Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OT: GSM question

OT: GSM question
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 10:40 PM

I do a bit of traveling between Europe and the US, I mainly spend summers in the US so naturally I need to be able to make phone-calls in America for a period of several months. I decided recently to go ahead and get a contract with Cingular since I make so many calls in the US, and I bought a GSM Moto V3.

The Cingular salesman said that the phones are locked to the provider, which sounded fishy, so I decided to swap round SIM cards between my US V3 and my UK V600.

My Cingular SIM card works in my V600 which I bought from O2 (via carphone warehouse)...

Now that can get quite confusing so I will hurry up and get to the question:

Can I use my Cingular SIM card with any other GSM phones that I buy in Europe or Asia? I'd like to know this because I don't like the V3 very much and I want to replace it quickly with a better phone, but we all know how limited the selection is in America.

If anyone actually understood what I was rambling on about, could you please provide some insight? Thanks

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I do a bit of traveling between Europe and the US, I mainly spend summers in the US so naturally I need to be able to make phone-calls in America for a period of several months. I decided recently to go ahead and get a contract with Cingular since I make so many calls in the US, and I bought a GSM Moto V3.

The Cingular salesman said that the phones are locked to the provider, which sounded fishy, so I decided to swap round SIM cards between my US V3 and my UK V600.

My Cingular SIM card works in my V600 which I bought from O2 (via carphone warehouse)...

Now that can get quite confusing so I will hurry up and get to the question:

Can I use my Cingular SIM card with any other GSM phones that I buy in Europe or Asia? I'd like to know this because I don't like the V3 very much and I want to replace it quickly with a better phone, but we all know how limited the selection is in America.

If anyone actually understood what I was rambling on about, could you please provide some insight? Thanks
As long as the phone supports the 850 MHz band (Cingular's main frequency here in the US)along with the European frequencies, you'll be fine. I have a Sony/Ericsson T616 that works great here and worked even better on my foray to London this fall. The phones that Cingular markets as "World Phone" or "Quad-Band" are not locked (at least they used to not be) and can be used overseas. Your best bet would be to get one of these "world phones" from Cingular so you'll be almost guaranteed coverage here and there.

turboSPE

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 15, 2005, 10:59 PM

If you're buying from Europe, it may be problematic. Cingular loves the 850 band it seems, but the 850 band is not used anywhere in Europe. Thus 99.9% of phones there don't support the 850 band.

If your V3 is unlocked, it would be the perfect phone for you, since it supports Cingular's 850, as well as 900/1800/1900. If it isn't already unlocked, you could get someone to unlock it for you for a small fee.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 11:16 PM

Eug: so the reason my European V600 works with Cingular is because Motorolla phones tend to work 850? Would I have such luck finding a Sony Ericsson which supports 850?

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 11:24 PM

Many of the US versions of both phone brands you mentioned work worldwide.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 02:42 AM

Just get a quad-band phone if you're a traveler that uses Cingular in the US, or a tri-band phone if you use T-Mobile. here is a page that talks about the different frequencies and where they are used.

Forum Links
Forum Rules