Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > Imac commercials

Imac commercials
Kris
Aug 20, 2000, 10:55 PM

I love the new Imac colors commercials. Does anyone know the names of the songs from the snow and ruby Imacs?

ilovelime
Aug 21, 2000, 03:15 AM

The ruby iMac has the song "Ruby Ruby", that is what it is called as far as I know. Can't help you with the other, sorry.

I love all the new commercials, awesome!

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2000, 04:47 AM

Ruby commercial: "Ruby Baby" by Dion

Snow commercial: "White Room" by Cream

Taloston Prez
Aug 21, 2000, 08:53 AM

The use of the Cream song frightens and disturbs me as last year my final project for a computer design and graphic art course was a CD demonstrating how excellent Macs were. I decided it would be best to use a song in the background to show how mental you can get using a Wintel box, so the song I used was none other than White Room by Cream....

And does anyone else find it interesting that Apple will have a G4 at the same time as Intel has a P4?

What about that Ruby is also a colour in Compaq's new colour scheme for their laptops...

Trevor Haldenby www.vividimagination.com

Misha
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2000, 12:11 PM

G4, P4...

Quite frankly I look forward to Steve's keynote at SF. I really wonder what tricks he will put out of his hat.

"Really, a 500 MHz G4 is faster than a 1500 MHz P4. Why, look at how much further I can throw the lightweight G4..."

Rog
Sep 3, 2000, 02:54 PM

I think they're discusting, shamefull, unforgivable! to sully our associations of such songs -- including, White Room and Blue Suede Shoes(Elvis)for the Indigo (or what ever it's called).
But this goes for all commercials using old pop songs as their products jingle. But in this age of seuto-creativity (sampling passing as musical art, etc) I guess it's par for the course. Nothing new to say and no talent so lets commondere (and cheapen) the classics instead.

Originally posted by Kris:
I love the new Imac colors commercials. Does anyone know the names of the songs from the snow and ruby Imacs?

RWoelk
Senior User
Sep 3, 2000, 10:21 PM

Well, if one samples much of the crap that passes as music these days, it's quite understandable. Hip hop just ain't going to work here. Personally, I think Apple is right on target with it's ad campaigns.

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

[This message has been edited by RWoelk (edited 09-03-2000).]

Jomomma
Sep 7, 2000, 07:44 PM

Yep, Apple has done something right with its ad campaigns. Those tunes are quite catchy!

Fer
Sep 19, 2000, 09:01 PM

Catchy, yes.

While on hold for oh about 40 hours dealing with a "situation", I was so sick of "Ruby Ruby". It sounds oh so hipper than though and worse, it's the kind of tune that runs in your mind when YOU DON'T WANT IT TO!

(PhD Dissertation: Why do songs we're not crazy about, ie., dumb jingles run thru our mind relentlessly, when we don't want it it? A MAJOR cognitive question!)...

PS My girlfriend says the "Ruby" song is an old one, a classic. From when? Hipster cowboys in the late 50's?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2000, 04:38 AM

"Ruby Baby" was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller in the '50s. It was first recorded by the Drifters in 1956, but Dion (of "The Wanderer" and "Runaround Sue" fame) had a bigger hit with it in 1963. "Ruby Baby" was later covered by Billy "Crash" Craddock in 1975 and by Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan fame) on his "The Nightfly" album in 1982.

Forum Links
Forum Rules