Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 15"Al 1Ghz came back witha backlit keyboard . . . sort of

My 15"Al 1Ghz came back witha backlit keyboard . . . sort of
MSME
Feb 21, 2005, 05:32 PM

I just got my PowerBook back from Applecare today. They replaced the keyboard for third time - they keep peeling up, and it's really irritating. This time the replacement keyboard appears to be a backlit one. The backlight doesn't turn on in the dark, and if I try to adjust the brightness, nothing happens.

Is there any way to get this to work (driver or extension, perhaps?)? Or is my machine incapable of making the backlight work?

Thanks for any help.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 07:24 PM

If I understand your repair correctly, they replaced the keyboard layer with the keys on it? I guess they gave you the wrong one, with the backlit functions on the F8-F10 buttons, instead of the plain one. Anyhow I am pretty sure that the actual light part of the backlit keyboard is an additional thin layer of fiber optics that sits below the key surface, and so I don't think that it was included in your new KB face.

But I could be wrong. This leads to an interesting question though- if one could obtain that fiber optic layer, could one install it on his/her non-backlit keyboard and then make some software/driver change so that they can upgrade their PB to backlit functionality? I am presuming that the backlight gets it power from a port on the logic board somewhere, and that this port probably exists on every PB since it would be too costly to make 2 versions of the logic board- one with the port and one without. If you looked at the 15" repair manual you should be able to figure out what is going on.

Ruahrc

Forum Links
Forum Rules