal purposes? There are certain commerce laws that keep you from doing stuff like this where you don't offer some sort of back compensation for recent purchasees. If they are required to offer it legally, that doesn't mean they have to go all out to annouce it to everyone that would qualify if they could get them to pay the full $120. However, they would have to offer it in some capacity and that could be where the supposed "glitch" in the website comes in.

- Just as with religion, no one has the right to impose their own set of morals/ethics on others. -
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2003, 11:30 AM

Go thread! Go!

baseten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 12:49 PM

I just dropped 2 thousand bucks on a computer September 17th. I entered my serial number and became a member of the 20 bucks club.

Strangely enough, I slept quite soundly last night.

If that makes me a lesser being than the pious hairshirted and handwringing bunch with an extra hundred bucks to throw away, I'm quite ecstatic to play the role of the heathen with no conscience.

love be with your day,
-b

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 01:34 PM

"....you can't please all the people all the time"

I still am upset that in 1978 Apple sent me a letter telling me that instead of sending me a free DOS Manual as soon as published, " they used the money to develop Apple Fortran to make the Apple II a more viable product". They offered to sell me a manual for $10.

I have the letter framed ...... but I tried to get over it.

Someday I will!

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
Go thread! Go!
This thread = Speed Racer (with a gavel).

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Ummm, no offence, but do they teach grammar, spelling, and correct sentence construction in Rochester schools?
What an idiot...is that the most constructive thing you can add to the thread? Life must be so boring for you sitting around spell checking forum boards.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by baseten:
I just dropped 2 thousand bucks on a computer September 17th. I entered my serial number and became a member of the 20 bucks club.

Strangely enough, I slept quite soundly last night.
Change "September 17" to "September 24" and "2 thousand" to "$2600 with the edu discount", and you have me.

I'm a college student. If I can get something cheap, I'll do it.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 05:19 AM

I ordered Panther for �149 from the Apple Store (Ireland). XE.com works that out as $173 which, you'll agree, is a tad more than $129.

So I can still only install it on 1 machine right.......?

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 10:44 AM

/\/\/\ Yes, or you will go to the LAND OF THE DISHONEST PEOPLE!

Forum Links
Forum Rules