Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Europe for the First Time

Going to Europe for the First Time
turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 08:16 PM

So my roommate and I decided to go to London in October. This will be both of our first times in that part of the world and I had some questions:

1. What can we expect the weather to be like in London/Paris that time of year?
2. Would Euros be better/worse than local currency?
3. What should we expect in terms of culture/people? Obviously the French aren't real big fans of Americans, but we both speak fluent French and could get around on our own if need be.
4. Any other tips?

Thanks all!

turboSPE

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 08:24 PM

get this, if you are carrying your powerbook/ibook

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
[img][/img]

get this, if you are carrying your powerbook/ibook
We won't be taking any technology (aside from my cell phone and digital camera) with us, so that's not a problem.

turboSPE

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 12:25 AM

Take lots of cash - you'll need it.
Don't wear white tennis shoes if you want to blend in.
If you buy drugs, don't try to take them across a border. (I don't do drugs so this will never be a problem for me)
Take an empty suitcase.
Don't act like the sterotypical arrogant, ignorant American.
No matter how poor your foreign language skills or your level of embarrassment, always try to speak in the native tounge. It works wonders with the natives.
If you rent a car, don't forget to check if you'll be driving on a toll highway. (France, anyone?)
Don't wimp out and eat at McDonalds, Burger King, or Taco Bell. Eat the local stuff - no matter how bad it is.
Have fun and take lots of photos!

There, that's a start.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 12:34 AM

Most places in London accept VISA, MasterCard, and AmEx. If you bank with Citibank like I do, then you will find lots of branches from which to withdraw cash as you need it.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
(I don't do drugs so this will never be a problem for me)
CONGRATULATIONS! you win for most irrelevant personal detail inserted into a thread.

you're my hero!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 12:44 AM

oh, and bring a rain coat and a canadian flag patch to put on your pack if your pack if you go to the rest of europe, as you will find the reception much warmer if they think youre canadian.

oh, and save me the speech on how im not patriotic. dcolon still owes me money to relocate out of this country.

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
So my roommate and I decided to go to London in October. This will be both of our first times in that part of the world and I had some questions:

3. What should we expect in terms of culture/people? Obviously the French aren't real big fans of Americans, but we both speak fluent French and could get around on our own if need be.
4. Any other tips?

Thanks all!

turboSPE
I just got back from 47 days of backpacking through Europe.

1. don't know...except rainy in london. it always is.
2. Euros. even if you try payin in local currency they'll give you change in euros. Also, you have no choice in England, they're not part of the E.U.
3. Just do your best to always be curtious. That's all you can do and all they can expect. It doesn't hurt to learn the basics of the language either. It'll go a long way in Paris to say please/thank you/hello/goodbye in French.
4. Even if you really get along welll with your roomate, I can't stress enough how great it is to take a pcoket map and head out on your own to walk to city. I left my friend and walked the London and Paris end to end by myself. Both days were incredible experiences and highlights of my trip.

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
oh, and bring a rain coat and a canadian flag patch to put on your pack if your pack if you go to the rest of europe, as you will find the reception much warmer if they think youre canadian.

oh, and save me the speech on how im not patriotic. dcolon still owes me money to relocate out of this country.
Put the Canadian flag on your bag if you like, though I don't recommend it.
Firstly, we're not idiots and we know that goes on. So youd better have a good Canadian backstory.
Secondly, a nice guy from Virginia found a hole in their bag where there once was a Canadian flag. Holes in your bag while travelling suck.

But really, you're going to London and Paris. Parisians don't like anyone so it won't matter what's on your bag, and Londoners could care less as far as I can tell.
Just be a good person.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 03:47 AM

Forgot to add that you should carry some change with you at all times. Many public toilets require payment in advance. You never know whether you'll have time to ask for change.

Originally posted by D4...:
CONGRATULATIONS! you win for most irrelevant personal detail inserted into a thread.
Thanks! Coming from you that is indeed a complement.

By the way, I hope your move out of the country comes through.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
2. Euros. even if you try payin in local currency they'll give you change in euros. Also, you have no choice in England, they're not part of the E.U.
Yes, they are (founding member)!
They just don't have the Euro!

What do you guys mean with "Euro better than local currency"?
If you are in Paris/France the local currency is Euro, if you are in London/England it's Pound... (they won't accept $ in the grocery store!)

...and don't bring any flags - Europeans don't like nationalists...ahh well, except the Scandinavians, they put flags everywhere, even on their food...

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 05:06 AM

1. It will rain, every day. The sky will be dark grey, every day.
OK maybe not every day but for the most part you'll need an umbrella.
2. I dunno why people are telling you that you need Euros in England cos you don't. They're hanging on to them pounds.

If you're the crazy type, make sure you visit SoHo at night. All the freaks come out at that time.

entrox
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 05:14 AM

October, eh? Try to visit Munich then and eat lots of Sauerkraut with Bratwurst while wearing Lederhosen. All the Bavarians do.

On a more serious note, the Euro is the only currency in most of "core" Europe (e.g. Belgium, Germany, Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal and Finland). If you plan to go there, you'll have no other choice. And as long as you don't go around waving confederate flags while screaming "Yeehaaw!" and demanding "Freedom Fries" instead of "French Fries" you should be fine

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 05:44 AM

The weather is pretty unpredictable in Paris in October. Last year we had some really warm, sunny days. This year we haven't really had a big summer, so who knows. Bring an umbrella. Agree on the tennis shoes!

As for the money debate, not sure what you mean by national currency? The Euro is the official currency of most of continental Europe. The Brits still stick to their Pounds. The Euro has made travelling in Europe SO much easier.

I don't ever get foreign currency in advance. I just go to an ATM and draw cash on my credit card. The rate is usually pretty honest that way. More honest than you're likely to get in an exchange and it means I don't carry tons of cash around. If you are going to bring cash, get travellers cheques. A friend of mine had 900 Pounds taken from her handbag at Waterloo station last weekend. Not fun!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 05:55 AM

Paris isn't a bad place as far as crowds, I found, The queues can build in London though. Make sure you book early if you'll do the Eye. Or get the tickets and see the saatchi gallery and come back the next day.
Also, I'd book online if you're looking to see something on the West End.
Great way to spend a week. Did it last year and loved it, even if Paris was in the middle of a strike by sanitation workers.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 06:48 AM

Don't wear checked shorts, especially with white socks and sandals or training shoes. In fact, don't wear shorts at all.

Visit Stonehenge. 'cos there's only two places in Britain, London and Stonehenge.

Not. If you want to get a real feel for Britain, get the hell out of London. London is a sh1t hole, and most brits - hell even most Londoners - agree. In any case, there are more foreigners in London than Brits.

Get yourself to Kings Cross, and take the first train to York. A fine city, and friendly people. Head out to the coast to Scarborough and Whitby. Head North to Hadrian's wall, say 'Hi' to Scotland, then go south down the other coast, stopping off at the Lake District. Take a right into North Wales for some impressive mountains and castles. Circle around Birmingham (making sure to keep a safe distance), and head into the Cotswolds. I'd recommend a detour into Cornwall at this point, but it seems to be underwater at the moment, so best to avoid.

Make sure - this is the most important thing - that you visit as many pubs as you can. Not the ones that all look the same like 'Yates's', but the ones you find in little villages. (Don't sit at a table and expect to be served though, stand at the bar).

And whatever you do don't use the trains unless you have to. But if you hire a car, it's likely to have one of those gear stick things, and we drive on the wrong side of the road. Oh, and whatever you do, don't use the roads, because the traffic is a nightmare.

So, um, probably best if you stay in London after all.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Don't wear checked shorts, especially with white socks and sandals or training shoes. In fact, don't wear shorts at all.

Visit Stonehenge. 'cos there's only two places in Britain, London and Stonehenge.

Not. If you want to get a real feel for Britain, get the hell out of London. London is a sh1t hole, and most brits - hell even most Londoners - agree. In any case, there are more foreigners in London than Brits.

Get yourself to Kings Cross, and take the first train to York. A fine city, and friendly people. Head out to the coast to Scarborough and Whitby. Head North to Hadrian's wall, say 'Hi' to Scotland, then go south down the other coast, stopping off at the Lake District. Take a right into North Wales for some impressive mountains and castles. Circle around Birmingham (making sure to keep a safe distance), and head into the Cotswolds. I'd recommend a detour into Cornwall at this point, but it seems to be underwater at the moment, so best to avoid.

Make sure - this is the most important thing - that you visit as many pubs as you can. Not the ones that all look the same like 'Yates's', but the ones you find in little villages. (Don't sit at a table and expect to be served though, stand at the bar).

And whatever you do don't use the trains unless you have to. But if you hire a car, it's likely to have one of those gear stick things, and we drive on the wrong side of the road. Oh, and whatever you do, don't use the roads, because the traffic is a nightmare.

So, um, probably best if you stay in London after all.

But London isn't all bad, especially if you're young. There's not much to see but there is plenty of entertainment.

The trains do indeed suck since they rarely operate on time, but they are probably the most easiest way of getting around central london. If I recall correctly, if you use a car you'll have to pay a congestion charge of �5 every time you go near there.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 07:14 AM

4. Any other tips?

Thanks all!

turboSPE
1. This has been covered by the locals. Rain.
2. Euros (�) are the local currency in the E.U. except in the U.K., Denmark, Sweden and perhaps some of the new E.U. members.
3. When I travel through France (esp. Paris) I see nothing but tourists from the U.S. and most of them the stereotypes (big, loud, fat, silly clothes etc etc kinda like a Chevy Chase movie) *but* I never got the feeling that the French didn't like them any less than usual. Don't worry about it, no-one in France holds a grudge against the U.S. While trendy in the U.S. to dis the French it isn't the other way around in France.
4. Advice? Don't give money to gypsy beggars, don't trust gypsies and in fact never talk to them.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Yes, they are (founding member)!
They just don't have the Euro!
Wrong. Britain didn't join the European Community (then the EEC, later the EC, later still the EU) until 1973. It's not by any means a founding member.

For TurboSPE:

All this advice telling you to pretend not to be what you are is stupid, imho. I have yet to see a European come to the US and pretend to be an American in order to blend in. There is no reason for them to do that when they travel, and no reason why you should have to either. Just be yourself, have fun, meet people, and let them meet you. That is what travel is all about: meeting people, not playing secret identity man.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
For TurboSPE:

All this advice telling you to pretend not to be what you are is stupid, imho. I have yet to see a European come to the US and pretend to be an American in order to blend in. There is no reason for them to do that when they travel, and no reason why you should have to either. Just be yourself, have fun, meet people, and let them meet you. That is what travel is all about: meeting people, not playing secret identity man.
^ He's right you know.

But I still think the white tennis shoes are a bad idea.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:08 AM

For TurboSPE:

Ignore the post above. It is commenting on other *good* advice and painting it bad. That is *bad* advice in my book.

Simey: Nice projecting there! I can tell you aren't a European (well no not really, I just know because you told everyone - being born in the UK ain't good enough). Everyone - including me - has basically told TurboSPE to be himself. Because that is good advice. Listening to you twist it is not. I've met my fair share of people from the U.S. in various countries in Europe - because I'm you know European - and only in Paris have I seen the 'National Lampoon's vacation' type. I've met and talked to and gotten to know people from Nebraska, California, Texas, Florida, NY and Idaho. All perfectly likable people and charming.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
^ He's right you know.

But I still think the white tennis shoes are a bad idea.
Not really, because try as I might I don't see any of this "advice telling you to pretend not to be what you are" in any post. Frankly I think Simey is just being obnoxious.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 08:17 AM

All this advice telling you to pretend not to be what you are is stupid, imho.
I agree with Simey on this one. No one is going to target you just because you aren't European. There is a security aspect to not appearing obviously to be a tourist, but security isn't a huge problem in Paris or London. Do what you like, wear what you like.

The only thing I will say is that in Paris and London, the dress code is more formal than it would be in most American cities. You won't get into any club wearing trainers in Paris. You also won't get into some of the museums and churches wearing a vest or a cap although you're unlikely to be dressed in that fashion in winter!

Just don't expect little America when you come here. London is closer to the States but still different. A lot of people really don't speak English in Paris, they aren't just trying to make your life difficult. Some things that you would consider normal are considered rude here and vice versa. For example, eating on the run here is frowned upon. If you eat in the metro, everyone will snidely wish you "Bon appetit" because it's considered rude. By the same token, jumping a queue is for the most part considered a skill rather than being rude. Come with an open mind. That's the most important thing. When I was exchange student as a kid, the mantra of the American Field Service was "It's not good, it's not bad, it's just different." I tell myself that every day!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
... only in Paris have I seen the 'National Lampoon's vacation' type.
Paris is the biggest tourist attraction in the world. It's the most visited city of them all, so you are more likely to see every stereotype here. We have the University of Syracuse staying in the hotel on the corner of our street and they exhibit far fewer of the traits one considers typically American, than the Italian students that were there at the beginning of summer!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:27 AM

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

That is good advice. The best advice.

That is not an advice to play undercover or changing yourself. It is the single best advice I can offer when traveling and dang it I've travelled quite a bit in my short life.

(I'm not commenting on the Italians, I'm far too biased against them I've only met a few and never really talked to them. The I know many U.S.Aricans on the other hand and feel quite capable of talking about them in a balanced manner)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
Paris is the biggest tourist attraction in the world. It's the most visited city of them all, so you are more likely to see every stereotype here. We have the University of Syracuse staying in the hotel on the corner of our street and they exhibit far fewer of the traits one considers typically American, than the Italian students that were there at the beginning of summer!
Paris is a sea of tourists. You speak truth.

I was amazed.

(just ignore the gypsies there like everywhere - they are buggars)

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 08:38 AM

Wrong. Britain didn't join the European Community (then the EEC, later the EC, later still the EU) until 1973. It's not by any means a founding member.
True, my mistake!
(note to myself: always check with google before posting historical "facts")

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:40 AM

I'm no world traveller, but here are my observations about an American visiting Europe:

- Wear clothes that are a little nicer than you would while travelling here. I wear jeans and sneakers every day, even at work, but wore comfortable slacks and shoes on my trips and did not feel out of place (until I opened my mouth, that is...)

- Never been to England or France, but if you leave the cities and go further afield, be warned that not every place you go to will have toilet paper. If that is a problem for you, you can buy little travel packages that can fit in your pocket. In fact, I have a bunch of packages (unopened, obviously) left over from our last trip to Italy, because my wife was overly enthusiastic in estimating our need for them. Maybe some of our European friends here can comment on whether you need to worry given where you are going?

- Make sure you keep change on you at all times. For some reason, many merchants are loathe to give out small change, and will try and get you to give them exact change, or enough small change to make the transaction easy, so they only have to give you back one or two coins. There have been times here in the states when I pay for something that costs $7.99 with a 10 and three ones, and they look at me like I can't do math, and I have to explain that I'd like a 5 (and a penny) back in change. In Europe this is common. I don't know why, perhaps it's hard for a merchant to get to a bank regularly for rolls of change over there?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

That is good advice. The best advice.
When in Rome do as the Romans do is good advice. That's the kind of advice Troll gave. But when in Rome pretend to be a Roman (or some other nationality) isn't good advice.

These stereotypes you have about Americans are your stereotypes. The problem is in your head. He doesn't have to live up to your stereotypes, or live down to them, or spend any amount of time worrying about your unreasonable stereotypes. The best thing he can do is to just be himself. That way he can travel with an open mind as he should, and perhaps open a few other minds as well.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
- Never been to England or France, but if you leave the cities and go further afield, be warned that not every place you go to will have toilet paper.
LOL! He'll find toilet paper in both London and Paris. I have even heard that in Britain they have phased out that totally non-absorbant wax-covered stuff they used to have.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:57 AM

LOL! He'll find toilet paper in both London and Paris. I have even heard that in Britain they have phased out that totally non-absorbant wax-covered stuff they used to have.
I know you can find toilet paper in the cities or in any really touristy area, although we found plenty of places in the heart of Rome that didn't have any. What about further out in the countryside? I've never been to either Britain or France so I simply don't know.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
I just got back from 47 days of backpacking through Europe.

1. don't know...except rainy in london. it always is.
1. London has a temperate maritime climate. There's no more rain in London than San Francisco and less than in Seattle. We had great summer days so far.

2. The UK has been a member of the EU since 1974.

3. In France the local currency IS the Euro. There is no other money.

4. Don't worry about being a Yank. We love you guys really.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
I know you can find toilet paper in the cities or in any really touristy area, although we found plenty of places in the heart of Rome that didn't have any. What about further out in the countryside? I've never been to either Britain or France so I simply don't know.
There would be no problem in Britain unless you get a public toilet that simply isn't maintained at all. The local word for such a thing is a "bog." I wouldn't recommend taking a dump in one of those under any circumstances. Think of the toilet scene in Trainspotting. But in Hotels, guesthouses, etc., he won't have a problem no matter where he is.

I doubt he would have a problem in France either, although I don't know that country as well as the UK.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 09:06 AM

When in Rome do as the Romans do is good advice. That's the kind of advice Troll gave. But when in Rome pretend to be a Roman (or some other nationality) isn't good advice.

These stereotypes you have about Americans are your stereotypes. The problem is in your head. He doesn't have to live up to your stereotypes, or live down to them, or spend any amount of time worrying about your unreasonable stereotypes. The best thing he can do is to just be himself. That way he can travel with an open mind as he should, and perhaps open a few other minds as well.
Yes, Troll did. As did I and everyone else. I don't know where you got the idea that people should try and pretend to be another nationality. They couldn't even if they tried. You could live for a decade in a country in Europe but you wouldn't pass as a native. Sorry. Just do as the locals do (which doesn't mean BECOME just like them ) and be polite.

The problem is in your head because no-one except YOU have a problem with this. Frankly the U.S. tourist stereotype clich� has come about because there is a certain truth to it. People like that exist, but are seemingly (and happily) rather rare. The rest of your post just echoes what everybody has been saying in this thread. Fine stuff but redundant, even though you try and make it sound like everyone in this thread has been offering some false or bad advice.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:

Nonsense. London rocks. Few places more interesting and lively on the planet. Great for music, great for art, great for clubbing, culture, life. It needs to be experienced.

London isn't cheap but it doesn't have to be expensive either. Most museums are free. Eat in local caffs and you'll be fed and watered (or tea-ed) for well under a fiver. If you like curry you can't possibly go wrong either. Check the lunchtime specials for seriosu value eating.

To get around buy a travel card and a map. Not a tourist map, get a 'A-Z of London' in any newsagent. It'll cost about a fiver and is indispensable for getting around, Take the bus. If you take the wrong bus, take another one. The conductors will help you out.

Enjoy the place.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
2. The UK has been a member of the EU since 1974.
It was 73. To be exact, 1 January, 1973. I checked.

For some reason I thought it was 1974 as well. What happened that year to make it stick in our minds? Is this some Ted Heath spell?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:14 AM

It was 73. To be exact, 1 January, 1973. I checked.

For some reason I thought it was 1974 as well. What happened that year to make it stick in our minds?
Sorry, I posted before seeing your post. You're right of course, although I could have sworn that it was 74. No idea why.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 09:18 AM

Sorry, I posted before seeing your post. You're right of course, although I could have sworn that it was 74. No idea why.
Me either. I was trying to see if there was something else "European" that started that year, but I can't find anything. Decimalization was in 1971, and Britain was already in the Eurovision Song Contest (since 1956!) and was playing It's a Knockout (jeux sans frontiers) - since 1966. I'm fresh out of ideas.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:42 AM

well, having grown up in the city with the most (american) tourists per square meter (next to paris), namely heidelberg germany, i can give you three solid pieces of advice:

1. don�t EVAR!!! wear white socks in sandals, flip flops or dress shoes. you might get shot on sight. (actually, this should be one of your priorities in life in general)
2. be friendly, and open minded, - and beyond that BE YOURSELF! if somebody doesn�t like americans, they won�t like you no matter how friendly or courteous you are. otho, if you are a �cool�, well mannered and funny person NOBODY who is worth meeting will frown on you because you do some things the american way.
3. try to speak the language. BUT! don�t try too hard. people will laugh at you. (in germany, and obviously england) everybody speaks english. be friendly, up-beat, don�t have an attitude and nobody will frown on you for speaking english.

oh, and don�t mention the war!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
1. don�t EVAR!!! wear white socks in sandals, flip flops or dress shoes. you might get shot on sight. (actually, this should be one of your priorities in life in general)

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 09:50 AM

...if you are pro-war...because chances are rather low that you met someone with the same attitude...(this includes England)

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 09:59 AM

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.

(sound of sobbing heard in the background).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
...if you are pro-war...because chances are rather low that you met someone with the same attitude...(this includes England)
Sorry, but you didn't get the joke. Which can't really be expected of you, not being from the UK.

'Don't mention the war' is an English thing. Mostly uttered when somebody is about to talk/meet/socialise with Germans. Immortalised, maybe even invented (?), by 'Faulty Towers' and John Cleese.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 10:47 AM

Sorry, but you didn't get the joke. Which can't really be expected of you, not being from the UK.
Ohh, you're right, didn't know about this one (Faulty Towers was always dubbed...) but are you sure PhoenixBoy posted it as this joke? He's not from England either...

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
October, eh? Try to visit Munich then and eat lots of Sauerkraut with Bratwurst while wearing Lederhosen. All the Bavarians do.

On a more serious note, the Euro is the only currency in most of "core" Europe (e.g. Belgium, Germany, Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal and Finland). If you plan to go there, you'll have no other choice. And as long as you don't go around waving confederate flags while screaming "Yeehaaw!" and demanding "Freedom Fries" instead of "French Fries" you should be fine
Unfortunately, we've only got about 3 or 4 days on the ground so Munich is out. Maybe next year Thanks for all the help everyone!

turboSPE

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2004, 12:15 PM

You'll need to plan your trip pretty well. That's not much time to see London and Paris.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 12:36 PM

You have had various bits of advice in this thread. My views:

1. The October average in London is 12C (54F) which is marginally cooler than New York City. It does not rain in London as much as its reputation would suggest. It has about half the annual rainfall as New York City for example. Also, the whole fog thing is a myth.

2. We use pounds in the UK and the French use euros, in common with most of the European Union countries. I would bring about $100 in each currency to cover your first taxi or train fare and then just get the rest from ATMs which are as ubiquitous in the UK as in the US.

3. You might find that it's all rather less different than you expect. As with anywhere in the world, people will take you as they find you and will not (as a rule) judge you on the basis of your country's government. Getting around the city, checking into hotels etc is the same in most parts of the West. It's the little things (like trying to order a sandwich) which are more difficult and amusing.

4. If your phone is Tri-band it will work in Londond and Paris. Go on the London Eye - book tickets in advance on the web. There is no toilet paper crisis in the UK. There are lots of WiFi hotspots if you do bring your laptop. Try and get tickets to a football game if you are interested in sport. Have a great time.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by philm:

2. We use pounds in the UK and the French use euros, in common with most of the European Union countries. I would bring about $100 in each currency to cover your first taxi or train fare and then just get the rest from ATMs which are as ubiquitous in the UK as in the US.
Using ATM's for cash worked out great for me, and I think I got a better exchange rate that way. I've read that you need a 4-digit PIN number in order for your US ATM card to work in a European ATM, and if your pin is 5 or 6 digit, you may be out of luck. Also, many ATM's have limits for international withdrawls, so plan ahead if you intend to make any big cash purchases (like settling a hotel bill in cash).

And it's good to know that there's no toilet paper crisis in the UK.

entrox
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 01:31 PM

... (in germany, and obviously england) everybody speaks english ...
Oh boy... the mere thought of an indigenous Swabian or Bavarian trying to communicate in understandable English (or even German) is absolutely hilarious.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
Oh boy... the mere thought of an indigenous Swabian or Bavarian trying to communicate in understandable English (or even German) is absolutely hilarious.
okay, okay. everybody under 40. fair enough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules