Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Flir One thermal imaging iPhone case preorders commence July 23

Flir One thermal imaging iPhone case preorders commence July 23
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 22, 2014, 04:10 PM

Thermal imaging company Flir will launch pre-orders for its infrared camera-containing case on July 23. Once mounted, the case for the iPhone 5 and 5s displays a live thermal image of the world right on the phone's screen, giving users the ability to "see" in an array of conditions, including complete darkness.

"Based on technology that was formerly reserved for the military, Flir One is the first in a new generation of affordable thermal imaging devices designed to inspire imaginative and innovative uses by consumers," Flir Chief Executive Andy Teich said in a release trumpeting the pre-sale process. "This represents a revolutionary step forward for both Flir Systems and thermal imaging."

The tool, similar to those used in the military, law enforcement and fire-and-rescue, has practical applications in home improvement, outdoor recreation, and other personal security issues. The Flir One case contains its own battery that can power the sensor for up to two hours, or can boost the iPhone's battery life by up to 50 percent.

The iPhone version of the technology will be available for under $350 in grey, white, or gold with preorders starting on July 23. The Apple Store will see the case in August.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 24, 2014 at 02:52 AM. )

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2014, 07:12 PM

I seriously want one of these, but they managed to delay production on the thing to the point that it's not going to ship until around the time I'm buying an iPhone 6.

If you're going to make a fancy, VERY expensive thermal camera case for iPhones that is only compatible with a specific model form factor, the least you could do is not ship the thing two weeks before that model gets obsoleted.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2014, 07:55 PM

@Makosuke I had the same reaction when I read this article. However, I would hope that they will go ahead and make cases for both iPhone 6 sizes when they come out. They may already have a case for what will probably be Apple's low cost version the iPhone 5, but what would happen to them if Apple makes the 5c the low end iPhone?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2014, 09:32 PM

iPhone6 5.5" version, please!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2014, 05:33 AM

I got a chance to play with one of these at Macworld Expo back in the spring, and I confess its quite impressive. For people who need this technology, it seems bargain-priced to me. For the rest of us, it might seem like a pricey toy.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jdonahoe View Post
@Makosuke I had the same reaction when I read this article. However, I would hope that they will go ahead and make cases for both iPhone 6 sizes when they come out. They may already have a case for what will probably be Apple's low cost version the iPhone 5, but what would happen to them if Apple makes the 5c the low end iPhone?
Why would Apple resurrect the iPhone 5 if the 5c is already better-specced and selling well?

Forum Links
Forum Rules