Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time for a Clean Install?

Time for a Clean Install?
Ralph Tomaccio
Sep 29, 2015, 07:11 PM

I've moved recently and, prior to moving, everything on my iMac (mid-2010) and hardwired HP 1300n printer were working relatively well. I was experiencing issues with the App store where it would say there were updates, tried to install them and, even though the App store said they were installed, they really weren't. They would always reappear as an update that hasn't been installed yet. I know this because I would check the version numbers. I solved that issue for the most part by manually downloading the updates from the Apple Support site and that worked - up till now.

Not only is that not working, but I now have a number of other issues since setting up my system in our new home.

1. I can no longer print anything to my printer. It's hard wired to the iMac so there are no wi-fi issues. When I try to print, I get a message in the print que window that "The printer is not responding" or "The printer may not exist or is unavailable at this time". I tried other cables and get the same results. In the Printers & Scanners preference, it says "In use" for my printer. I have only the one printer.

2. Up in the upper right on the Menu bar I use to have my name as the logged in user and was able to switch users there between my wife and I. That no longer exists.

3. The Date and Time indicator that usually appears in the Menu bar is gone. When I go to the Date and Time preferences. The Show Date & Time in the menu bar is unchecked, but when I check it, it disappears within a second continually.

4. I have the same issue as in #3 with the Time Machine icon in the Menu bar as well.

5. When I open Calendar, there is no scroll bar to move between the months when in month mode. It does appear when in Day and Week mode.

6. I'm on Yosemite v10.10.4. Trying to install Yosemite v10.10.5 over it no longer is possible either through the App store or manually.

I'm sure there are more issues I'm forgetting or have yet to discover, but I want to do something about this as something definitely seems corrupted. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Ran Repair Disk Permissions through in Disk Utility.

2. Ran YASU, CC Cleaner, Mac Scan, and Onyx to no avail.

3. Tried re-installing the OS updates.

4. Out of the terabyte HD, I have 860 GB available, so lack of space is not an issue.

What I would like to try is a Clean Install but I have some questions.

1. The computer came with Snow Leopard. If I re-install that, will I be able to go straight to El Capitan with the free update when it is available or do I need to reinstall each update which followed Snow Leopard?

2. Should I stop updating the OS somewhere prior to El Capitan or even Yosemite because of my iMac's age (mid 2010)?

3. Besides my personal files/folders, is there anything else that you recommend be saved manually?

4. Is there any value in doing a Time Machine save knowing that I am having issues with what I have?

Although the computer is usable for the most part, I need to be able to print. I'm frustrated and need to do something about all these issues.

Your help is most appreciated!

OreoCookie
Sep 30, 2015, 02:51 AM

The networking problems are solved by updating to 10.10.5 or later. Since 10.11 will be released today, I suggest you directly upgrade to that. You don't have to be concerned about performance.

Some of your problem seem quite odd, others could be due to someone changing the configuration.

1. You need to update to 10.10.5 or 10.11.0 to resolve this issue. I suggest you wait a few hours until 10.11.0 is released (it is literally coming out today).

2. Go to the System Prefs, select Users & Groups, and then have a look at Login Options. Click in the padlock on the bottom left, enter name and password, and then make sure the checkbox next to “Show fast user switching menu as” is ticked.

3. Go to the System Prefs, select Date & Time, and open the tab Clock on the right. Make sure the checkbox next to “Show date and time in menu bar” is ticked.

4. Go to the System Prefs, select Time Machine and make sure the checkbox next to “Show time Machine in menu bar” in the bottom is ticked.

5. Go to the System Prefs, select General and search for “Show scroll bars”. I reckon you want to select Always.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Sep 30, 2015, 06:07 AM

OreoCookie,

1. As I mentioned in my first post, I can no longer update the OS through the App store OR by manually downloading the update from Apple directly. It will not work properly. Maybe the new update coming out soon will be different, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, since the current OS appears to have something wrong with it, I'm really hesitant installing an OS update over something that is not working correctly to begin with. I think that;s just asking for more problems.

It's just my wife (who is 74) and I that use the computer. She does not reconfigure any of the settings as she relies on me to take care of the computer stuff.

2. I went to Users & Groups and, although “Show fast user switching menu as” was not checked, it made no difference when I did check it. After closing System Prefs, I went back in to check it a moment later and, although I had locked it, the box was again unchecked. I tried this three times with the same results.

3. Again, same with Date & Time as mentioned in my first post. Check box will not persist.

4. Again, same with Time Machine as mentioned in my first post. Check box will not persist.

5. Same with "select General and search for 'Show scroll bars'". Check box will not persist.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Oct 1, 2015, 08:38 PM

I tried reseting the printing system. What happened was that the printer disappeared from the Printer & Scanner preferences and, when I went to re-install it, it never showed up again. It's simply not available or listed.

I tried booting into safe mode and the printer wasn't available their either. Totally gone.

While in Safe Mode, I wanted to see if I could install the 10.10.5 update and that didn't work either. It appears as though my only option is to do a clean install unless someone has any other options for me to try.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 2, 2015, 08:57 AM

Yeah- can you get the SMART status of your drive? Something's really, really not right.

https://www.volitans-software.com/apps/smart-utility/ (free trial is enough)

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Oct 2, 2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Yeah- can you get the SMART status of your drive? Something's really, really not right.

https://www.volitans-software.com/apps/smart-utility/ (free trial is enough)
It passed the short test and am currently running the 3 hour long one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules