Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 impressions with no problems thread.

G5 impressions with no problems thread.
SF_VR6
Oct 10, 2003, 12:49 PM

Dual with 1.5GB RAM from Crucial.

I've had my stock Dualie for two days now and here are my thoughts:

Mine seems to be running fine. Nice and quiet. The loudest sounds I hear is the HD clicking around when accessing data and opening files.

I have no fan spinning issues. It is quiet to me even when I do hardcore photoshop renders. Even when it does spin up its a gradual humm-whizzz sound, not too distracting.

I have installed every friggin app and upgrades I needed to get to work.

All my web dev and design apps function properly. My machine has "settled in" into its role as my tool rather than toy now.

I will be adding another 1GB RAM soon to streamline the performance a little more.

- Duc
( Last edited by SF_VR6; Oct 15, 2003 at 05:01 AM. )

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 02:35 PM

Your video card is???

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by nod:
Your video card is???
everything stock (9600pro) except for Crucial RAM.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 03:19 PM

Your lucky.

I got mine 2 days ago and it is going into the shop tomorrow. many many things wrong with it. Audio ports are messed up... fans are extremely loud. Top fan works much harder than the bottom fan. And my Radeon 9800 has issues with flickers of static every once in a while.

Apple does it again
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Your lucky.

I got mine 2 days ago and it is going into the shop tomorrow. many many things wrong with it. Audio ports are messed up... fans are extremely loud. Top fan works much harder than the bottom fan. And my Radeon 9800 has issues with flickers of static every once in a while.

Apple does it again
I have a personal theory on these issues people are having.

Maybe the CTO G5s are more quirky due to possible human errors during the custom assembly process.

Maybe due to the pressure on Apple to release the machines, workers are more sloppy at adding RAM, Video Cards and HDs resulting in poorly put together CTO machines.

While stock machine have the advantage of careful consumer hands when adding memory. Stock machines are handled more carefully due to the vested (2k-3k$) interest of the buyer.

I think a poll is in order.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:39 PM

Today will be 3 weeks since my very early CTO dual G5/9800/BT arrived and it has been running nearly flawlessly. No KP's and no freezes, it runs 24/7 and I have only done a few restarts for updates and such. I added a 250GB WD SATA, 1GB crucial RAM + 1GB PNY PC3500 CAS 2.5(running faster RAM than OEM makes almost no difference - even when it is the only RAM in the machine) for a total of 2.5GB. I was gonna return the PNY RAM but it wasn't all that much more expensive than the Crucial and it seems to run w/o any problems so I figured just leave it in (plus it has really ugly purple metalic heat spreaders that contrast with the internal beauty of the G5 for effect so I kinda grew fond of them)

-Jerry C.

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I added a 250GB WD SATA

-Jerry C.
Jerry, where did you get your HD? I'd like to add an additional 160GB drive to my baby.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by SF_VR6:
Jerry, where did you get your HD? I'd like to add an additional 160GB drive to my baby.
NewEgg.com is my personal favorite. I paid $299 for my 250 and it's now down to $283. Good prices, excellent rep and free shipping for most things I think. Here is a link for all their SATA 160 GBers:

http://www.newegg.com/

-Jerry C.

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
NewEgg.com is my personal favorite. I paid $299 for my 250 and it's now down to $283. Good prices, excellent rep and free shipping for most things I think. Here is a link for all their SATA 160 GBers:

http://www.newegg.com/

-Jerry C.
oh hey thanks!!

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 04:52 PM

It's all good with my Dual G5.

And yes, Newegg is a great place to shop.

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 05:23 PM

I have dual G5 with 1.5 Gb crucial ram, 250 HD and Radeon 9800 (OEM). I have an ever so slight oscillating buzzing noise at times. Otherwise it's been outstanding. No KP's and no freezes and I've been running it pretty hard with some scientific software that keeps both cpu's pegged for hours at a time.

phantomac
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 05:57 PM

Got a stock Dual G5 with 1GB extra RAM from crucial. No problems here. :-)

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by HodyOne:
I have dual G5 with 1.5 Gb crucial ram, 250 HD and Radeon 9800 (OEM). I have an ever so slight oscillating buzzing noise at times. Otherwise it's been outstanding. No KP's and no freezes and I've been running it pretty hard with some scientific software that keeps both cpu's pegged for hours at a time.
have u tried the chud upgrade?

ourisman
Oct 10, 2003, 07:06 PM

I likewise have a stock dualie, and all is well.

I added 1 GB of crucial RAM, and it seems to make a significant difference in peformance. I did experience some "spinning beach ball" periods with only 512 MB with multiple applications up and running, but now everything is fast.

SF_VR6  (op)
Oct 10, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by ourisman:
I likewise have a stock dualie, and all is well.

I added 1 GB of crucial RAM, and it seems to make a significant difference in peformance. I did experience some "spinning beach ball" periods with only 512 MB with multiple applications up and running, but now everything is fast.
hehe you live in the same town I do. Bezerkeley that is.

smogscythe
Oct 10, 2003, 08:16 PM

i also have a stock dualie, no problems ate all

jango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 12:47 PM

I have 2 gigs of crucial ram and my machine has been flawless since opening it. Not one freeze up or restart.

triplezoom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 12:51 PM

I have a CTO 1.6 that I got on Wednesday and I haven't had any problems with it at all, besides Fire crashing a couple times and me screwing up the httpd.conf file. I'm very impressed with this machine, I love it!

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 10:05 PM

Stock DP, extra 1G of RAM from Ramjet, no problems at all. I do notice the occasional quiet buzzing noise.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 11:02 PM

Stock 1.8 GHz with 4 GB of Centon RAM...no problems here. I am looking at upgrading my video card and possibly adding another HD.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

k2director
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 11:57 PM

Dual with 2/250 GB hard drives, BT, ATI 9800 and 2.5 gigs from Crucial. All seems ship-shape.

However, this is my second dual. Apple sent me two by accident (long story, they didn't get my cancellation of the first order in time). I opened the first one, and discovered: 1) the CD door wouldn't open, and 2) the fans seemed inordinately loud for a machine that was supposed to be so quiet.

So I opened the second box I had sitting there, and that machine was great. Sent the first one back.

Eugene Fields
Oct 14, 2003, 06:03 PM

Ive been waiting my whole Apple life for this machine Im in Heaven No ISSUES whatsoever!

2.5gigs memeory and 9800 all work GREAT! CTO
( Last edited by Eugene Fields; Oct 15, 2003 at 04:57 PM. )
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

Jermsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 07:54 PM

Dual everything standard but 9800, no problems whatsoever.

The Mick
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 12:44 AM

Stock 1.6 with 768MB of RAM. Absolutely no problems after 5 weeks of ownership.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

MM-o4
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 AM

Got a 2ghz G5 at work and I was lucky enuff to be able to park my ass infront of
Have had it for about a week now and it's really sweet. I was working on a Mirror Dual 1ghz before. I do notice a snapier experience between apps. I'mma designer so the usual bunch of apps running.
The big difference I noticed was in After Effects 5.5. I render a video on the G4 Dual 1ghz which took 27min to render, but the G5 D2ghz to 9min!!! to complete the same on. Weerrrrrrd

Photoshop is a pixel beast now to.

No other probs, a little wherrr when things get heavy but it is a ish load quieter then any PC I've used.

MM-o4

samslaves
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 05:07 AM

Ok. At crucial web site a search for Apple G5 RAM results in:

512MB DDR PC3200

� CL=3 � Non-parity �

CT322476

(paired)

Is it right? Are these the modules I've to buy with no problems to match the CL a PARITY I will found in my 1GB dual when it arrives?

Very well done site. They sell in Europe also.

Thanks
Sam

phantomac
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 05:46 AM

Those are the right ones. I got them from Crucial Europe, too. They arrived about 24hrs after ordering. :-)

DeltaOP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 08:38 AM

Stock dualie with an extra 1 GB ram from Ramjet.

Machine has been working great for 2 weeks now.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2003, 03:20 PM

Stock dual with an extra 1.0GB from Crucial (1.5GB total) and an Adaptec 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card (hate the mess hubs create). 22" Cinema Display (ADC) and 17" Studio Display (via DVI-ADC adapter).

3 weeks old and all working just peachy!

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 07:04 PM

CTO 1.8 GHz G5 w/ Radeon 9600 Pro, + 512 MB Crucial RAM.

No problems at all, my first mac and I LOVE IT!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules