Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do you plan on buying a mac pro?

View Poll Results: When, will you be buying a mac pro!?!?!111
Poll Options:
Just ordered it. 20 votes (16.95%)
Before Christmas. 37 votes (31.36%)
Still thinking about it. 54 votes (45.76%)
Mactels?! Ha! I will use one of them when normal things don't happen very often!! 11 votes (9.32%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll
Do you plan on buying a mac pro?
the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 11:06 PM

Intrigue me with your answers..muahahah.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 11:12 PM

yeah, will probably be buying one within the next week or two to replace my rev. B iMac G5. already got a 24" LCD for it.

"I start fires!"

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 11:13 PM

Yeah, I forgot to add a simple no.. So just type it here.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 11:32 PM

I wish.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2006, 11:35 PM

I might buy one if I can sell my car before the WWDC RDF wares off.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 12:23 AM

Can't believe I was the first to hit "just ordered it." Unfortunately, I won't be the first to get it since it's 3-5 weeks with theX1900 XT.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 12:55 AM

My dual G5 will last me another year easy. I'd rather not get Rev A hardware again and I am going to wait till they have new Monitors.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 01:36 AM

I'll buy one, but likely will wait until after New Years (just bought a MacBook Pro, so computer dollars are a bit tapped out right now).

cyberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 02:10 AM

Not until they're offered with lower end cpus. I don't need quad processors for gaming, damnit!!! ):

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 03:31 AM

Too rich for my blood. Might get one used in five years, that is about it.

dilettante
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 03:05 PM

I'm thinking about it. I'll probably decide in a few weeks when more people have them, boot camp and parallels are updated to work with them, etc. For some reason looking at Macs warps my perception of money.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cyberman
Not until they're offered with lower end cpus. I don't need quad processors for gaming, damnit!!! ):
All mac pros will have 2 dual core chips. There are no 2 ways about it. I think they should offer the option of a single CPU but Mr. Jobs disagrees.

Anyways I will be ordering a mac pro in about a month.

gudrummer
Aug 9, 2006, 03:22 PM

You betcha....just waiting a couple of months to make sure what i'm gettin' into.I would hate to buy it and have little surprises like power supply that makes fine noises(like my old G5 did),or SATA ports out of spec.For now,my trusty Powerbook G4 will be more than enough.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 05:36 PM

I'll be getting a Mac Pro in a few years after my iMac G5 bites the dust.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 05:41 PM

Nope.

But rev 2 excites...

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 05:42 PM

I've been holding out for a long time. A really long time. My last computer purchase was 2000, a G4 400. I want one of these. If I can manage to save up the cash, then it will be mine... oh yes, it will be mine.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 06:04 PM

I wasn't planning on getting one. But now they're here and I'm extremely tempted.

I'm just trying to find at least one decent reason.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 06:31 PM

I just realized that I wouldn't really want to buy one now. I'm more interested in having one when 10.5 comes out. I know it's not really going to make that much of a difference, but I still want 10.5 on it. Frankly, I'd prefer to save myself the $120 (or $80 as I'm a student)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006, 06:44 PM

Nest summer baby! My dad's boss says that they can give me an internship so I can work here in t he IT office next summer. It's all PCs, but I'm lucky the Mac mini only weighs 2.9 lbs!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
My dual G5 will last me another year easy. I'd rather not get Rev A hardware again and I am going to wait till they have new Monitors.
They do have new displays: brighter, cheaper and with more contrast. But I agree that if one owns a G5 it is too soon to upgrade.

-Allen Wicks

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 01:48 PM

It costs too much. For that price, my G4 still has a lot of life in it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 01:53 PM

I was hoping for a price drop on the refurbed G5's, but that doesn't seem to have materialized. I do need to replace 2 machines at work as soon as we can afford to, but I think a couple dual-core 2.3 G5s will be plenty for me, seeing as how we'd be going from 1ghz & 1.25 ghz G4's.

I mainly need something I can get up to 3-4 gb of RAM more than anything else.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 03:31 PM

Nope. Just purchased a 20 inch iMac though. Thats powerful enough for me.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 04:20 PM

I'm not planing on upgrading yet - I think I can last another 6-12 months on my Power Mac G5. I plan on upgrading from my Power Mac G5 to a Mac Pro either next Jan/Feb or next year around this time. I'll have to see what they come out with in Jan/Feb, and then I'll decide whether to wait another 6 months or buy.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 04:35 PM

I'll try to get one at my research job, just because of the raw processing power. Ought to be nice crunching human chromosomal DNA in it. Definitely better than the mini 1.25GHz we're using. xD

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 08:59 PM

Waiting for new displays. I want to use Front Row, and I hear the new displays might include an iSight and an IR sensor...
Linkinus is king.

Jerk_circus
Aug 11, 2006, 12:22 AM

Nope. I'm really happy with my quad
Jerk_circus | Toronto Web Development

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 12:53 AM

I got one coming for my job:
Part Number: M9177X/A
Product Name: Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel) - AU
Unit Amount (ex GST): $920.00
Quantity: 1
Net Amount (ex GST): $920.00
When will my product be shipped?
Allow within 24 hours to ship

Part Number: M8850FE/B
Product Name: AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrolment Kit
Unit Amount (ex GST): $305.00
Net Amount (ex GST): $305.00
Allow within 24 hours to ship

Part Number: Z0D8
Product Name: Mac Pro
Options:
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC - 4x512
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA 3GB/s drive - 7200rpm
500GB Serial ATA 3GB/s drive - 7200rpm
2 x SuperDrive
Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0+ERD
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mighty Mouse
Mac OS X
Country Kit
Unit Amount (ex GST): $4,898.00
Net Amount (ex GST): $4,898.00
Allow 3-5 weeks to ship

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:23 PM

Well I got a quad G5 in November. I think I'll wait for the 2nd round of Mac Pros... an upgrade every 1.5 years is frequently enough

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I was hoping for a price drop on the refurbed G5's, but that doesn't seem to have materialized. I do need to replace 2 machines at work as soon as we can afford to, but I think a couple dual-core 2.3 G5s will be plenty for me, seeing as how we'd be going from 1ghz & 1.25 ghz G4's.

I mainly need something I can get up to 3-4 gb of RAM more than anything else.
The new mac Pros are a much better value than G5s. Last week I priced the budget cost of a new G5 workstation and it exceeded US$8,000. This week a more powerful more upgradable Mac Pro workstation priced out under US$7,000.

Don't even dream about buying a G5! New boxes are used for the next few years. Anyone suggesting purchasing new G5s is a good performance value for the next 3-5 years is not thinking very well about where apps and the OS are going. G5s are not cheap, and IMO the labor cost of changeover to a new workstation is very high, so we should minimize how often we change boxes.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by gnomexp
I'll try to get one at my research job, just because of the raw processing power. Ought to be nice crunching human chromosomal DNA in it. Definitely better than the mini 1.25GHz we're using. xD
Quad cores coming approx. 2007 Jan will be even better for crunching...

-Allen Wicks

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 06:32 PM

Not soon. I will probably get a MacBook this winter, but my G5 still has life left in it.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

I ordered mine the day after the announcement. I wanted a little bit of a cooling off period and plus I was debating if I wanted to get the (then unannounced) Nikon camera. Now that I see the specs of the D80, I'm happy I went with the Macpro.

Of course I now need to wait until late September thanks to that ATI card I had to include in the order. This is one pricey computer, it really stretched my budget, but I'm chomping at the bit
Michael

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 08:42 PM

I really wanted to buy one, but it wouldn't get here until, like, October, and that pissed me off enough to decide against it. (I'm not so much of an impulse buyer as an impulse rejector.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
but it wouldn't get here until, like, October, and that pissed me off enough to decide against it.
I hear ya and I almost did, but running aperture on a mini can be a little painful at times, so I have nothing to lose (except my money). While its on order I keep doing what I'm doing and september will get here in due time.
Michael

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2006, 09:21 PM

Yeah. I might still buy one some day. I had always planned to buy whatever replaced the G5, but the idea of being three grand short with nothing to show for it for almost two months makes me want to cry.

Then again, I've got a PowerBook rather than a Mini, so I'm probably a little more OK with my current system.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 09:24 PM

what confirmed any feelings of wanting a mac pro for me was trying Aperture on one. It is absolutely the best feeling ever to click on a photo in aperture and not have to wait 10 seconds for it to show up

(currently using Aperture on a 2GHz iMac G5... it's pathetic)

"I start fires!"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I really wanted to buy one, but it wouldn't get here until, like, October, and that pissed me off enough to decide against it. (I'm not so much of an impulse buyer as an impulse rejector.)
Same here. I spec'ed out a nice MP and that I'd wait for weeks to get a good GPU, and to get internal BT and AP I'd be waiting for weeks too, etc. I'd have to spec the MP down in order to get it quickly and that's just a shame.

On another note, at the price point they're selling these boxes, doesn't it seem kind of skimpy to make BT and AP a BTO option? Of course not many people need AP on a workstation, but you could also argue AP just belongs to the whole package like the modem used to and since you're paying roughly 2.5k you might as well get the whole deal. This is not some $799 Dell tower after all.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
The new mac Pros are a much better value than G5s. Last week I priced the budget cost of a new G5 workstation and it exceeded US$8,000. This week a more powerful more upgradable Mac Pro workstation priced out under US$7,000.

Don't even dream about buying a G5! New boxes are used for the next few years. Anyone suggesting purchasing new G5s is a good performance value for the next 3-5 years is not thinking very well about where apps and the OS are going. G5s are not cheap, and IMO the labor cost of changeover to a new workstation is very high, so we should minimize how often we change boxes.

-Allen Wicks

My staff designer does 90 % of her work in Freehand which will never be a universal app (she's grudgingly transitioning to Illustrator), and 5% in Photoshop. She's doing this on a 6.5 year-old Sawtooth G4, with a 1.25 CPU upgrade in it. I could pick up a Dual 1.8 G4 for less than $1000.00 on ebay or Craigslist that'd quadruple the available memory, and triple the speed, and I bet you a fiver I'd have that thing cloned and running in 1 hour flat from when I recieved it on my dock. It'd last a good 3 or 4 years, too.

I use Photoshop, Quark & Illustrator mostly, and like I said before, my main beef right now with my QS is paging out. I need RAM. a dual 2.0 could be had for 1100.00 or 1200.00. I don't need whiz-bang video cards, or 4 drive bays, and I could spend the savings throwing 3-4 gig of RAM in each one.

There's no reason why, with our current requirements that G5's wouldn't be able to happily live out their natural lives with us.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Marioz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2006, 04:35 PM

I decided to spend my ADC discount over a fantastic MacPro 3,0, X1900, 3 HD of 500Gb, double superdrive, BT&Airport. It will be shipped in 3-5 weeks. My G5 dual 2,0 is now 2 years old and it was on all the time compressing, rendering and so on. Never switched out. It can now go for a little lighter job as server for the office. As I do a lot of video I need a BootCamp working partition till AE will be ready for MacIntel machines. This is the only way for using AE at the moment :-(
Marioz
www.poc.it

Jupeman
Aug 12, 2006, 10:20 PM

I want 8 cores (e.g., 2 x 4)...
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jupeman
I want 8 cores (e.g., 2 x 4)...
Then you're waiting for Clovertown or better yet Tigerton. But that's all not gonna happen this year.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
(currently using Aperture on a 2GHz iMac G5... it's pathetic)
I'm using aperture in a 1.6GHz mini

All things being equal I was surprised at how responsive it is in some tasks, it can be down right painful in others. I tried some basic editing, or navigating around a largish project (severa; hundred images) and I get the spinning beach ball of death. I do not dare look at my whole library at once that will take apeture to its knees.
Michael

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
My staff designer does 90 % of her work in Freehand which will never be a universal app (she's grudgingly transitioning to Illustrator), and 5% in Photoshop. She's doing this on a 6.5 year-old Sawtooth G4, with a 1.25 CPU upgrade in it. I could pick up a Dual 1.8 G4 [Edit: I am guessing this is a typo that should be G5] for less than $1000.00 on ebay or Craigslist that'd quadruple the available memory, and triple the speed, and I bet you a fiver I'd have that thing cloned and running in 1 hour flat from when I recieved it on my dock. It'd last a good 3 or 4 years, too.

I use Photoshop, Quark & Illustrator mostly, and like I said before, my main beef right now with my QS is paging out. I need RAM. a dual 2.0 could be had for 1100.00 or 1200.00. I don't need whiz-bang video cards, or 4 drive bays, and I could spend the savings throwing 3-4 gig of RAM in each one.

There's no reason why, with our current requirements that G5's wouldn't be able to happily live out their natural lives with us.
(emphasis mine)

You are correct that if one chooses to maintain a status quo of running existing versions of Photoshop, Quark & Illustrator on existing OS 10.4.x one certainly can do that very well by purchasing used G5s and adding RAM. I think the $1100-1200 expectation is unrealistic, and RAM costs add to that, but who knows?

My point is that most graphics operations find it appropriate to upgrade to modern versions of Photoshop, Quark & Illustrator and/or they find a need for new apps like Aperture. E.g. many graphics departments were forced to upgrade to PSCS2 just for the RAW image handling capabilities.

IMO if a graphics department intends to take advantage of apps and/or OS changes over the next few years then investing in MacIntel is very life cycle cost effective as compared to investing in G5 hardware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules