Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "The destination mailbox does not exist."

"The destination mailbox does not exist."
turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:22 AM

Hey everyone. I'm trying to move some mail from my old inbox to my new Panther inbox in Mail, but every time I move a message, the above dialog box comes up. I've searched both MacNN and Apple Support with no luck and also repaired permissions, etc. Can anybody tell me what's going on? Thanks!

turboSPE

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:46 AM

Hey,

I had this problem too and it was driving me nuts.

At first I had opened Mail without creating any account though, or really entering dummy information, I don't know if this messes anything up.

Now I can't remember exactly what I did to fix this but essentially each account has its own inbox and there is no central Mail inbox--just if you click on "In" it combines all your accounts inboxes. Therefore a central Inbox doesn't exist and if you just drop it on to "In" it has no idea of which account its supposed to be added too. The way I solved this was by clicking the disclosure triangle beside "In" and then dropping it directly into one of my five accounts inbox.

If your only using one account and this isn't working, its probably a bug in Mail. I'd create a second fake account (so you can get the disclosure triangle) drag all your Mail in to the inbox you want, and then delete the original inbox.

I believe this is how I fixed my issue, so sorry I can't remember more (or even if this was how!!). It is kind of cool how you can open up the .mbox files in mail though.

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 06:17 AM

Thanks for your reply! I tried that, and it didn't work. Any other ideas? Anyone?

turboSPE

Originally posted by tRr:
Hey,

I had this problem too and it was driving me nuts.

At first I had opened Mail without creating any account though, or really entering dummy information, I don't know if this messes anything up.

Now I can't remember exactly what I did to fix this but essentially each account has its own inbox and there is no central Mail inbox--just if you click on "In" it combines all your accounts inboxes. Therefore a central Inbox doesn't exist and if you just drop it on to "In" it has no idea of which account its supposed to be added too. The way I solved this was by clicking the disclosure triangle beside "In" and then dropping it directly into one of my five accounts inbox.

If your only using one account and this isn't working, its probably a bug in Mail. I'd create a second fake account (so you can get the disclosure triangle) drag all your Mail in to the inbox you want, and then delete the original inbox.

I believe this is how I fixed my issue, so sorry I can't remember more (or even if this was how!!). It is kind of cool how you can open up the .mbox files in mail though.

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 09:37 PM

Anybody?

turboSPE

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Thanks for your reply! I tried that, and it didn't work. Any other ideas? Anyone?

turboSPE

zizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 10:37 PM

Yes there is a bug in mail app (Panther).

Here is how to reproduce the bug:

- set up mail.app with a single account
so that you get an inbox icon without any disclosure triangle. It is really associated with a single e-mail account.

- import a mail box from another application so that you have a Import Folder/SomeMailBox folder.

- try to drag a message from the imported mailbox to the monolithic inbox. You will get an error "The destination mailbox does not exist".

The workaround:
- create a second dummy account so that the Inbox icon (the tray thing) shows two sub-inboxes, one real and one dummy.
Now you can drag imported messages from an import mailbox to the sub-inbox coresponding to the real account.

- Note: if you delete the dummy account the bug will be back. Leave the dummy account inbox in place if you plan to do more imports.

Seems like a pretty fundamental use case! What a bug!

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:56 AM

i hate this bug.
what an annoying piece of dung. didn't they even BOTHER testing with a user who wanted to keep their stuff from jaguar? seriously! so many bugs that are BASIC things coming out of UPGRADING THEIR OWN OS ON THEIR OWN COMPUTERS. nothing hi-tech or tricky or modified, just basic os upgrades!

ok.
now that i'm calmer, i'll chill. i do love panther in a million ways, but in so many it's like no one ever tried basic things that any user is going to try to do if they've been using jaguar for a year.

woosh.
poocat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules