Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anybody currently using NeoOffice

Anybody currently using NeoOffice
The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2006, 07:16 PM

I downloaded the Intel version of NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 last night and it seems to run pretty well on my Mac Pro. I'd like to hear from anybody currently using this software with any tips and tricks you might have discovered.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2006, 07:40 PM

I found the word processor to have a bit of a learning curve coming from Word, but once I got the idea it was fine. The native XML-based file format for NeoOffice makes the documents you create pretty small too.

No tricks to impart, I'm sorry to say-I had to get back to Word because all my professors provided stuff in Word's format and it was faster for me to just use it. I didn't have a chance to see if it was faster than PPC Word via Rosetta and if so how much, but it "seemed" faster.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 08:23 PM

If you want to integrate palettes (e.g. the style palette) into the main window and vice versa, command-double click the blank areas in the palette as indicated in the image below:

Note, the palette or window needs to have focus first.

Also, you are probably a lot better off visiting the forums at trinity if you want the best help in using the app.

The Ancient One  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post

...Also, you are probably a lot better off visiting the forums at trinity if you want the best help in using the app.
Thanks for the the trinity tip, I'd missed that. I still can't understand why NeoOffice isn't getting more press in the Mac community.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 02:44 AM

Waaah, boo hoo it's Java! Waahh, boo hoo it's ugly!

It's because lots of Mac users are more concerned with appearances than functionality.

Oh and also because NeoOffice is still pretty slow. No two ways about it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 02:50 AM

You like to pick fights, don't you?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

The Ancient One  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post

It's because lots of Mac users are more concerned with appearances than functionality.

NeoOffice's Intel-native word processing application on my Mac Pro didn't seem a whole lot slower than Word X under Rosetta. What machine did you try it on?

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post

NeoOffice has changed in recent builds. The Aqua interface is being implemented and there are fewer reasons for people who like their applications to have the same menus and dialogues as the rest not to try it.

As far as the speed is concerned I find it adequate. I mean have you tried Pages?

Forum Links
Forum Rules