Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.2 Finder is eating up CPU

OS X 10.2 Finder is eating up CPU
supernature
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2002, 02:42 AM

Jaguar is great. Best thing I've seen is smoother and faster scrolling. But one thing that really bugs me is that when the computer is sitting idle, the Finder is taking up 95% of my CPU.

At this rate, my CPU will fry from just having my computer on.

Hope that's a bug they fixed in later builds.

Noopie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2002, 02:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> ...the Finder is taking up 95% of my CPU.[/qb]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I was wondering which build you were using. Also, what is the current build available to developers. Thanks.

<small>[ 06-18-2002, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Noopie ]</small>

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jun 18, 2002, 03:57 AM

What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2002, 04:01 AM

I don't think the 10.2 build I have (WWDC) ate up 95% of the CPU. At any rate, the system was extremely responsive, so if it was eating up 95%, then it was doing it in a very well-mannered way.

However, it's pretty silly to worry about this now, since obviously whatever build you're using isn't the final release.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2002, 04:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">What is the world coming to when self-proclaimed art critics will rip into an early sketch for lack of finish.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2002, 04:41 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by supernature:
<strong>Hope that's a bug they fixed in later builds.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Nope, it's a feature. Don't you remember SJ talking about it in the Keynote?
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jun 18, 2002, 05:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">What is the world coming to when self-proclaimed art critics will rip into an early sketch for lack of finish.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Early sketch? You mean we're still years away from 10.2? Damn.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 07:09 AM

95%????? I expect my Mac to be giving 110% all the time.

-- Jason
-- Jason

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 07:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That is a feature they put in for you KH, so you have something to complain about and attract attention to yourself.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2002, 07:39 AM

Yet another discussion down the drain thanks to our resident troll, and those who feed him.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 18, 2002, 07:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mithras:
<strong>Yet another discussion down the drain thanks to our resident troll, and those who feed him.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">and lines like that give him a buzz, make him laugh and carry on coming back for more. you should've realised that a very long time ago...

as for the topic, can you really imagine them shipping an OS that takes up 95% of the CPU when sitting idle? doesn't make very good business sense to me, when you're trying to gain new users all the time. as someone else in this thread said: it's unfinished work.

you're not even supposed to have it, so don't moan about it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2002, 09:41 AM

Sounds like a memory leak in the finder... Is it using 95% from the second you start up the computer? I'm not a betting man, but I would guess that it won't make it into the final release...

10.2 is betaware... and memory leaks happen. 9.1 had a little one for the longest time. there are so many features being added 10.2 that I'll be amazed if we don't get the $50-$100 upgrade tax. Then the real trolls will be out in full force... like me ;-)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2002, 09:52 AM

I had a similar experience using the WWDC developers' preview - In one session I had the finder consuming ~80% of CPU. Only saw it once.

I should imagine that it was something that will be fixed by final release.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 10:05 AM

Unless the computer is in sleep mode, something will be using 100% of the CPU. Just check out the "System Idle Process" under Windows NT/2K - it usually sits at about 90% of the CPU when the system is relatively lifeless. If Finder is using all spare cycles that sounds more like efficiency than a problem - especially if there is no disk trashing or other obvious signs of a poorly behaved process. The problem isn't how many cycles an app uses when no one else cares, the problem is how many cycles they use when other processes are starving. And, as you mentioned, if it isn't trashing memory or your disk then it is probably harmless.

BTW, I don't think memory leaks would cause this behavior. If it did have a leak and it was that serious, the VM would be thrashing like crazy and the system would become unusable eventually.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2002, 10:16 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by supernature:
<strong>Jaguar is great. Best thing I've seen is smoother and faster scrolling. But one thing that really bugs me is that when the computer is sitting idle, the Finder is taking up 95% of my CPU.

At this rate, my CPU will fry from just having my computer on.

Hope that's a bug they fixed in later builds.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well, I would say that if you have a legit copy, you should be complaining to Apple, not us. Also, if you were complaining to us and not to Apple, it clearly would NOT be fixed, as Apple may know absolutely nothing about it, and thus, you are hurting the future of OS X.

If you don't have a legit copy and you are complaining to us about it... well, I think I'll just stop.

What do you expect out of an alpha version? It has bugs. Lots of them. Deal with it. Run 10.1.5.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 11:17 AM

Nobody's CPU ever fried from running at 95% 24/7 unless it was overclocked.

Its_me
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2002, 12:31 PM

<strong>What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">What do you expect....the world is governed by Fancy Physics.
It's Me! It's Me! It's Me!

macmike42
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 01:36 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by absmiths:
<strong>Unless the computer is in sleep mode, something will be using 100% of the CPU. Just check out the "System Idle Process" under Windows NT/2K - it usually sits at about 90% of the CPU when the system is relatively lifeless. If Finder is using all spare cycles that sounds more like efficiency than a problem - especially if there is no disk trashing or other obvious signs of a poorly behaved process. The problem isn't how many cycles an app uses when no one else cares, the problem is how many cycles they use when other processes are starving. And, as you mentioned, if it isn't trashing memory or your disk then it is probably harmless.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Not sure about Windows (although I imagine it is the same), but on OS X, the is an "idle_thread" that looks like it is "using" any available CPU power. I can verify, with the help of 6 QuickTime movies and an electronic thermometer, that this is not the case. When the idle_thread is at 90%, your CPU is only 10% in use.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>BTW, I don't think memory leaks would cause this behavior. If it did have a leak and it was that serious, the VM would be thrashing like crazy and the system would become unusable eventually.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This correct. If your system was leaking memory fast enough to cause your CPU to hit 95%, your hard drive would be at 100%. Your system would most likely become unusable immediately.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2002, 03:34 PM

Well, I just hope it's not a feature. The CPU load obviously adjusts itself when other apps are running, etc. If it's a bug, i guess they'll fix it. If it's supposed to be like that, then I'm not so sure it's a great idea. Overall, things multitasked well, but I noticed a considerable slow down in IE 5.2.

Oh, and not to mention that IE 5.2 using the carbon Quartz engine has some serious bugs. OmniWeb ran fine, but IE 5.2 left a lot of garbage in the window when I was scrolling up and down.

Don't know if the build I was using had Quartz extreme, but I sure didn't feel it when resizing windows. Although I did feel it when scrolling.

BTW, iChat was interesting...

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 04:48 PM

<strong>What is the world coming to when a file manager can eat up all the power of a 'supercomputer' that was almost banned from being exported to Iraq.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I guess the term "pre-release software" is a part of those Fancy Physics that KH doesn't believe in.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2002, 05:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
<strong>I guess the term "pre-release software" is a part of those Fancy Physics that KH doesn't believe in.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hehehe

I'm surprised that KH isn't aware of this, but the black helicopters that fly over his house can and do mess with his computer. It's a fact. I read it on some web page once.

And here he's been blaming Apple for all his problems!
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2002, 05:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<strong>Nobody's CPU ever fried from running at 95% 24/7 unless it was overclocked.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Is that really true? When I run iTunes visualizer or some screensavers or games or anything that keeps my CPU pinned, my computer gets REALLY hot and the fan gets REALLY loud and I feel like I should knock it off or I'm going to fry the sucker. I especially worry about my roommate's iMac that doesn't even have a fan. Is there really no danger from extended CPU burn?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2002, 06:55 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<strong>Nobody's CPU ever fried from running at 95% 24/7 unless it was overclocked.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Is that really true? When I run iTunes visualizer or some screensavers or games or anything that keeps my CPU pinned, my computer gets REALLY hot and the fan gets REALLY loud and I feel like I should knock it off or I'm going to fry the sucker. I especially worry about my roommate's iMac that doesn't even have a fan. Is there really no danger from extended CPU burn?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">As long as the room the computer in is not too hot (like 100+) and your not overclocked you have nothing to worry about. Totally normal.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2002, 12:55 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<strong>Nobody's CPU ever fried from running at 95% 24/7 unless it was overclocked.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Is that really true? When I run iTunes visualizer or some screensavers or games or anything that keeps my CPU pinned, my computer gets REALLY hot and the fan gets REALLY loud and I feel like I should knock it off or I'm going to fry the sucker. I especially worry about my roommate's iMac that doesn't even have a fan. Is there really no danger from extended CPU burn?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If there were a danger, they wouldn't be shipped like that. They would have bigger fans, bigger heat sinks, etc... It's normal. My Voodoo3 doing nothing will scald skin to the touch. That's why it has a heat sink.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2002, 08:30 PM

Strange... I rebooted into Jaguar, and the Finder usage of the CPU is fine. I'm not getting that 95% usage anymore. It must have been a bug or something that caused the finder to use a lot of resource. Strange. Again strange... Finder quit unexpectedly and rebooted and now the dock shows it's not running at all when it is... Guess it'll be fixed. All the while iTunes kept playing fine. Guess that's a good sign.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2002, 10:26 PM

I had a problem in 10.1.4 where every *other* reboot would cause the kernel_tasker to use all CPU. A reboot would fix it. I don't see this problem anymore.

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2002, 03:37 AM

First of all, it's a beta, so don't expect anything from it. It's more or less a technology preview.

From what I have seen (Jaguar Server), it's speedy. I am anxiously awaiting the final release.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules