Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > dlink di-624 problems with airport card

dlink di-624 problems with airport card
supernature
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 11:06 PM

I was wondering if anyone who bought a dlink di-624 (802.11g) wireless router have any problems with using it with Apple's Airport card (802.11b)?

I've used a previous dlink wireless router before and had no problems, but this router consistently every second drops signal altogether.. so I have to use it wired. My PC has no problems though connecting wirelessly.

Any ideas? Should I return it? Did I get a lemon?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2003, 07:02 PM

I don't have a D-Link router, but if your PC works fine with it, you didn't get a lemmon. What's probably happening is that your Mac's wireless configuration is slightly different from what the router needs. Have you compared, setting by setting, the PC's configuration with the Mac's?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by supernature:
I was wondering if anyone who bought a dlink di-624 (802.11g) wireless router have any problems with using it with Apple's Airport card (802.11b)?

I've used a previous dlink wireless router before and had no problems, but this router consistently every second drops signal altogether.. so I have to use it wired. My PC has no problems though connecting wirelessly.

Any ideas? Should I return it? Did I get a lemon?
I have that router. We are on a wireless network--1 iBook and 2 Compaqs. I DO drop the connection--my service is strong and everything is good--I just can't connect. It doesn't happen that often. I've been happy with it. Have you tried calling D-Link? They have pretty good tech support.

xaserax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 06:17 PM

i'm having this problem too with a DI-624. my ibook continually drops the network. i have to reboot the router and start from scratch. I can go without incident for a while and then all of a sudden it starts happening again. Sometimes I'll be logged in under my user name and all is working fine and then someone logs in under another user name and the network gets dropped.

I called D-link once about this problem and they had me update the firmware. That helped for a bit, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance, matt

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 05:08 AM

My DI-624 was working perfectly until I flashed it with the newest 2004 firmware. Now, the signal intensity drops whenever my AirPort "g" card begins sending/receiving data. As soon as data transmission ends, the signal intensity returns to normal.

Try flashing back to an older version of firmware.

John Strung
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 08:23 AM

F10000, which version was the bad firmware? MacFixit is reporting that ver. 2.41 is supposed to fix problems with Macs connecting. Is that the version you are reporting as bad, or is 2.41 a newer version that fixes the problem?
( Last edited by John Strung; Apr 6, 2004 at 10:49 AM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 09:54 AM

Firmware version 2.37 is the one causing problems on my rev C DI-624. I haven't experienced a complete dropping of my connection yet, but I do observe very strange output fluctuations during data transmission.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 7, 2004, 07:42 PM

Make sure you've turned off the Super G mode altogether.

tooki

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Make sure you've turned off the Super G mode altogether.
Already tried that; it makes no difference.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 05:46 AM

I've installed version 2.41 of the firmware, which D-Link just posted on its website; now the AirPort signal intensity drops only one bar during data transmission.

Forum Links
Forum Rules