Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Keep my Mac Pro? 8 core? HELP!

Keep my Mac Pro? 8 core? HELP!
Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 04:13 PM

Hi all. You can imagine the joy when I woke up Christmas morning to a 2.66 Mac Pro... My wife is amazing. Now that I've had a chance to calm down a bit, I'm freaking out JUST a little. It is my understanding that I have until Jan 8th to return this machine.... not that I want to but hear me out. Purchased on 12/22. Here's the policy from Apple's website and I'm assuming the same policy applies at the Apple store where it was purchased. Please correct me if I am mistaken:

"If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. For products purchased between October 31, 2006 - December 24, 2006, you may request an RMA by January 8, 2007."

OK, here's the problem: MWSF 2007 Keynote 1/9/2007

There IS the possibility that 8 core systems will be announced and prices may be similar to the current models. If there are no significant changes or if newer units are much more expensive, that wouldn't bother me, I don't really NEED 8 cores. If it's even close, I'm gettin' one

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience. Is it possible to swing a deal at the Apple store to buy an extra day?

I realize I'm going to get mixed opinions but I'm totally on the fence here. I suppose if it comes down to it I could take the hit on the restocking fee, wait a week and buy another. Man, getting a new Mac Pro is rough

Jeff

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 04:22 PM

Personally, I'd return, wait a for macWorld, and buy again.

Just me.
Linkinus is king.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2006, 08:21 PM

Keep it and enjoy it. You can always turn it into a 8-core Mac Pro after the warrantee runs out.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 08:34 PM

I have a hunch your new machine is a keeper. I expect the quad-core chips will be considerably more expensive at similar clock speeds. I have a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro and I certainly wouldn't want to replace it with a slower dual quad machine.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 08:36 PM

To the OP:

Your post translates roughly into:

"My wife just bought me the Empire State Building, but in a few weeks they're gonna have a way to build it 5 stories higher. Should I destroy mine, and buy a new one then?"

My answer: No. Your current computer is a god, an unstoppable force of pure genius and proccessing power. Just keep the damn thing and enjoy it.

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 09:02 PM

true true and true BUT I have heard that the Clovertown chips are competitive if not cheaper than the dual core when purchased in bulk so it is conceivable that Apple could release the all new Super Mac Pro and keep the price in line with the existing units similar to the move from G5 to x86. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the least bit ungrateful and I really don't want to return the machine but this is also a financial decision. If the octacore machines are released I'm sure there will be scores of unhappy customers who had no idea it was coming and would have waited IF they would have known.

Thanks all, it's still a tough one

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 09:13 PM

Chances are that you won't notice a difference in speed between the eight core and four core machines unless you are rendering complex 3d scenes or something similar. Developers are having a tough time as it is utilizing two CPU cores much less four. By the time eight cores gives a noticeable performance increase your warranty will be out and you can do the upgrade yourself, and the CPUs will be much, much cheaper.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Chances are that you won't notice a difference in speed between the eight core and four core machines unless you are rendering complex 3d scenes or something similar. Developers are having a tough time as it is utilizing two CPU cores much less four. By the time eight cores gives a noticeable performance increase your warranty will be out and you can do the upgrade yourself, and the CPUs will be much, much cheaper.
at the moment, yes, but we can expect to see more multi-threading abilities in Leopard and beyond, so the 8-core model would be much more future-proof. i'm not in the market for a mac pro at the moment (i don't need the power), but if i was i'd be waiting for cloverton
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

HyperX
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 10:34 AM

You do know that you can swap out the CPUs to the 4 core ones, right? The mother board on your mac pro will support them. No need to worry about it. In a year or two those CPUs will be cheap and you can upgrade. I just saw an article on Digg that someone just did that - and BTW saw no increase in speed. Maybe when CS3 comes out...
--
Mac Pro 3.0 Gigahertz Xeon 8 gig RAM
Mac Air 128 gig SSD

P
Dec 28, 2006, 12:43 PM

If it were me, I'd keep the machine and then in three years (= end of AppleCare warranty) I'd upgrade it to the fastest that's available then. I'm not so sure that you'd notice the extra 4 cores in daily usage, and Intel keeps producing CPUs for its old sockets for years.

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 12:53 PM

The next machines may have a better display card, a faster wi-fi, and ...
sam

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 01:41 PM

isn't it true the dual-core 3.0 is faster than an octo-core 2.33 or 2.66 in certain tasks? my main interest in this topic is with gaming because i'm having a little debate with an outspoken co-worker who adamantly believes that an octo-core mac automatically makes a mac run 8x as fast in every task no matter what.

i know this isn't true, and i have read articles about this on the internet confirming what i think is correct, but i can't prove it to him because we have limited access to the net here at work. at the same time, while i'm pretty sure i read the dual-core 3.0 is a faster chip for gaming, you also see ads by intel where they claim the new quad chip is much faster for gaming even at a lower clockspeed.

i know gaming isn't a huge topic of debate in the mac world, but can someone shed some light on the subject and edumacate my co-worker and i? thanks

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by herbsman View Post
isn't it true the dual-core 3.0 is faster than an octo-core 2.33 or 2.66 in certain tasks? my main interest in this topic is with gaming because i'm having a little debate with an outspoken co-worker who adamantly believes that an octo-core mac automatically makes a mac run 8x as fast in every task no matter what.

i know this isn't true, and i have read articles about this on the internet confirming what i think is correct, but i can't prove it to him because we have limited access to the net here at work. at the same time, while i'm pretty sure i read the dual-core 3.0 is a faster chip for gaming, you also see ads by intel where they claim the new quad chip is much faster for gaming even at a lower clockspeed.

i know gaming isn't a huge topic of debate in the mac world, but can someone shed some light on the subject and edumacate my co-worker and i? thanks
A dual-core 3.0GHz would be faster in some tasks. And there are very little, or no apps out there that are made to take advantage of more than 4 cores.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Dec 28, 2006, 02:01 PM

The other best thing about moving to Intel is now we can buy so many off the shelf upgrades when they drop in price.

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 28, 2006, 02:35 PM

I recommend enjoying your machine for a number of reasons:

1. even if announced..it will be a while before you get the new machine in hand...you will lose a month or so of use.

2. not much current software making use of the 8 way processor

3. you can upgrade to those processors in a year for much less cost

4. your wife went to the store and grabbed it for you
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 04:29 PM

Knowing me, like I know me... I'd return it in a heart beat>get a credit>wait for Macworld. If they announce new machines w/8 cores for the same price (+/-) and bump the current macpros down in price, you then have a choice to make. What if they annouce new pros but won't ship for a while, but drop the price on the current quads...? I'd order the quad again, this time w/more ram to make up the (possible) savings. Sounds like your leaning that way. Don't obsess... just return it.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

dantewaters
Dec 28, 2006, 04:37 PM

Why not keep the mac, and in a year or so buy another
Have one that renders and captures footage and the other you do your work on

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
Knowing me, like I know me... I'd return it in a heart beat>get a credit>wait for Macworld. If they announce new machines w/8 cores for the same price (+/-) and bump the current macpros down in price, you then have a choice to make. What if they annouce new pros but won't ship for a while, but drop the price on the current quads...? I'd order the quad again, this time w/more ram to make up the (possible) savings. Sounds like your leaning that way. Don't obsess... just return it.
yeah, I'm definitely leaning that way. It's a much tougher call when there's a choice. If they do release something spectacular, I'm sure a lot of complainers will emerge. Aside from pure speed, there's the possibility of iLife '07, a new case design. I did the math and even if there are no changes, I could purchase the same machine for cheaper at Macmall (no tax) after 150.00 rebate even with the Apple restocking fee

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thade View Post
yeah, I'm definitely leaning that way. It's a much tougher call when there's a choice. If they do release something spectacular, I'm sure a lot of complainers will emerge. Aside from pure speed, there's the possibility of iLife '07, a new case design. I did the math and even if there are no changes, I could purchase the same machine for cheaper at Macmall (no tax) after 150.00 rebate even with the Apple restocking fee
a new case won't happen. i think apple's intention in moving to 8-core is to concrete the fact in ppl's minds that Mac Pro is a freaking beast (although it is already), and a very different machine to the iMac line.. this distinction is important to them. they won't need to change anything other than the processor to show this!! plus how long has the new case been available? 6 months, tops?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 06:21 PM

AnandTech: Apple's Mac Pro - Upgrading CPUs, Memory & Running XP

I would wait until the 4-core chips go down in price (~$1000 each). -Then I would stick them in your MacPro. Add more memory for now if needed.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by badsey View Post
AnandTech: Apple's Mac Pro - Upgrading CPUs, Memory & Running XP

I would wait until the 4-core chips go down in price (~$1000 each). -Then I would stick them in your MacPro. Add more memory for now if needed.
but this extra ~$2000 could be saved if the machine could be exchanged for an 8-core.. and you'd have 2 perfectly good, very expensive dual core chips sitting around doing nothing after such an upgrade..

dankar
Dec 28, 2006, 09:59 PM

Was in your situation less than 3 weeks ago, debated with myself should I wait for the 8 core. To cut a long story short. I have a 3 ghz MacPro sitting in my office. The only thing is, I am waiting for, is the new flatscreen with a built-in iSight. So currently making do with one 23" screen.

Things to ask yourself, is it work or pleasure? Need or wants? If you plan to chase the technology bandwagon, it becomes a bottom-less money pit. The 2.66 ghz fast, see no reason to swap other than the need to have the Badest Mac in your neighbourhood...

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
i see no reason to swap other than the need to have the Badest Mac in your neighbourhood...
isnt that the whole point of owning a mac pro?

in all seriousness, though, mac pro is all about the power, and if waiting 2 months = 2x the cores then why the hell not?

Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 10:15 PM

...If you plan to chase the technology bandwagon, it becomes a bottom-less money pit. The 2.66 ghz fast, see no reason to swap other than the need to have the Badest Mac in your neighbourhood...
True. However, I think the matter at hand is really about getting the most bang for the buck within the next month. It would suck to have spent that money now and a month (or more like a couple weeks from now) have more computer and possibly updated software (iLife) to boot, for the same amount.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2006, 10:20 PM

Was in your situation less than 3 weeks ago, debated with myself should I wait for the 8 core. To cut a long story short. I have a 3 ghz MacPro sitting in my office. The only thing is, I am waiting for, is the new flatscreen with a built-in iSight. So currently making do with one 23" screen.

Things to ask yourself, is it work or pleasure? Need or wants? If you plan to chase the technology bandwagon, it becomes a bottom-less money pit. The 2.66 ghz fast, see no reason to swap other than the need to have the Badest Mac in your neighbourhood...

Must be tough having to make do with only 1 23" screen

It's pleasure
Wants
and yes, I want the baddest Mac

I've never been one to chase technology BUT in this particular case it's about the timing and circumstances. Even though I wasn't prepared for the Mac Pro to arrive on Christmas day, I would have bought one soon enough. With all of the MWSF speculation, I would have waited. This machine is purely personal so it's not like I'm under any pressure to actually accomplish anything with it. I'm still on the fence

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2006, 10:35 PM

This machine is purely personal so it's not like I'm under any pressure to actually accomplish anything with it. I'm still on the fence
you're getting a mac pro purely for personal use? lucky bastard

dankar
Dec 29, 2006, 05:46 AM

Must be tough having to make do with only 1 23" screen

It's pleasure
Wants
and yes, I want the baddest Mac

I've never been one to chase technology BUT in this particular case it's about the timing and circumstances. Even though I wasn't prepared for the Mac Pro to arrive on Christmas day, I would have bought one soon enough. With all of the MWSF speculation, I would have waited. This machine is purely personal so it's not like I'm under any pressure to actually accomplish anything with it. I'm still on the fence
Planning to increase my real estate (Another 23") when the new screens are available, good thing, my original order included 23" x 2 screens, but one got held up. The 8 cores macpro might cost more, but if it bring you happiness, it doesn't matter. Wait for a bit or take a risk and return the current one, one thing for sure, your missy might be unhappy, as it is a Christmas Gift.

In my case, my Dual 2 ghz G5 getting too slow for some of my commercial work.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 29, 2006, 06:39 AM

I say return it, wait for MWSF, and buy a new(er) one or the 8-core if available.
~10 days wait is nothing, and you'll even save money.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 07:21 AM

Mmm... every who is voting for "return it" ...

Nobody seems to be aware that we are talking about his WIFE ... have you EVER returned something which you got from your WIFE ?

Good Luck with that

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
Mmm... every who is voting for "return it" ...

Nobody seems to be aware that we are talking about his WIFE ... have you EVER returned something which you got from your WIFE ?

Good Luck with that

yeah, it's been mentioned. She's OK with it either way

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 29, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
have you EVER returned something which you got from your WIFE ?
I return the love my wife gives me, every day

I assumed (as Thade has already confirmed) that his wife is ok.
After all any of the decisions will benefit both

BigDogDaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 02:49 PM

Option 1:

Return the thing. Pay the restocking fee. Promptly pay $500 at developer.apple.com to sign up for a developer account. This gives you one year of OS updates and some other cool stuff. Then when you go to buy your new unit, buy it with a developer discount which currently is slightly more than $500 on the Mac Pro. Better: If you or one of your family are college students, sign up for the student developer account ($99) and still save the $500 (but no free update to new versions of OS X).

http://developer.apple.com/membership/details.html

Pros: Updates mailed to you regularly. Possibility to get upgrade to 8 core do dad.
Cons: Several weeks of no awesome Mac Pro. Possibility that no new exciting 8 core Mac Pro is released and you just flushed a bit of change and had to do without for several weeks.

Option 2:

Enjoy what you have now. You can always upgrade the chips later when they aren't on the cutting edge of technology. Its likely there will be some price premium between the two units or you will have to settle for a lower clock speed. Side Note: Strangely having a Mac Pro, even during Video transcoding I have yet to see the 4 core Mac Pro hit 100% utilization for beyond a second.

Pros: You will the only person excited if Steve doesn't introduce an 8 core Mac Pro. You can enjoy your computer now.
Cons: The "Damn I could have had a (fill in the blank)" feeling the day after.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 03:02 PM

I'd vote on keeping it.
In all likelyhood you'll have to wait for a new machine and it may cost more then what you paid for now. Enjoy what you have now and not worry about the future.
Michael

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 03:43 PM

wow, great responses. Upgrading down the road is certainly on option when the quad Xeons come down a bit. No doubt the dual core Xeons will hold reasonable value. I'm no stranger to selling off hardware to finance upgrades on eBay

I'll definitely read up on the developer deal. I'm also going to contact the Apple store and take a stab at requesting an extension returning/re buying this system on paper so I can have some peace of mind without actually lugging it into the store & paying a re stoking fee. They'll most likely shoot down the idea but who knows, maybe they'll be a bit more liberal because it was a gift.

Either way I'm already working on upgrades. My X1900XT is on the way and I'm shopping for RAM

NoNameMacNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 01:18 AM

Actually what I'll be looking for from MacWorld is an announcement that Apple will use AMD processors. If so, look for Apple to announce a product based on AMD's upcoming true 4-core, Barcelona. Barcelona may offer advantages over Clovertown, power dissipation being one reason to wait. My hunch is that Clovertown may dissipate a lot of heat and that Barcelona would dissipate less--just a hunch. And, that would play to Apple's strengths and needs. If it all happens, you'll need to wait til summer to buy one. And whoever said that few applications can take advantage of all eight CPUs is correct. Many applications will only access one; a few will access more than one. If you don't process video or perform other CPU intensive and multi-CPU-able tasks, it will be like owning a yacht and keeping it in dry storage.

AMD Unveils Barcelona Quad-Core Details

Intel and AMD are both fine companies and earnest competitors. If you always wait for what's around the corner, you'll wait forever. After Barcelona and Clovertown, there will be more great processors, you can be sure.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by NoNameMacNN View Post
Actually what I'll be looking for from MacWorld is an announcement that Apple will use AMD processors. If so, look for Apple to announce a product based on AMD's upcoming true 4-core, Barcelona. Barcelona may offer advantages over Clovertown, power dissipation being one reason to wait. My hunch is that Clovertown may dissipate a lot of heat and that Barcelona would dissipate less--just a hunch.
Intel is currently well ahead of AMD in the quad core desktop power consumption (and performance) arena. Details here.

Barcelona (which won't be out until the middle of next year) will come closer by reducing TDP to ~65-125W (compared to Clovertown at 80-120W plus memory controller). But Intel will be shrinking to 45nm about the same time, which will reduce their new chip's power consumption.

I think the phrase "true 4-core" w/r/t Barcelona is misleading and/or meaningless: all of the multicore chips have various levels of integration between the cores. Woodcrest truly puts 4 cores in a single socket. FWIW, Intel's current duals are more integrated than AMD's duals with shared cache in the former.

collinong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 05:25 AM

if what you wrote originally is accurate, you should *request* and RMA on 1/8/07 but not actually return it until you see what is announced. i've actually not done any Apple RMA's but for most companies, requesting the RMA number only starts the process in the system. You only get your money or exchange when they receive the returned system. If you fail to send it in, usually the RMA gets cancelled eventually and it's like nothing happened.

in the meantime, i wouldn't open any of the stuff that you think you will return.

maybe somebody with direct experience on Apple RMA's can comment if they think this strategy will work.

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 05:52 AM

yeah, it's been mentioned. She's OK with it either way
If that is true, that she is happy and at peace with the idea of your return of her Christmas gift, then you are a blessed man.

Chito
Senior User
Dec 30, 2006, 09:44 AM

By your own admission you don't really "need" eight cores. You also don't know for sure that beast will be available anytime soon...so you're going to take back your christmas gift from your wife because it isn't good enough and she's perfectly ok with that? Good luck...I think you're ungrateful.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chito View Post
so you're going to take back your christmas gift from your wife because it isn't good enough and she's perfectly ok with that? Good luck...I think you're ungrateful.
I think what Thade is saying, is that he wouldn't want to waste her hard-earned money on something that would be, and I use this term extremely lightly, out-dated a month later.

Good luck with your choice,
onlyone-jc.

MichaelNH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 12:09 PM

I have a MacPro and I have to say the biggest speed boost/investment was a RAM upgrade, as well as the x1900 card... with 4 cores, and only 1GB of memory, you are really not getting nearly the speed you should deserve... Keep the 2.66. get a total of 4GB of ram.. and up the video card, and I can assure you, you won't be happier.. running games at 100+fps is amazing!!

P
Dec 30, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think the phrase "true 4-core" w/r/t Barcelona is misleading and/or meaningless: all of the multicore chips have various levels of integration between the cores. Woodcrest truly puts 4 cores in a single socket. FWIW, Intel's current duals are more integrated than AMD's duals with shared cache in the former.
The point is the communication between the cores. Intel's DCM technology relies on the FSB to transfer data between the two dies in the same socket - like two CPUs in two sockets on the same motherboard - while their own "true dualcores" use a shared L2-cache. AMD uses coherent Hypertransport, which is what is also used for multiple sockets on the same motherboard. Don't know what IBM uses in Power4. I'd be fine with calling Intel's current chips "true quadcore" except for the fact that they're a mixture between two technologies, one more integrated than the other. It really only matters when one core needs to read data in the L2-cache on the other die in the same socket - that's where Intel loses, because reading over the FSB is so much slower than reading over cHT. That only happens when two threads are working on the same dataset. don't know how common that is in general desktop applications. Probably not too common.

AMD is indeed taking a page from Intel with Barcelona, where the L3 cache is shared between all cores. I hope they have a really good caching algorithm to keep all those caches useful.

Oh, and ObNitpick: You probably meant Cloverton.

EDIT: Power4 uses a common L2 cache, same as Core Duo.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 01:11 PM

If you skip past the argument about the core differences (pun intended), I think it's at least worth returning and waiting to see what comes out in terms of improvements elsewhere, especially graphics/video card improvements, inclusion of new OS (with a buy now, get a free upgrade) if that takes place (although it's a bit early for that), and wi-fi (I think someone mentioned that up there)

Once you get past the processor argument (to which I'd agree it's a small step for everyone but the most advanced user), other things DO warrant consideration of returning and waiting for MWSF.

I would return.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2006, 02:05 PM

Dude, just keep it. I would be more worried about adding memory than gettign four more cores. It looks like you aren't even going to use the four you have. Just keep it and enjoy it. Just get some more RAM, and it'll last for a long time.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Hobeaux
Dec 30, 2006, 02:09 PM

Keep what you have. If you don't, you'll run the chance of hurting your wife's feelings.

Besides that, even -if- Apple came out with a new 8-core machine it's doubtful that it would be available for purchase any time soon, they'll need sufficient supply in order to meet demand.

On a performance note, I -believe- that the new chip runs at a slower rate. Yes, there's more cores but if your apps cannot use more than two cores or worse yet aren't multi-threaded at all, the machine apps will likely run slower than the current quad systems.

2.0GHz is slower than 2.66.

keep what you have, invest in RAM. 4GB is the minimum. If you can, get more.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hobeaux View Post
On a performance note, I -believe- that the new chip runs at a slower rate. Yes, there's more cores but if your apps cannot use more than two cores or worse yet aren't multi-threaded at all, the machine apps will likely run slower than the current quad systems.

2.0GHz is slower than 2.66.

keep what you have, invest in RAM. 4GB is the minimum. If you can, get more.
There are 2.0GHz, 2.33GHz, and 2.66GHz versions of the chip. There are also two slower versions of the chip, of which I think run at 1.66GHz, and 1.83GHz. But, both use a slower FSB. So, maybe we'll see the slower chips in future iMac, Mac Mini, and/or MacBook/MacBook Pro product lines.

onlyone-jc.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The point is the communication between the cores. Intel's DCM technology relies on the FSB to transfer data between the two dies in the same socket - like two CPUs in two sockets on the same motherboard - while their own "true dualcores" use a shared L2-cache. AMD uses coherent Hypertransport, which is what is also used for multiple sockets on the same motherboard. Don't know what IBM uses in Power4. I'd be fine with calling Intel's current chips "true quadcore" except for the fact that they're a mixture between two technologies, one more integrated than the other. It really only matters when one core needs to read data in the L2-cache on the other die in the same socket - that's where Intel loses, because reading over the FSB is so much slower than reading over cHT. That only happens when two threads are working on the same dataset. don't know how common that is in general desktop applications. Probably not too common.
I'm with you there; AMD's "hypertransport everywhere" architecture looks more elegant on paper than Intel's shared bus.

Having done a bit more research, I think comparing Barcelona to Kentsfield/Clovertown is misleading; one is available today, the other won't be available until at least the middle of next year.
Today: Kentsfield (DCM/FSB) beats with 4x4 (sockets/cHT) on both performance and power consumption
This time next year: I expect the result will be the same with Yorkfield (DCM/FSB) having the performance and power consumption edge over Barcelona, with similar results on the multi-processor side.

After that it gets interesting... AMD may be able to regain the lead if Intel stumbles with CSI again.

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 05:49 PM

Well, I returned the Mac Pro. No hard feelings from the wife, she knows me too well. The bonus: No restocking fee. I guess I got lucky there. At least I can relax a little and see what Steve has to say.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2006, 07:21 PM

Well, I returned the Mac Pro. No hard feelings from the wife, she knows me too well. The bonus: No restocking fee. I guess I got lucky there. At least I can relax a little and see what Steve has to say.
I love rumors! I'm gonna laugh if Steve doesn't announce new Mac Pro's

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 08:03 PM

sarcastic reply edited
( Last edited by Thade; Dec 30, 2006 at 08:32 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules