Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Honda vs. Kawasaki (Motorcycles... Cruisers)

Honda vs. Kawasaki (Motorcycles... Cruisers)
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 04:09 AM

Despite the protests of my better half and also my mother, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a motorcycle. I had a crotch rocket (Suzuki Katana 750) back in college, but want a grownup bike this time. I've pretty much narrowed my choices to the following:

Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
This is my first choice, by far. It's the smartest-looking, most powerful bike that's in the neighborhood of affordability for me. I love the cast wheels and... Well, this is just the best-looking bike.

Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
I like this bike, but not as much as the 1600. It's obviously smaller. It's got a carb instead of being fuel-injected. It also has spoked wheels instead of the cast ones I like.

Honda VTX1300/VTX1800
These are Honda's answer to Kawasaki's Vulcans. Like the Kawasakis, the bigger one is obviously more expensive and ultimately better. With the smaller one, the 2005s are priced to move... And I can't really ignore that.

I am not looking for a flame-fest "get a real bike / get a Harley." The above bikes are pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm just torn on size. I'm a big guy, so I'm worried I'd look a little silly on the smaller bikes.

I definitely want a new bike, but wouldn't mind hearing arguments to the contrary. Especially as a sort-of new rider. I grew up on motorcycles, but haven't had one since 2000. It'd suck to get a new, $10,000 bike and drop it because I'm inexperienced.

Your thoughts are all welcome. Thank you in advance.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 04:13 AM

Was going to edit to add links, but the sites don't appear to wanna work that way. I'm guessing anyone reading this or who may care is savvy enough to find the bikes on the respective manufacturers' sites. Thanks again.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 04:16 AM

Because of Honda's track record on Cars, I would take there Bikes over any other just from reputation
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 05:29 AM

i like suzuki bikes.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 6, 2005, 06:48 AM

When I was a children, a friend took me for a drive on his motorcycle, it was a "junior" style cycle, a small version of a larger motorbike, I do not know what mark or brand, sorry revheads. Anyways, I had a good time, he was in front holding the handle bars and working the speed deal and the foot thing while I sat behind him clutching onto his shoulders ensuring my position on the bike (I would have possibly fallen off otheriwse). Please be careful while using motorcycles, they are dangerous if one is not paying attention and may lead to an accident.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Despite the protests of my better half and also my mother, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a motorcycle. I had a crotch rocket (Suzuki Katana 750) back in college, but want a grownup bike this time. I've pretty much narrowed my choices to the following:

This is my first choice, by far. It's the smartest-looking, most powerful bike that's in the neighborhood of affordability for me. I love the cast wheels and... Well, this is just the best-looking bike.

I like this bike, but not as much as the 1600. It's obviously smaller. It's got a carb instead of being fuel-injected. It also has spoked wheels instead of the cast ones I like.

Honda VTX1300/VTX1800
These are Honda's answer to Kawasaki's Vulcans. Like the Kawasakis, the bigger one is obviously more expensive and ultimately better. With the smaller one, the 2005s are priced to move... And I can't really ignore that.

I am not looking for a flame-fest "get a real bike / get a Harley." The above bikes are pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm just torn on size. I'm a big guy, so I'm worried I'd look a little silly on the smaller bikes.

I definitely want a new bike, but wouldn't mind hearing arguments to the contrary. Especially as a sort-of new rider. I grew up on motorcycles, but haven't had one since 2000. It'd suck to get a new, $10,000 bike and drop it because I'm inexperienced.

REVIEW
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Kaw16/

I've never tried a V-twin. Test drive em and see which feels best.
( Last edited by mojo2; Oct 6, 2005 at 09:18 AM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 6, 2005, 09:12 AM

I wouldn't wish a harley on my worst enemy. Talk about awful bikes. Blech.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 10:48 AM

This is my first bike...and love it!! While my friends Harleys and Big Dogs (worst bike ever!!) are always breaking down they give me the evil eye when I have to use my Honda to pick up parts for their pigs...lol buy the Metric cruisers on looks...they will all be dependable.

http://steveranieri.net/bike/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2005, 05:34 PM

a couple things... first off i would DEFINITELY not get a brand-new one. there are some incredible deals to be had on (barely) used Hondas. Mine is a '98 that I bought with only 3500 miles on the clock.

also, i would look at smaller engines for a few reasons. in the first place like you said its not that hard to drop one unintentionally, experienced or not. Thats magnified when its a REALLY heavy one like the above. Mines 666 pounds dry and it defintiely took a lotta getting used to. thats th eother nicety about buying used, I'll be able to sell mine for as much as what I paid for it almost certainly, so if you DO end up wanting to tradeup its really painless versus buying a new one.

Depending on the look youre after the Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter is a great bike and not one you'll see on every corner. The long, low stance and swept fenders have a definite Indian look and it comes in a 1200 that'll have no problem keeping up with other bikes.

I'm really not a fan of the VTX's for a few reasons. Aside from that just being too big in size and weight they also tend to run much hotter than others in the line, something you'll really take notice of on longer rides. Also check into the price of whatever accessories, pipe upgrades, etc, youre gonna want to buy before you decide on a model. Really tho, the best advice is to go ride as many of em as you can and pick based on that. They're all very reliable, tho the Hondas tend to be more so, so a lot comes down to pricing and personal preference.

Like i alluded to before, i ended up choosing a Honda, the Shadow Aero 1100, which is their retro cruiser. I know people in my Aero club how have 20 and 30,000 miles on theirs who buy and sell them for the same price as I paid for my 98 with 3500 miles, so if i should want to sell it I spose I can without takin a huge hiit, however I plan on keepin it around...its always funny when people ask me how much I paid for my Harley, and the Harley guys like it too.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 05:44 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 08:41 PM

Honda VTX1300/VTX1800

My thoughts:
1) The VTX 1300 is a better bike than the VTX 1800 in all ways except looks. It is much easier to ride than the 1800 due to weight. The added power of the 1800 is nice, but it comes at the expense of handling. The exposed tank seam on the 1300 is tacky, but it is otherwise a nice looking ride.

2) If I were to get a cruiser, and it wasn't a Honda Rune (very spendy), or a Triumph Rocket III (spendy), I would probably get a used Honda Valkyrie or a new Yamaha Warrior. The Valk is nice, because it has huge gobs of torque and doesn't look like it is trying to be a Harley. The Warrior is nice because it has some very nice high end sport bike components on it (like killer brakes) and it is not trying to look like a Harley. If I had to choose between those two, I'd probably go with the Yamaha Warrior.

3) I'm a horrible judge of cruisers, as I've always ridden sportbikes!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 01:59 AM

Hey all. Thanks for your insight and opinions. Rev-O, I did check out a couple of Yamahas today. I've pretty-much decided to get a midsize bike .. in that 1100-1500 range. For affordability's sake, it just makes sense.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Honda VTX1300R. I had fun today throwin' my leg over the Honda and the Yamahas. The Yamaha was the most comfortable, but from everything I've read, it just doesn't stack up to the Honda (or the Kawasaki) performance and technology-wise. Plus the sales kid at USA Motorsports was wicked sleazy. I hate that whole "let me introduce you to my boss" car salesman schtick. "What do I have to do to get you to ride away on this today?" Dude, how about get out of my face for a few minutes. That'd be a start!

I'm gonna look at the Vulcan again .. then get serious about getting this done. The resistance is digging in, with my Mom telling me I'd be breaking her heart if I got a bike. I know she is just worried for me, but hell, I'll be 36 next month. Sometimes you just gotta live a little!

laieboy
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 04:01 AM

Just picked up a 2004 Honda VTX 1300C a couple of months ago. I was looking around also and ended up with the VTX and couldn't be happier with my decision.
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 07:54 AM

My uncle used to have a Suzuki Intruder 1600, which was his first bike. So he learned to ride on it. He says they are really good, good engine blocks and all. They have smaller models as well, they're very popular here, and you can get some really good deals. Maybe there as well?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 01:28 PM

While I'm definitely sold on Hondas, if you end up with the VTX, aside from the heat issue, they're pretty top-heavy so be careful in the turns, especially if you're a newer rider. Also, while I'm really not a fan of the 1800s the 1300s are selling SO fast that you can get an 1800 for the same price since they've been having a really hard time moving them.

The downside to that is that they're everywhere. One reason I elected to get mine is that you see very few.

I'd definitely go with a private seller if you can find a nice model. Aside from the obvious cost savings it alsos pretty easy to size up the type of life the bike has had by looking at the owner; you dont see too many laid-back 40somethings tryin wheelies and dropping their bikes...from the dealer you never know WHO had it before you. I got my '98 from its second owner, looking at the title he'd put less than 500 miles on it in the more than a year that he'd owned it....hardly a weeks use!

The only Vulcan thats really worthwhile is the Drifter, if you can manage to find one. The good thing about them is they're really the type that collectors buy so the miles tend to be lower.

As for your Mom, just dont tell her. Thats what I did. Works great!

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 01:43 PM

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 02:47 PM

How about something a little less restrained

You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jellytussle
How about something a little less restrained

Ah, a Rocket III. Nifty.

Back to the VTZX debate: the 1300 is a very nice bike. As I said before, easier to ride than the VTX 1800. You cannot beat Honda's build quality and fit and finish, it is absolutely top notch!

[soapbox] Make sure you buy good gear for riding. A good rule of thumb is leave the skin exposed that you wish to replace! helmets, gloves, boots, jacket, & pants are very important, and not always affordable. Plus good gear keeps the better half and maternal unit happy. They may not like you on a bike, but they'll complain less if you are wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. [/soapbox]

The last Honda dealership I bought from gave a steep discount on all gear purchased along with the bike, and even if they aren't up front about it, they may be inclined to go along with it to seal the deal. Other handy thing with this is, if you plan on financing your bike, they may roll the gear into the loan. Not the best idea from a money standpoint, but it can allow you to get some good gear for a few bucks a month!

Good luck. Rubber side down!

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 02:57 AM

Thanks again, Rev-O. Nothing new to report. I went back to the Kawasaki dealer today. I'm now firmly back on the Vulcan 1600 Classic kick. Damn, that's a beautiful machine. There will be extensive debate around the kitchen table in the coming weeks regarding family and finances. I'm unsure whether I'll pull the trigger on this, but I really want to.

BTW, that Rocket is nice, but I prefer this:

The Honda Rune. How sick is that!?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 03:00 AM

Not nearly sick enough. I prefer...

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 03:06 AM

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 03:08 AM

That's. Just. Wrong.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks again, Rev-O. Nothing new to report. I went back to the Kawasaki dealer today. I'm now firmly back on the Vulcan 1600 Classic kick. Damn, that's a beautiful machine. There will be extensive debate around the kitchen table in the coming weeks regarding family and finances. I'm unsure whether I'll pull the trigger on this, but I really want to.

The Rune is an amazing bike. Pictures do not do it justice! Sitting on one is way cool. The fit and finish on it, the quality of paint, the attention to detail... droolworthy. If Batman rode a motorcycle, this would be it!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 01:18 PM

[img] http://www.amadirectlink.com/feature...Honda_Rune.jpg [/img]

how do you drive one of those? Looks like its 2.5 meters long at least, doesn't look comfy...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
The fit and finish on it, the quality of paint, the attention to detail...
You mean "honda" . They might make boring cars, but the quality is top notch. Toyota has reliable cars, but the paint and a few other things just aren't nearly as nice.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 02:34 AM

Got a call first thing Saturday morning. The co-owner of the Kawasaki Superstore here in Goodyear, AZ told me that it's a beautiful weekend and I should be riding. Cheesy, but it brought a smile to my face. He then explained that I'd like the results of my credit app, which I had put in the previous day during a quick visit to the shop before work.

Carrie (my wife) and I went in and I was told that I qualified for Kawasaki's best financing option and that I could ride away in about 30 minutes time if I was ready to act. Long story short, I ended up putting down a small deposit on the bike .. so that they won't sell it out from under me .. and I'm gonna take a couple more days just to be sure.

Carrie made me feel pretty good at the bike shop. To paraphrase, she said she doesn't quite get it, but understands that I'm a boy and boys like stuff like this. In other words .. I got her blessing. I'm going to Vegas for a couple of days starting first thing Sunday. When I get back next week, I think I'm gonna do it.

I'm going with the Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, BTW. The dealer said they'd even spring for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (www.msf-usa.org) RiderCourse for me. I was definitely gonna sign up anyway, since I haven't ridden in awhile.

Life. Is. Good.

CMYKid .. I just noticed your Shadow Aero pix above. Sweet ride!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Yeah their awful rep of being sucky bikes...

Oh waittttt......

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Obviously, some one who's kept up with the latest in the motorcyle industry.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Obviously, some one who's kept up with the latest in the motorcyle industry.
From someone who does keep up with the motorcycle industry, Harleys are overpriced, underpowered, have mediocre brakes, and have crap handling. The build quality on them has improved dramatically, and the quality of their paint is unsurpassed, really. Harley had to go a long ways to rectify their issues that stemmed from the old AMF days, when they got their rightly deserved reputataion of building pure crap.
But, imho, a Harley makes to many concessions to 'coolness' to be a wonderful bike. The V-Rod line is a nice improvement, I'll give you that. Good power, decent brakes, etc. Still not my cup o' tea.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2005, 01:22 AM

Glad you liked the photos, I've been nothing but thrilled with the bike, only problem I've experienced was a connector under the seat that came loose, made me think my stator (alternator) was broken. Plugged it back in, all better.

That was kind of my point tho, I paid $5000 for the Aero, with 3000 miles on it, so I cant imagine spending twice that on a new one. If I ever hafta sell it I can likely sell it for the exact amount that I paid for it.

Anyway, if you do end up with the kawasaki you should cnose around a little as its somewhat widely recignized to need some work in the power and drivetrain arenas.

Theres a good overview here: http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/littlebigtwins/

Whatever ya do, be careful out there.

aquadogus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 11:50 AM

I live right by that store, and I almost bought a bike there. I was looking at the Mean Streak, but ended up going with a VTX 1800C. This was a couple months ago, and I love the bike.

Got a call first thing Saturday morning. The co-owner of the Kawasaki Superstore here in Goodyear, AZ told me that it's a beautiful weekend and I should be riding. Cheesy, but it brought a smile to my face. He then explained that I'd like the results of my credit app, which I had put in the previous day during a quick visit to the shop before work.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
When I was a children
Did you eventually merge with someone and become a single child?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules