Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Parent Help

Parent Help
turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 02:54 AM

Recently, I've found out that my mother has been calling quite a few of my friends to find out what I do in my spare time (as well as other lifestyle decisions). Granted, she's suspected that I've been smoking (which is true), but that's pretty much all I've ever done. I'm still in college, but I'm 22 for Pete's sake. Should I confront her? What should I tell her? Please help!

turboSPE

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:02 AM

I think you should just sit down with her and ask what her deal is. Tell her what she needs to know. I really don't know what else to do. But yeah, it's better to confront it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 05:58 AM

Confront her? How about just talking to her? Tell her how your life is. She must be interested.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Confront her? How about just talking to her? Tell her how your life is. She must be interested.
Yup.

No reason to hide stuff from your parents. I did that for several years and it isn't a good idea. Much better to tell the truth. Just remember that even if it irritates you or they get angry over some decisions you make, they only react that way because they love their child. And no matter how old you get, you will always be their child and they will worry about you no matter what. Therefor it is best to just talk to your parents and let them know about your life.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 07:53 AM

You're a guy, I'm guessing. Sons often talk less than daughters about their lives and what they're thinking. So as Erik said, don't confront her, go for a walk or drive with her and just talk to her about what's up in your life. She'll be so pleased. And I think you will to.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Recently, I've found out that my mother has been calling quite a few of my friends to find out what I do in my spare time (as well as other lifestyle decisions). Granted, she's suspected that I've been smoking (which is true), but that's pretty much all I've ever done. I'm still in college, but I'm 22 for Pete's sake. Should I confront her? What should I tell her? Please help!

turboSPE
Do they pay your bills?

What I did was come out of the closet at my sisters wedding? I'm not gay but it shut the thumpers up. They totally forgot about the booze and weed after we tossed butt sex into the mix. Funny thing is my family (white trash rednecks) thinks multiple girls getting it on is hot but when guys do the same it destroys thier marriage.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
Do they pay your bills?

What I did was come out of the closet at my sisters wedding? I'm not gay but it shut the thumpers up. They totally forgot about the booze and weed after we tossed butt sex into the mix. Funny thing is my family (white trash rednecks) thinks multiple girls getting it on is hot but when guys do the same it destroys thier marriage.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 08:14 AM

Just do what I do and not talk to them... Wait, it is them who dont talk to me.

Anyways, if you get along with them, just talk to her. Tell her what you do and see what her expression is. Do you live at home with them?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:15 AM

Do they pay your bills?

Hah, that's one way to do it.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 11:57 AM

Now that must have been an interesting scene... the whole family attempting to avoid imploding...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2004, 02:55 AM

Do they pay your bills?

Voyageur: I am a guy. I do call them once per week to give them updates. Of course, I leave out the details that would bother them (and they probably know it anyway): I drink occasionally and smoke. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

chalk: They don't pay my bills (other than my tuition), but occasionally, they'll send some love in the mail--but defnitely not an amount that would make a significant dent in my monthly cash outflow.

Thanks for all the responses!

turboSPE

Forum Links
Forum Rules