Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Impression backup software

Impression backup software
turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 03:47 AM

Has anybody tried the Impression backup program (http://babelcompany.com/impression/)? How well does it work (if at all)? Any comments would be appreciated! TIA!

turboSPE

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Has anybody tried the Impression backup program (http://babelcompany.com/impression/)? How well does it work (if at all)? Any comments would be appreciated! TIA!

turboSPE
Since nobody replied, I tried backing up my system this weekend, and it worked great! Definitely worth checking out if you have a SuperDrive and don't want to spend the money on an external drive to back up to.

turboSPE

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Since nobody replied, I tried backing up my system this weekend, and it worked great! Definitely worth checking out if you have a SuperDrive and don't want to spend the money on an external drive to back up to.

turboSPE
Bought it last week, and made several backups over the weekend (10 CDs).
Works great, very easy to use... uses a lot of CPU, though, probably computing MD5.

No need to use the Finder for burning to CDs / DVDs was the selling point for me.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

Can you browse disks in the finder once backed up with this app? I currently use Retrospect Express, but when you insert a disk with backup files on it, the finder does not recognise it- and asks if you want to initialize it. The only way to pull files from the disk is through a "find" dialog... not to handy if you are looking for a file a year or so old, and cant remember what it is called...

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 02:02 PM

are there any disadvantages to just using CarbonCopyCloner? I just got a 160GB HD this weekend so I can start doing nightly backups. I looked into a bunch of back up apps and CarbonCopyCloner seemed to be the best (and it is free).

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
are there any disadvantages to just using CarbonCopyCloner? I just got a 160GB HD this weekend so I can start doing nightly backups. I looked into a bunch of back up apps and CarbonCopyCloner seemed to be the best (and it is free).
It depends. Since I didn't have a large enough external hard drive to which I could back up, I had to use removable optical media. So, I spent $15 at the Apple store down here and got some blank DVDs. As I understand from the CCC web page, you can't directly burn from the application, nor will it divide the files up to facilitate doing so. Impression, on the other hand, lets you select the directories you want to back up, then divides them among the disc(s) you have (you choose your own disc size). I would highly recommend the program to anyone.

turboSPE

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by chris.p:
Can you browse disks in the finder once backed up with this app?
You can choose to backup into hfspax archives, which you have to search using the software, and from which you presently can't restore single files I think, or you can backup to Finder files, which then gives you perfectly normal discs mounting in the finder.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules