Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Laptop User

New Laptop User
thekapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 12:27 PM

Okay...I've used Mac's forver, I grew up using the 128k, SE, LCIII, Centris 610, Performa 6116, Performa 6400, PowerMac 6500, Beige G3, Cube and others, but the new 14 inch 1ghz ibook g4 is my first laptop and I have a few questions.

1. I want to keep this thing running all the time after I get home. As long as I deal with the heat issue my keeping it elevated off the desk so air flows under it I shouldn't have a problem, right? I actually use the two Lord of the Rings Extended edition box sets to hold it up since they are the same width. Kinda makes sense for them to take care of my prescious.

2. When I look in the Sys Profiler under USB it says USB Bus three times and USB High Speed Bus once. Does this mean that only one of the two ports is USB 2.0 and the other one isn't or are they both 2.0?

3. I'm taking this computer back and forth to work, should I turn it off for the trip back and forth which is only about 30 mins or can I just let is sleep for the duration?

4. Should I prime the battery by letting it completely discharge a few times and then recharge or is it okay to just unplug it and re-plug it as I require?

Any help is appreciated for this laptop newbie. And no "you should have bought a PB comments, please" ;-)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 01:43 PM

Running your comp for hours at a time is no 1.problem. I just have the computer go to sleep if I dont use it for more then 20 minutes and I haven't had one hiccup. Instead of those boxes look into an iCurve or laptop cooler (links below)

http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_notebookcooler.html

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/icurve/

2.Im almost positive that both your USB ports are indeed USB 2.

3.No real need to turn your laptop off except for long periods of time that your not going to use it (ie. your leaving the country for a week). I always carry my PB when its in sleep mode.

4.Battery callibrations are good to do at first when you haven't done one yet, but once you've done it your pretty much going to get the same battery life, maybe try doing it every month (couldn't hurt). I personally dont see a difference.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

thekapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 01:53 PM

Thank you for your answers!

40 bucks seems like a lot of money to spend to just elevate the iBook...i mean especially for the iCurve when all it does is elevate the iBook off the ground.

I'm thinking that as long as the internal fan doesn't go on I'm basically do the right thing.

billybob128
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 03:19 PM

i have the iCurve and i dont know how i lived without it i find it extreemly usefull not only for keeping it cool but also it helps immensly with work when i use it at home for work that is.

this is cause of the raised elavation. i would strongly recommend that any one running a book at home power or i should invest in one

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 03:25 PM

I want an iBook ..

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I guess if you dont have an external mouse and keyboard then the iCurve is a bit pricey for plastic, but if you do have a mouse and KB then buying helps you out alot, more room on you desk not to mention less squinting and hunching forward to look at the screen, it really is a good investment, for some n e way.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

thekapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 06:55 PM

Also, I only really use it on a desk when i'm at work. When I'm at home I usually use my laptop on my lap as the name suggests.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 10:22 PM

The Podium Coolpad from www.roadtools.com is a much cheaper ($20) alternative to the iCurve, if you really want to elevate your iBook.

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 06:04 PM

The coolpad rocks... sit it on your desk, sit it on your lap, sit it on your bed... always have good airflow under your machine!

finboy
Feb 16, 2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by James L:
The coolpad rocks... sit it on your desk, sit it on your lap, sit it on your bed... always have good airflow under your machine!
Yep, I like the coolpad. The inventor is a nice guy, too. I've been using one for a while now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules