Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transporting asleep

Transporting asleep
Gig103
Jul 2, 2004, 12:39 PM

I have a new InCase "sleeve" case for my 15" PB, and I was wondering if I have to worry about heat buildup if I keep it in the case while asleep? I already always put it in with the vents/hinge up but if i'm carrying it around for most of the day only opening when I need it, should I be shutting it down?
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 01:40 PM

Once the PB goes to sleep it won't create any heat. I never turn my powerbook off, ever! It's so much faster to sleep rather than hibernate in Windoze. There is no advantage to turning off the computer rather than sleeping, unless of course your latch doesn't keep the screen closed like my first 15" AluBook didn't. I don't even pay attention to how I put the computer in the sleeve and I have an InCase as well. The zipper broke recently, and I need to email them about it, but otherwise a decent case, especially for the price.
Next time, do a forum search as this issue has been discussed before.

Gig103  (op)
Jul 2, 2004, 04:33 PM

Thank you for the answer. I love the fact that it is faster than Windows Hibernate and I figured out I 'lose' 10% of battery per 24hr of sleep. Not bad at all for the instant-on tradeoff.

And for the record I did search. However, the terms "sleep" "hibernate" "power" are all HUGE areas in a laptop forum, so reading a hundred threads of 20+ posts is not feasible.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 11:57 PM

to my knowledge, the battery is the thing loosing its charge. if your battery did not loose its charge so quickly, your loss would be much lower.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 03:11 AM

there's a post somewhere about how to kill ur lidwake. there is a code u put into the terminal, to turn off the lidwake thingie. when u open your powerbook (or if the latch happens to become undone in transportation) it will not come out of sleep. hitting a button is needed to bring the powerbook out of sleep. not sure where that code is, try a search on forums.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 03:31 AM

Here's what Dr. Michael posted in a different thread:

I cannot recommend sleep mode when you travel. All my powerbooks did awake froom time to time from sleep (for a few seconds). This means the hd can spin up an can be damaged when the powerbook is transported.

So I did not find the sleepmode to be 100% reliable. The least thing that you should do is switch of lidwake. That means the powerbook will not awake if you open the lid. I think the gentle moves of the lid are the main cause that the powerbooks somtimes wake up unexpectedly.

In the terminal type: sudo pmset lidwake 0

Switch it on again with: sudo pmset lidwake 1

You get more info with: man pmset

And plug off all of your usb connections. If they are removed or put in and the powerbook is in sleepmode it will awake. Also if this happens accidentially in your bag.

i did type that, and when i open the lid, it doesnt wake up. i think it's useful and i think it rox that dr michael put that up here ... if u want, try it .. it does make me feel better about it..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Here's what Dr. Michael posted in a different thread:

I cannot recommend sleep mode when you travel. All my powerbooks did awake froom time to time from sleep (for a few seconds).
I have never seen this, nor heard of it.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I have never seen this, nor heard of it.
It happens to me almost every time I bring my PB anywhere. Of course I have a Rev A 15" Albook with the lid latch defect, so it wakes itself up because the lid pops up. That terminal command sounds useful. I always worry about my HD getting damaged from spinning up while the PB is in my bag.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by KP*:
It happens to me almost every time I bring my PB anywhere. Of course I have a Rev A 15" Albook with the lid latch defect, so it wakes itself up because the lid pops up. That terminal command sounds useful. I always worry about my HD getting damaged from spinning up while the PB is in my bag.
hey kp .. that terminal thingie does work. and i use it with lidwake off. it's wierd .. in the beginning u usually open the lid and look at it .. waiting for it to come out of sleep .. gradually u get used to hitting a key to wake it up =P ..

dr. michael posted that on a thread about transporting while pb is asleep .. he suggested the lidwake fix .. and it does work. if u want me to hunt for that thread, message back n i'll see if i can search it.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 03:43 AM

Zounds! .. found it ... it is here

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=sudo

it's about half way down the page. or u can just apple-F and look up lidwake or sudo .. should bring u right to it .. =)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the cool tip guys! I finally found a use for the Terminal!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 12:28 PM

actually I use it quite a bit for lots of things like killing procceses.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 04:46 PM

hey kp .. that terminal thingie does work. and i use it with lidwake off. it's wierd .. in the beginning u usually open the lid and look at it .. waiting for it to come out of sleep .. gradually u get used to hitting a key to wake it up =P ..

dr. michael posted that on a thread about transporting while pb is asleep .. he suggested the lidwake fix .. and it does work. if u want me to hunt for that thread, message back n i'll see if i can search it.
Yeah, I've got it on now. It's a lot nicer, I think. A lot of times I'd tap the spacebar to get my PB to wake up even with lidwake on, because the PB would get so confused by being woken and put back to sleep in my bag. So the extra step to get it on is much better if it means the PB is less confused when it tries to wake.

The worst part of it all was that I have it set to require a password when it wakes. If, for instance, it woke and slept five times while I carried it to work, when I got to work and opened it, it would require me to enter my password five times before it woke up. VERY annoying! No more of that, I hope!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 05:42 PM

wow .. it wakes up 5 times during ur trip to work? screw the password annoyance ... the fact that it wont be waking up while it's moving is more important ... test it out .. let us know if it still wakes.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 12:39 AM

no lidwake? were going old skool now!
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 03:42 PM

wow .. it wakes up 5 times during ur trip to work? screw the password annoyance ... the fact that it wont be waking up while it's moving is more important ... test it out .. let us know if it still wakes.
What I meant was that the password problem only happened with lidwake on. Now that it won't wake up during travel, I should never have to worry about it again.

It was interesting because that's how I knew how many times it woke up on each trip, by how many times it required a password. Usually it was between 3-5. I guess once the lid popped open, it would keep rewaking itself. I'll be commuting with it tomorrow for the first time since turning lidwake off, and I'm looking forward to a safe trip for my PB.

raferx
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 12:59 AM

Ummm.... that terminal tip ROCKS!

Thnx!

Cheers,
raferx

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 12:22 PM

Not to be rude, but if your lids are opening when transporting, either the latch needs to be repaired, or you're not doing a good enough job of protecting the computer (or I should say that case isn't doing its job). I'd hate to think of what else could happen if the case is allowing the latch to pop open.

My first AluBook did have a latch issue and it would open occasionally. I had it fixed and since then the computer never came awake while transporting and neither does the replacement. I usually keep my laptop in a snug-fitting sleeve that I sometimes put in another bag and it has never awoken. Even my mom's generic <$20 laptop bag has a huge velcro strap on the inside which keeps the entire laptop, screen and all in place.

My best advice is a high-quality sleeve inside another case. My favorite sleeves are by Acme and Brenthaven, with Brenthaven offering the most protection in my mind. Secondly making sure that your latch works as it should. Possibly the problem that people are talking about it related to wear, but even so, the case should prevent the laptop from opening. And the best advice, is to handle it gently enough so that there isn't an issue of the latch opening. Sometimes this isn't possible such as when going through airport security (although that's what the quality case is for), but my Alubook recently fell about a foot off of my bed and onto my coat, which was on the floor, without opening. Granted it wasn't a great fall, and it did hit something soft, but it was almost 6lbs of computer falling and it didn't open, nor should it have. Terminal commands and extra utilities are great (I actually use one to prevent my computer from sleeping when the lid is closed occasionally and without a monitor setup, so that it can process files when it is in the case) but I think you need to look at the causes of the problem and try and fix them.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2004, 01:26 AM

My PB suffers from the bad latch problem that a lot of the original Al 15's had (not the one that's easy to fix by bending it, the other one). It has pretty bad white spots also, but I have not had time to send it away to be repaired. I'm also afraid of the horror stories I've heard about people who sent their PBs in to have the screen replaced and had it return with a damaged case, dead/stuck pixels, hard drive problems, etc. I'm just afraid of it coming back with worse problems than it left with. I'll have to decide in the next couple months before the warranty runs out.

As for disabling lidwake, I commuted to work today for the first time with lidwake off and it was so nice not to have to worry about it every time I picked it up or walked around with it in my bag. I used to always be afraid that the HD was spinning and might be getting bumped around. Now my PB sleeps like a baby. I only wish I knew of this earlier. My HD doesn't act funny, but I hate to think of all the potential damage it was subjected to.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by KP*:
My PB suffers from the bad latch problem that a lot of the original Al 15's had (not the one that's easy to fix by bending it, the other one). It has pretty bad white spots also, but I have not had time to send it away to be repaired. I'm also afraid of the horror stories I've heard about people who sent their PBs in to have the screen replaced and had it return with a damaged case, dead/stuck pixels, hard drive problems, etc. I'm just afraid of it coming back with worse problems than it left with. I'll have to decide in the next couple months before the warranty runs out.

As for disabling lidwake, I commuted to work today for the first time with lidwake off and it was so nice not to have to worry about it every time I picked it up or walked around with it in my bag. I used to always be afraid that the HD was spinning and might be getting bumped around. Now my PB sleeps like a baby. I only wish I knew of this earlier. My HD doesn't act funny, but I hate to think of all the potential damage it was subjected to.
In your case, lidwake does sound like a safe route to take when transporting your computer, although I think it would be best to get your computer repaired. It would be much easier to live with one or two stuck pixels and a latch that works than huge and annoying white spots and a lid that always pops open. If Apple does cause any damage to it, they will repair it as well. I just feel like you should have a powerbook that is in top shape. On my first 1.25Ghz AluBook that I bought last fall, I had the screen replaced (the new screen had two stuck pixels, but I quickly didn't pay attention to them and they are far less noticeable than the white spots, so you should have no worries getting these), the latch replaced, the battery replaced three times, the keyboard replaced four times and the main logic-board replaced once. After these problems and it still not being fixed the way it should have been, they gave me a replacement 1.5Ghz model in a full retail box. I don't think that anything Apple did ever caused any more problems on my computer, expect once when they replaced the keyboard, and there were large gaps between the edges of the case. I brought it back the next day and they reset the top cover. The service is usually very quick (assuming they have the parts-when I had the screen replaced so was everyone else so I had to wait a week) and I highly recommend it. Now that I have a computer that doesn't have any of the problems of my previous, I can't envision living with the problems and I shouldn't have to have.

spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 12:04 PM

I'm a consultant, so I fly every week, and I usually ride my motorcycle the 70 miles to the airport. I have a Rev. A TiBook 400mhz that I pre-ordered when they were announced and I've been carrying it with me since. Never had any problem with it. I did upgrade the hard drive a year or so ago, but just to get more space; the old one was still working fine. If mine can handle years of that kind of travel, I don't think you need to worry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules