Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hottest temp ever recorded by 8F

Hottest temp ever recorded by 8F
NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 06:19 PM

10.3.3 has been heating up my PB to very high temps lately. While playing a game the temp soared to 170F and the fans were blazing!!! The previous high was 162 and that was from before I knew how to properly cool my mac. Its temps typically rise to about 110-120 during normal use, 140-147 when using graphics intensive programs.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by NYGEO18:
10.3.3 has been heating up my PB to very high temps lately. While playing a game the temp soared to 170F and the fans were blazing!!! The previous high was 162 and that was from before I knew how to properly cool my mac. Its temps typically rise to about 110-120 during normal use, 140-147 when using graphics intensive programs.
First of all for the sake of scientific uniformity, use C when posting CPU temps.

Second of all...170!! thats 76C!! The highest I ever ever got on my 12" was 65C and that was before 10.3.2 imposed stricter fan control. Now it never goes above 56C. God your hands must be hurting from that temp let alone your PB!

banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 11:13 PM

It could just be my imagination but my 17" seems to be running hotter too after the upgrade. I never really noticed much heat from my PB before the upgrade but I am now.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2004, 12:13 AM

I've been hesitant to upgrade to 10.3.3 because of this. Are 17" models the only ones that seem to be affected, though? I have a 15" Al 1 gig.

AE-35 Unit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 03:00 AM

I know this is a Powerbook forum, but my fanless G4 Cube is definitely running hotter since the 10.3.3 upgrade.

Anybody have any ideas why?

Lucidwray
Mar 18, 2004, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
First of all for the sake of scientific uniformity, use C when posting CPU temps.

Second of all...170!! thats 76C!! The highest I ever ever got on my 12" was 65C and that was before 10.3.2 imposed stricter fan control. Now it never goes above 56C. God your hands must be hurting from that temp let alone your PB!
Not to get off topic. But I still cant for the life of me figure out why people insist on using Celsius. Let me reiterate it for you Celsius is NOT more accurate than Fahrenheit. Using one over the other is pure personal preference and environmental preference. (if your company only uses one. Then stick with it.) Since this not a Canadian or European based site. Lets stick with Fahrenheit.

So post whatever temps you want people. Dont let people bully you with their "MUST USE C" crap...

now back to our regularly scheduled topic...
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 03:35 AM

Powerbook 17 1.33 here is running 5-8 degrees F average hotter (138F) with same activities. Fans never came on unless Virtual PC or iTunes sometimes

This weekend I am going to Archive and install back to 10.3.2

I enjoyed my cooler lap now that Springtime is approaching.

Maybe nextime I won't be so quick to update

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Lucidwray:
Not to get off topic. But I still cant for the life of me figure out why people insist on using Celsius. Let me reiterate it for you Celsius is NOT more accurate than Fahrenheit. Using one over the other is pure personal preference and environmental preference. (if your company only uses one. Then stick with it.) Since this not a Canadian or European based site. Lets stick with Fahrenheit.

So post whatever temps you want people. Dont let people bully you with their "MUST USE C" crap...

Its just when you do physics or chemestry most things are in Celcius... Ok how about this... Lets Use SI units...
Lets alll use Kalvin.

170 degrees Fahrenheit = 76.6666667 degrees Celsius <-- That is crazy.

Hottest i have ever gotten to was 67C. Ok i lied i'm not using kalvin.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
Its just when you do physics or chemestry most things are in Celcius... Ok how about this... Lets Use SI units...
Lets alll use Kalvin.
How about using both?

And isn't it Kelvin?

Lucidwray
Mar 18, 2004, 05:02 AM

Yes it is 'Kelvin'. No 'a'.. and just because it is related to chemistry or physics doesnt mean its in Celsius. Im a mechanical engineering major with a focus on physics and it all depends on which books are being used. The fact is there is no "right" choice. Infact if you arent using decimals in for temp, Celsius is the least accurate one of the three..

Its all personal preference...
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 07:17 AM

Yes it is 'Kelvin'. No 'a'.. and just because it is related to chemistry or physics doesnt mean its in Celsius. Im a mechanical engineering major with a focus on physics and it all depends on which books are being used. The fact is there is no "right" choice. Infact if you arent using decimals in for temp, Celsius is the least accurate one of the three..

Its all personal preference...
Very true... So Kelvin it is
LoL fine fine I'll use google to convert to F.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 07:34 AM

Since this not a Canadian or European based site. Lets stick with Fahrenheit.

No..
Dork!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 09:31 AM

Not to get off topic. But I still cant for the life of me figure out why people insist on using Celsius. Let me reiterate it for you Celsius is NOT more accurate than Fahrenheit.
Sure, but its only difference from the SI temperature unit Kelvin, is a single additive term. The conversion from Fahrenheit requires somewhere a 5/9 factor. In this sense, Celsius is a more natural choice. And more accurate, if you wish, when you fix as reference unit the Kelvin.

Using one over the other is pure personal preference and environmental preference.
That's correct too. But for some reason the most widely used unit is Celsius.

Since this not a Canadian or European based site. Lets stick with Fahrenheit.
I don't want to insult you, but this is just nonsense. For this very simple reason: there are many-many non Americans reading these boards. Perhaps more than all american members participating here.

I cannot disagree here.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 09:52 AM

My 15"al runs about 145F when playing unreal otherwise its pretty cool and the fan kicks in too. I prefer Fahrenheit over Celcius so thhrrp to you metric snobs

Mike
( Last edited by Maflynn; Mar 18, 2004 at 11:04 AM. )

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2004, 10:50 AM

what software are you all using to find the temp? i've updated my 17" 1.33 and it seems just like before, not any hotter. matter of fact, i really can't tell when the fans are on it's so quiet!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by flanders:
what software are you all using to find the temp?
Temperature Monitor .

hayesk
Mar 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
My 15"al runs about 145F when playing unreal otherwise its pretty cool and the fan kicks in too. I prefer Fahrenheit over Celcius so thhrrp to you metric snobs

Mike
It's got nothing to do with being a snob. I like Celcius because it makes more sense. Water freezes at 0, boils at 100 and one degree of celcius is the same as one degree of kelvin. It makes more sense. Farenheit is just arbitrary and the only reason it is used is because "that's the way it always has been."

But use whatever you like. I don't care.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
It's got nothing to do with being a snob. I like Celcius because it makes more sense. Water freezes at 0, boils at 100 and one degree of celcius is the same as one degree of kelvin. It makes more sense. Farenheit is just arbitrary and the only reason it is used is because "that's the way it always has been."

Technically both numbers are arbitrary, in that assigning a numeric value to the temprature based upon its effect on a liquid (mercury - I forget). I disagree that one is better then the other, It works and using something because thats the way its always been is not a bad thing either. When the weathermen (woman) say its 20 degrees out I know exactly what they, but when they say 6 degress (celcius) its greek to me.

So in the end, when I see my PB runing at 140F I know that puppy is hot, but the fan kicks in and all is good.

Peace
Mike

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 04:05 PM

Are you serious? What is this the Weather Channel? You should get one thing straight:

Average joe weather forecast, everyday conversation, poetry �> Fahrenheit

Anything relating to science ie. microprocessor temperature (like what we're discussing now)�> Celsius!!

You also got it totally wrong! With the exception of scientists carrying out experiments analyzing how temperature limits a certain process like cellular respiration, then who the bloody cares whether C "makes sense"?! When have you ever had to say that it was more than 45 C outside? Fahrenheit for this reason is far more accessible. Decades exist in fahrenheit so you can say things like "it's in the low 50's" or the mid 80's etc. IMO this is a much nicer unit of temperature for everyday language.

Same argument applies to KM vs. Miles

What if the Proclaimers sang "I would walk 10,000 kilometers"???? Kilometer Davis? gimme a break...

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:

I don't want to insult you, but this is just nonsense. For this very simple reason: there are many-many non Americans reading these boards. Perhaps more than all american members participating here.
Doesn't matter. It's an American board owned and runned by Americans. I would disagree that the majority of posters are non Americans. I would say it was about half and half.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 04:28 PM

I would disagree that the majority of posters are non Americans. I would say it was about half and half.
We don't really know, perhaps you are right. But I am referring to all people reading the posts here, not only to posters.

Anyway, we are already far away from the initial discussion subject. Let's stop it here.

NYGEO18  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2004, 05:18 PM

I am a science teacher so I do understand the desire to use C instead of F, but, I am also an American and stubborn as you foreigners know we are, I just think of temp in F. If you told me my pb was running at 67C...Id still have to think for a second to do a conversion in my head...170F means something to me immediately.
Thats not to say C is inferior. Surely the opposite is true! A system that places water's freezing and boiling points at 0 and 100 makes more sense than 32 and 212 for F.
For those of you who are calling for Kelvin...that is the true standard...and if we are being really scientific or stanardized here then that is what we should use. But no one does...so F it is!

Beseides...the point here is that my powerbook is ON FIRE!!!!

HEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 06:58 PM

I couldn't wait for the weekend to archive and install back to 10.3.2

All is good in temperature land again on Powerbook 17 1.33 - down 8 degrees F here from 10.3.3 back to 10.3.2 (123F normal; 138F hot to ignite fan)

Now if I could only find where Mozilla keeps the prior email clients and bookmarks and how to move or import them easily to whereever.

In the former days, Mozilla would search and install these without ado.

Anyone know how?

Thanks

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 07:11 PM

All is good in temperature land again on Powerbook 17 1.33 - down 8 degrees F here from 10.3.3 back to 10.3.2 (123F normal; 138F hot to ignite fan)

Now if I could only find where Mozilla keeps the prior email clients and bookmarks and how to move or import them easily to whereever.

Anyone know how?

Thanks

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 07:16 PM

Anyone know how?

Thanks

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by HouseSold:

Anyone know how?

Thanks
Nope x 3

15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2004, 09:53 PM

iBook G3 (600MHz) temps seem same after 10.3.3.

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 01:47 AM

Hey Sandbaggin

I only posted once (1X)

No idea why there are 3 posts; they only counted as one.

Oh well......that kind of day.

That's what I get for reverting to 10.3.2

The network problem that got fixed in 10.3.3 came back and got me for re-installing 10.3.2, but I sure enjoy my ole cooler running Powerbook and there is a measurable, noticeable, verifiable difference.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2004, 05:06 AM

When have you ever had to say that it was more than 45 C outside? Fahrenheit for this reason is far more accessible. Decades exist in fahrenheit so you can say things like "it's in the low 50's" or the mid 80's etc. IMO this is a much nicer unit of temperature for everyday language.
Sorry to wander off the initial topic and back onto the temporary one, but...

I believe you are mistaken, my good man. Why is it more accessible to say that it's more than 112 degrees outside than to say it's more than 45 degrees outside? If anything, it's the other way around, since 45 is a shorter word than 112...

And the decades have nothing to do with Fahrenheit, they have to do with English. You could say just the same about Celsius degrees...

Fahrenheit will simply never make as much sense (to me) for any purpose, especially not colloquial use, and for most Americans, it's the other way around.

Which is again why I suggested to use both. When stating temperatures in a forum like this, I always write both, like 45C/112F... is that really so hard?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Hey Sandbaggin

I only posted once (1X)

No idea why there are 3 posts; they only counted as one.
I noticed a lot of double/triple posts occuring the past day or so, I wonder if MacNN did an upgrade which it was supposed to be "transparent to the user" In my shop that's code for it will crash or cause lots of problems.

Mike

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

Back to the sub-topic again....

As Oisin said why cant we keep everyone happy and quote in centigrade AND fahrenheit?? I live in England so i have always used, and always will use C so be kind to us non-americans out there in the world and quote both! (if you dont wana work it out in your head heres a helping hand )

Shout if im wrong but isn't the US about the only country in the world still using F?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 10:57 AM

Ok, how about a compromise, thoes of you who want to use celcius, use that and those of you who want to use Farenheit use that. What ever floats you boat.

Mike

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:

Which is again why I suggested to use both. When stating temperatures in a forum like this, I always write both, like 45C/112F... is that really so hard?
Ideally the best solution.

But unfortunately we still have people who insist on posting the temps in F.

Decades in Celcius are impractical. 10 feels far more contrasting to 19 than 50 to 59. Using F for colloquial purposes is far more pleasant IMO since you are able to practically state the temperature as a semi-scientific feeling rather than a measurment.. ie "what a great summer day, it's in the high 80's" rather than "the approximate temperature today is 22.4 C!" *snort* *snort*

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:57 AM

My G5 is running at 127.6 F right now.

Not a PB, I know.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2004, 12:25 PM

Decades in Celcius are impractical. 10 feels far more contrasting to 19 than 50 to 59.
If I understand you correctly, you feel a "decade" becomes "smaller" if the numbers are higher, right? So that for instance the difference between 10 and 20 is much bigger than the difference between 4860 and 4870? Or because 10 degrees (ie. steps) in Celsius is the equivalent of 18 in Fahrenheit?

I suppose that's a point... although I've never really thought about it like that...

Using F for colloquial purposes is far more pleasant IMO since you are able to practically state the temperature as a semi-scientific feeling rather than a measurment.. ie "what a great summer day, it's in the high 80's" rather than "the approximate temperature today is 22.4 C!" *snort* *snort*
Yeah, like anyone would ever speak like that, even in Celsius! (Okay, I take that back, an old classmate of mine would actually speak exactly like that!)

Well, if the temperature was 22.4C, I guess I would say "what a great summer day, must be about 22-23 degrees"... but I would obviously not be saying that in English, since English is horribly impractical for approximating numbers (ie. for "22-23" you'd have to say "twenty-two or twenty-three")... which is why I still claim it's not the fault of the temperature scale, but the language (since "the low 80's" only seems to work in English)

Besides... it says you're from Cyprus - what kind of Cypriotic are you that calls 22.4C a "great summer day"???

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 04:10 PM

well for the record, my 17" 1.33 is being used all day today and it's not reached over 113.5F with 10.3.3 installed.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 04:19 PM

Actually, Celcius is based on a fairly arbitrary standard as well. It is water at sea level! Anybody here live right at sea level? And sea level changes as well, hourly even. And the average sea level is affected by glacial melt and other factors. And even in metric, sea level is a fairly bizarre number from the center of the earth. And because of climate changes, the height and therefore pressure of the atmosphere changes. And there are more variables - all of which I assume are defined at some arbitrary standard in the metric temperature "standard".

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 05:14 PM

I have a 17" PB (rev.b?) and upgraded to 10.3.3 earlier this week. So far, I haven't noticed any difference. Under normal load I average 50C(or 122F or 323.2K, if you prefer).

Group51
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 06:31 PM

I've noticed that my PB 12 1GHz is much hotter since 10.3.3. But I only got the temperate guage since it got hot.

I'm doing a download and running iTunes.

46.5�C/116.2F (for our American friends).

Doing anything strenuous - iTunes visuals, games, VPC, sends the temp up into the high '50�Cs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules