Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a new monitor!

Looking for a new monitor!
dm294
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2007, 03:12 PM

I'm looking for a new monitor in the 23" range. I want a widescreen, and HD would be nice, but not crucial. I love the Apple Cinema HD display's style, but it is very expensive. I also see that some other monitors have faster frame rates and higher contrasts for lower prices. How do the Cinema displays fare in practice? Are they worth the extra money? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on a very good display, or would an HD LCD TV be a better option? (Some of them are cheaper than the apple display). I do a lot of video and music editing/mixing. I also watch a lot of movies and play some games. Thanks!
-Dan

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz
4Gig RAM
Leopard

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 04:42 PM

My BenQ 24 inch monitor was less expensive than the Apple, has component video, dvi and hdmi inputs and is 1080p so it can function as a tv without audio. sam
( Last edited by SVass; Dec 7, 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: corrected composite to component)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 06:09 PM

Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC ($670) if you want S-Video, composite video, and component video (for game consoles or high def optical disk players) in addition to DVI and VGA, or the E248WFP ($400) if just DVI and VGA is fine.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 01:47 AM

One of my machines has an LG 246W 24" display. Very nice. HDMI, VGA & component inputs, very bright and razor sharp. 2 USB ports. $600 list.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 09:28 AM

I just got a Samsung 245BW this week at work and I really like it. It's 24" and 1920x1200. I have it hooked up to my MacBook and plan to buy one for my house.

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 09:30 AM

Here's the E248WFP from Dell for $400.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 02:36 PM

HD LCD TV is not a wise choice as a computer display. I have a DELL 2407WFP Rev.04 display for less than a year. However, I still prefect an Apple Cinema Display. From my experience, my almost 5-yr old 17-inch Apple Studio Display LCD is still working flawlessly and I found the color is much better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules