Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Still pleased with my Quicksilver

Still pleased with my Quicksilver
ARK
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 10:32 AM

I bought a dual 1Ghz Quicksilver in Sept. last year and I must say I'm still pretty pleased with my purchase.

I figured after a while, I would feel like I was falling behind in the computer specs when I finally got a computer. But so far I haven't felt that way at all. Not sure why since the top of the line is 400 mhz faster. Maybe its because the whole DDR issue not being taken advantage of.

Anyway, I still feel good about my purchase and just wanted to share. The 17" Studio display is a different subject though.. only because the 20" seems to be pretty nice.

Anyone else been pretty satisfied?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

BlankMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 10:55 AM

Hell, I'm still satisfied with my DP 500...For everyday tasks it still seems fine to me...Some games are a little slow, but I don't make my living with Photoshop or anything...I never really feel like I'm waiting on the computer and that's good enough for me...
BlankMac

"Who was that masked
macintosh?"

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 11:16 AM

I bought my dual-gig just before MWNY this past July (I had some info on what would/wouldn't be released) because I got such a deal. I'm still thrilled with it, and I love how quiet it is. It's the last model before the MDDs were released. Since I upgraded from a B&W with G4 upgrade the difference is like night and day. This time I'm sticking to my guns: "No More PowerMacs Until The New Processors." We'll see........

ttliem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 11:30 AM

Looked at the new offering and couldn't see switching from my dual 800. For my needs, the new speed in the 4x Superdrive would be useful. I don't think I'll switch until I see speeds in the 2GHz range or some major design or processor change, but then in the latter case maybe I don't really want to be the first. Besides, I've got 3 fast SCSI internal 70GB drives that are way too expensive to just leave behind, or replace. Would or do many of you ever transfer good internal drives from an older G4 to your newly purchased model?
Still Waiting For A Super Gx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 05:43 PM

Same Here, I love my DP 1 gig. I bought it in May before MWNY with a bit of trepidation not knowing what was going to be released and I have to say I like this design and speed over the MDD. I went with the gig because I want to get more then 3 years of service - of course if apple comes out with a new cool machine I would probably get it

Mike

rworne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 06:16 PM

A bit uncomfortable with what you can buy nowadays with the same amount of cash, but I have never felt better about a computer purchase than I have with the DP800.

Even today, 16 months after buying it, I am happy with it speed-wise. A few things I did to make it more pleasant to use: Made dual-headed w/Radeon PCI 7000, added ACARD (actually reflashed SIIG) RAID controller w/2x WD 120GB (SE) drives.
--
My menagerie:
NeXT Cube, NeXT Turbocolor,
Daydream, G4 800DP,
Dual USB iBook, iPod

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2003, 06:29 PM

Still happy with my dual 800. Though a dual PPC970 sure would be nice, especially for my graphics work. Still won go PC, as fast as they are. OS X has a firm grip on me.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 06:38 PM

still lovin my dual 800.

When the time comes I'll just throw a nice new shiny superdrive in it and some other goodies
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 07:15 PM

I am still loving my DP800. I use a G4 500 @ school and it can't beat my rig at home. I added bluetooth and now my machine is as connected as the new ones!

...And I like be able to boot into 9 as well sometimes
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 05:19 PM

i still dig my single 800. i sometimes wonder how much difference the lack of cache makes, but until i see a really cheap 800 + cache deal (and i have no other things i want to purchase) i will exercise restraint. on the other hand, i do have two 17" apple studio display lcds, since like the original poster, i felt the 20" crunch and had to do something about it...

coolmac
Feb 18, 2003, 05:49 PM

I'll chime in with my 933Mhz.Quicksilver, it's my first Mac and the best computer I've ever had, not a single problem since I got it.
I've changed the video card to the Geforce 4Ti card and maxed the memory to 1.5gig's and it's plenty fast for my needs.

I just put it on a 20" Cinema display and together it's a beauty.

Now that I know I'm a Mac fan I'm thinking of getting the dual 1.42gig when it's finally in the stores, but wonder if I'm not better off waiting for the new IBM processors.

Ordinarily I wouldn't wait but this just might not be the average upgrade.

raferx
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 10:48 PM

I love my DP 1GHz, but I take delivery tomorrow of an Athlon XP2400 and if it is as snappy or snappier than my Dual in my everyday applications, then I might seriously consider selling my Mac and grabbing a dual XP2600 or better, and then still have enough leftover for a new Sony 21" CRT, AND an iPod. I love Apple, but the OS doesn't justify my sticking with them after 5 years of overpriced hardware... if the 970 is all it's cracked up to be, they can have some more of my hard earned $$$ back. OS X.2 WILL NOT prevent me from seeking a way to do my job faster. An application is an application, I am focused on nothing but applications, not OS'es.
Cheers,
raferx

pdot
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 01:36 AM

I'm still pleased with my G4/400. Planning on getting a CPU upgrade in a few months. Computer after that: Powerbook G5 (whatever and whenever that will be).
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 03:07 AM

I purchased my system around the same time as Ark did. I have a dual processor 1 ghz MDD. I love this machine, it is pretty sweet. The noise the computer makes doesn't bother me at all.

I bought this system knowing it would not neccessarily be as fast as a PC and also knowing it would be more expensive. Even factoring all of that into the equation, I am not disappointed with my purchase.

I do have to admit, when the RAM was at 256 megs, I was somewhat disappointed by its performance. I didn't realize how much a ram upgrade would make a difference. After upgrading the RAM, I find that multitasking is incredibly stable and I take it for granted. This operating system was well worth the extra expense. I couldn't do half the multitasking with XP that I can do with my Mac.

I do feel the operating system makes the system you purchase. I hate how "temporary" XP is in the sense that I don't find it reliable enough. My information is far too important for me to deal with something i don't find reliable. I work with XP at work, and the interface is slow, clunky, and the system needs to be rebooted quite frequently.

All in all, I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I have left the PC world behind without any regrets. I might want to point out that if Macs were still on OS 9.2, I would not be interested in them. The operating system was definately the big factor in my choice of a system, not the hardware.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 03:57 AM

Well, my fellow mac zealots, this is coming from a dude who doesn't have a mac right now.

Why? It's in the shop being fixed.

Thank you apple, your products are the finest in the industry :sigh:
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 21, 2003, 12:53 AM

I just got my Dual Gig QS back after a one month stint in the shop for a logic board replacement (the soldered in ethernet port went bad). VERY happy to have it back as this 450mhz Cube I've been using is crazy slow in comparison. I hear this issue I had with my QS is rather common for Dual Gig QS's so, be forewarned.

BTW, this is my first Mac hardware failure in 8 years... ( unless you count the 10g iPod I had replaced due to harddrive failure last year).

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Leonis
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 02:07 AM

I too have the Dual GHz SlowSilver(tm)

Too bad my PC really is faster than this

Anyway.....The SlowSilver and the Cinema Display are the perfect match

MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 21, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Leonis:

Too bad my PC really is faster than this

Thats not too bad, the PC still cant run OSX and certainly isnt as fresh looking as your QS setup.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 11:05 AM

I bought a dual gig at work last May, and it still seems fast to me. It has also been the most stable, trouble-free Mac I have ever owned, and I've had 8 dif. Macs, going back to a Centris 610.

The thing didn't crash, hang or otherwise suffer a single issue (that wasn't operator induced) for the better part of four months. I've had one kernel panic, and maybe two system freezes now, in 9 months, and no hardware issues at all. I'll be keeping it for as long as it will run the software I need to run. I figure it to be good for 4 or 5 years.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2003, 10:45 AM

I'm still very happy with my dual 800. It's been running perfectly ever since Apple replaced the defective motherboard under warranty. When I brought it in for the repair, the tech said it was the dirtiest machine he'd ever seen - the case was so full of dust they had to take it outside to clean it. Since then (almost a year), there's been no real dust accumulation in the case but there's more dust in the room -so I got a working computer at the cost of giving up a first-rate electrostatic dust precipitator. Now I think I'll be able to hold out until the 970+ or 980 show up.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Feb 24, 2003, 10:42 AM

I am still very pleased with my Education 733 Quicksilver. I have 512MB RAM and it meets my needs. I don't see a need to upgrade even though the new machines are twice as fast time two processors. I only wish I had a better graphics card. I find that they only things that slow my computer down significantly are Photoshop and GIMP, but even those are manageable. Once I buy a PowerBook, my QS will become a really nice file/print server and backup device.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 09:38 AM

I also love my DP800. It's got a WD 120GB 8MB -cache hard drive, a GeForce 3 and 1GB RAM. Couldn't be happier. For what I do, it's plenty of power. I truly believe it's faster than the 2GHz Dell Pentium 4 I'm forced to endure at work.

I'm using a new 1GHz TiBook these days as my main machine because I needed the portability, but I can't bear to part with the DP800.

For a single task, the 1GHz TiBook can be slightly faster, but the second you open a second app that does anything significant in the background (even iTunes' visualizations) or do anything that has significant hard drive access, the DP800 pulls way ahead (yes, I know it's not really fair to compare a laptop HD with a high-power desktop HD, but still....)

macosity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 07:19 PM

I used to buy a new apple every year (usually imacs) but now my powermac 867 SP has been a charm. the only problem I had with it was a DVDR drive, which Apple replaced, along with plastics (thanks Emeryville Apple Store for scratching my computer!!! grrrr). But since then, everything has been great. I like the expandibility (160GB storage now), and ram slots. The processor speed is jaw dropping, it runs circles around my PowerBook Pismo. I also like the nice clean design in the front.

My Only qualm: the light in the front. When I am trying to sleep it bothers me. That's the only thing I like about the MDD is that the light is very small. But other than that, the computer's great!

bbrowne74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 10:22 PM

I got my DP867 in November. I love it, and dont' notice any speed problems for what I do on my machines. Since I work in IT for a job, I dont' do much at home other then consumer surfing, email, etc. My TiBook 1Ghz though that I use for work does the trick!

I won't ever go back PC again. I moved PC in '98 after the Rhapsody fiasco and glad I did. It made my return to Mac so much sweeter!
17" iMac Core 2 Duo 1.5GB/160GB/SuperDrive
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz 2GB/160GB/Superdrive
5G 60GB iPod w/ Video White
1G 4GB iPod Nano White
1G 1GB iPod Shuffle

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 06:17 AM

My dual800 is the best computer I have ever owned. This thing flies for me, even if pcs are faster. OS X is snappy and my 17 inch Apple LCD is just brilliant.

PS: Lot's of people have dual800s

pjosborne
Mar 4, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by macosity:
I used to buy a new apple every year (usually imacs) but now my powermac 867 SP has been a charm.
I have to agree. I generally upgrade every year, but can't see any reason to move from my Quicksilver 867 SP. I guess the RAM makes a difference (1.5gig), but it still feels as snappy as it did when I bought, even despite all the bloatware upgrades I've applied in the meantime. Think I'll probably wait till the 970's introduced before upgrading again

Pete (UK)
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 08:56 AM

At work (graphic design) I use a G4 500 under OS 9.04, 700 odd Mb RAM. Kicks ass. Normally get 3 days uptime. Sometimes I have to wait for a command to finish (usually printing postscript files or distilling same) but, hey, I need some excuse to take a break.

At home it's a 733 Quicksilver 1.5gig ram + 17" Studio display (10.2.3). That's fast enough for me. Rarely do I find myself thinking 'Hurry the fark up, already'. Uptime is limited only by manual restarts after upgrades (now that I have removed the MPDD video card, that didn't support deep sleep).

I find the two biggest bottlenecks are the 56k modem (at home) and my own inefficiency. Tried using the keyboard to navigate the finder? It's FAST.

What I do find curious, though, are the built in lags in the system. In System 7 it used to be zoom rectangles and menu blinking, if you turned those off, the machine felt FAST. Now it's the genie (or scale) effect, the animated window closing etc. Even though you CAN still keep working while those effects are happening, most of us will wait the millisecond or so it takes, before starting the next operation. The overall effect of these UI 'features' is sluggishness.

Having said all that, I love this thing. And you PC users should be grateful, too. If it wasn't for the Mac, you'd be using DOS 10.2.4. <shiver>
e-gads

Forum Links
Forum Rules