Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > 100 posts needed to create threads

100 posts needed to create threads (Page 2)
REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 01:12 AM

Mods...How bout a rating system like the one on FredMiranda.com. It seems to work well.

B

P.S. 8 more post to go.
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

cmillerdesign
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl View Post
I've been a member here since 2003, and only 47 posts (this is 48?) I've also done a few good trades through this marketplace (one over $2,000 worth) all successful and with no problems. I don't chat up the forums a lot, but I like the community and generally trust people here.

I wanted to post a WTB in the Market Place but now I can't... do I really have to just spam random posts for a few weeks before I can make a posting? Thanks.
Exactly what I was thinking. Someone started the "good sellers" listing here due to ME (just search for my name)! On another site they did the same min post count change. I had to randomly reply to posts with much disinterest just to become creditable for their marketplace. I guess I know I'm honest which is why it seems unfair.... oh well, I better make some more coffee in get started posting

cmillerdesign
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2008, 11:01 AM

Here's that link.... maybe these members can be grandfathered in. Why did this post get locked anyway. Seemed like it was working.

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cmillerdesign View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Someone started the "good sellers" listing here due to ME (just search for my name)! On another site they did the same min post count change. I had to randomly reply to posts with much disinterest just to become creditable for their marketplace. I guess I know I'm honest which is why it seems unfair.... oh well, I better make some more coffee in get started posting
I'm in the same boat, but I think the 100 post rule is a good one, even if it inconveniences a few people. the point is so that people can get some glimpse of the kind of person you are by doing a search of your posts. If you "spam" a few threads just to get to 100 posts, then it will make people less likely to trust you in a marketplace transaction.

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 04:27 PM

btw, i don't think reply posts within the marketplace "count" towards your post total

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by w8ing4intelmacs View Post
btw, i don't think reply posts within the marketplace "count" towards your post total
Sure they do. Unless the mods customized the vBulletin forum software, which I doubt they did.

-t

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Sure they do. Unless the mods customized the vBulletin forum software, which I doubt they did.

-t
oh, i guess you're right. i think it was some other website where the marketplace posts don't count towards your post total.

Veritas&Equitas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2008, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by w8ing4intelmacs View Post
i think it was some other website where the marketplace posts don't count towards your post total.
= MacRumors

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Veritas&Equitas View Post
= MacRumors
ah, that's it. i knew i saw it somewhere

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 07:59 PM

Another long-term member with 100+ posts and can't post a new topic. Any suggestions?

Cold Warrior
Aug 5, 2008, 03:20 AM

If you haven't logged in in a while, it can take an hour for the server to upgrade your profile to the necessary user group.

It looks like this was the case. http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...b/#post3703030

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2008, 08:56 AM

Yep. reader50 helped me out with it. Thanks!

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2008, 07:05 PM

I think the requirement should be lowered for members that have been for over 2 years.

JayMan8081
Aug 20, 2008, 11:44 AM

I don't think it really matters too much what people post in this thread at least not at the moment. They just implemented this post count limit so unless it's extremely broken they aren't likely to change it without seeing how it works and what the system's pitfalls may be.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Aug 20, 2008, 12:53 PM

We have spies monitoring this thread.

werps
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2008, 02:19 PM

I made the cut-off for keeping the rights to the Marketplace Forum. I just want to add that one of the other, mac market place sites, I did not. I was a bit hurt by that and will not try to make the mark there, I don't think I will even visit it again, it would take too much useless time and effort to meet the goal! I've been trying to find good buys right now as I'm trying to upgrade out of the G3 world. I don't get too involved in much other then the Marketplace on any sites, maybe to ask for a little help sometimes with my macs, thanks to you that reply with your expert knowledge! I'm a Father that just likes macs, and try to keep my wife and two kids and myself in macs. I could never afford new ones, so I have always used the mac forum market places to get our macs. I thank MACNN for not making the post count and time period too steep! As for the other site, it is gone for me and I must think, for others too! I hope MACNN picks up the other sites (lost buyers and sellers)! Thanks Again for a GREAT MARKETPLACE!
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Sep 19, 2008, 01:54 PM

It has been over two months since this was set up, so we've tweaked it to address concerns for long-term members. The privilege now gets handed out on:

• 30 days - 100 posts
• 1 year - 75 posts
• 2 years - 50 posts
• 3+ years - 25 posts

We are watching this thread, and may lower/simplify the triggers further if consensus develops for doing so. The initial 100-limit was adopted because that is the number members had asked for over the past few years.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 07:38 PM

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

eimeria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 01:40 AM

I've been a lurker for a while, not as long as some of those who have posted earlier in the thread, but for a decent amount of time. I haven't had the need to try to buy or sell items here before. In fact, haven't really sought to sell any of my stuff anywhere significant in the past. I did sell a video card on Low End Mac about 5 years ago, but nothing really since. This was long before Heatware was in use. Now, I am looking to sell something instead of sending it to a landfill. If I haven't built up a good rep on a site like heatware, is anyone really going to trust me to buy from me. I'm not looking to rip anyone off - nor do I want to get ripped off. Guess I'm just finding it difficult to see how any of this adds up to any amount of trust in the buyer/seller relationship. I guess I'll just keep lurking and posting until I meet the requirements to post a WTB or WTS thread. We'll see if anyone will be trust me enough to buy from me even though I have no feedback on Heatware, but have been lurking here for 7 years.

TheConstantEvolution
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 08:46 PM

guywithacamera already said it,

but the 100 post rule is a bad idea. especially for me. i wanna post to trade my emac for a laptop, and cant, because i need 100 posts. well i could post, but it would be the most inane things, because i already know everything i need to know about my mac and the software it runs, if i wanna know something else, i read through each section to find it, or i head to 1 of 4 2inch thick books on mastering, modding and hacking osx. having that kind of resource, plus knowing to read and search before asking, kind of eleminates my need to post 100 things. so i guess here is post number 1 of more than i need.......
fanboys go berserk if their mac isnt pristine...mine are all scratched, battered and modded. stock sucks :D

savoirfaire
Sep 28, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It has been over two months since this was set up, so we've tweaked it to address concerns for long-term members. The privilege now gets handed out on:

• 30 days - 100 posts
• 1 year - 75 posts
• 2 years - 50 posts
• 3+ years - 25 posts

We are watching this thread, and may lower/simplify the triggers further if consensus develops for doing so. The initial 100-limit was adopted because that is the number members had asked for over the past few years.
EDIT: Hey, I just realized that today is my 4-year MacNN anniversary!
Recognizing that the actual numbers may evolve over time, I think this is a very fair adjustment. I think the key is that regardless of how many posts a user has or how many years they've been a member, anyone participating in an online transaction has to exercise common sense and a healthy dose of caution, but I do agree that these guidelines will cut down on the number of bad traders we have to deal with.

spencers
Sep 29, 2008, 08:45 AM

oops!
( Last edited by spencers; Sep 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 29, 2008, 09:30 AM

Congratulations on being like the fifth person that can't wait less than 60 minutes for the privileges to get added to your account. Mods, I think the server should issue privileges every 15 seconds so that NO ONE has to wait to post in the marketplace.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2008, 11:04 AM

Hmmm, I don't even know how many posts I have here...

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Hmmm, I don't even know how many posts I have here...

http://forums.macnn.com/members/kar98/

A member's public profile will tell you.

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2009, 08:08 PM

need to check my post count, sorry for the post whoring

gaming4fun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2009, 12:56 AM

First post....
I was hoping to post a Wanted thread... only 99 more posts to go. =\

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2009, 02:47 AM

Lurked most of the time and now I'll contribute!

zoink!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2010, 06:51 PM

Well, been lurking at MacNN since 2004, and just with this post (#26) I can finally post a few items I'd like to sell in the marketplace.

I think this is a great forum, and out of respect I also felt like it was a good thing not to post useless comments that would fill up space and take bandwidth. I keep myself pretty busy and don't necessarily like spending so much time in forums. I get in and get out once my needs are met. If I can help, I'll post, but usually someone else who spends more time in here beats me to it.

Give me a little time to compose my ad and go check it out in the marketplace. Who knows? I might have just what you are looking for...

tonyb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2010, 12:11 PM

Looks like I'll have to get my post count up to sell my Apple stuff... guess this one helps!

manee
Baninated
Oct 23, 2010, 02:02 AM

Congrats on the +1!

Forum Links
Forum Rules