Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why won't my powerbook sleep?

Why won't my powerbook sleep?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 02:24 PM

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my Tibook. If I tell it to sleep it goes with no problem, but if I leave it running on battery power, it won't sleep.

In energy saver I have the battery preferences set to sleep after 5 mins, dim the screen after 5 and put the hard drive to sleep when possible.

No matter how long I leave it, it won't sleep. It will dim the screen, but the drive keeps spinning and it comes straight back instantly if I touch the screen. This obviously keeps draining the battery which is annoying.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

ville_the_kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 04:48 PM

I've got the same problem except I know why!

I had a tech fix my crashed screen and when replacing it he dislocated the magnet that is supposed to make it fall asleep it is located underneath the top bezel...

Did you open up your TiBook lately? At least it is one reason for it not to fall asleep properly...

Cheers!
Den som l�nge levat under valv av frost...

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 05:08 PM

No, it sleeps when you close it, but not when you leave it open on battery power. It should sleep after 5 minutes with the top up, to preserve battery power.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

bitjumper
Jan 7, 2004, 05:19 PM

I might have the same problem. But it is intermittent. Sometimes it goes to sleep after the timeout, sometimes it doesn't. All was very reliable until the slew of updates when Panther came out. Honestly, I'm surprised each time I find my PowerBook sleeping - but it does happen occasionally.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with what applications I have running.

Erik
( Last edited by bitjumper; Jan 7, 2004 at 05:49 PM. )

uv23
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 05:40 PM

I have found that if I have made any connections on the local network, my PB will not go to sleep.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 05:31 AM

Bump to an slightly dated post.

I've suspected for a while that my RevB 12" PB with 10.3.3 has a case of insomnia, and its true It used to sleep fine when I first got it last year, but now it simply doesn't sleep by itself unless I close the screen.

Here's what I've tried: restarted the PB in safe boot by holding shift key during power on and logging into a newly created user account. with my energy saver panel in system prefs set to turn off monitor and sleep at 1 min, all it does is blank the screen after the 1 min.

PB blues ... I need advice to get my PB to sleep!

Squozen
Apr 28, 2004, 06:38 AM

Maybe you spilled coffee on the keyboard.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 08:27 PM

I've been trying to sort this out for ages and still got no further. I've tried all the things that have been suggested, like resetting pmu etc, I even did a complete reinstall of the os when Panther came out.

Nothing doing. The screen will black out but you can still hear the drive spinning. It really bugs me when I forget to sleep it and come back to find the battery dead.

J.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2004, 08:49 PM

Check whether your Mail app downloads new emails automatically.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 11:27 PM

Some software can make your PB unable to sleep, below is from the Apple's support website. But I safebooted into a newly created account... unconnected to internet too. Is there some other port settings or the like that I am overlooking?

PowerBook G4: Late-Breaking News Article ID:88066
Important information about system sleep

Certain system settings may prevent your computer from going to sleep. You may notice that the screen dims, but the sleep indicator light does not pulse.

Many communications programs, such as PPP, Apple Remote Access, and other dial-up programs, monitor the computer's modem port to check for incoming transmissions when set to auto-answer incoming calls. This may prevent the computer from sleeping correctly.

If the Configure pop-up menu in the TCP/IP control panel is set to Using DHCP Server, your computer may not sleep when your Web browser or email application is open or a file server is mounted on your desktop. Quit these applications and dismount file servers when they are not being used.

The Palm Desktop HotSync function may prevent your computer from going to sleep. To turn off the HotSync function, open Palm Desktop and choose Setup from the HotSync menu. Then click the Disabled button and verify that the "Enable HotSync software at system startup" checkbox is not selected. You will need to turn HotSync back on when you want to synchronize with your Palm compatible device.

If you are using fax software, such as FAXstf, and the software is set to auto-answer, your computer may not sleep completely. The screen will only dim (instead of turn off). To allow your computer to sleep, disable auto-answering. To disable auto-answering in FAXstf, open FaxBrowser and choose Settings from the Edit menu. Then choose the FaxModem icon and select Never from the Answer On pop-up menu.

Note: If you connect a USB device while your computer is in sleep, your computer automatically wakes.

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 07:09 AM

Massive bump to an old thread...

my TiBook has been having this problem again - it happened for a while, then stopped and is happening again now. Nothing has changed as far as I can see (except that its getting quite dodgy in its old age), except I've upgraded my Missing Sync to version 5 (which I'm beginning to think was a mistake as its hosing my syncing like an annoying thing!).

can anyone help me? And/or point me to a good repair shop in Lonond (or is the apple store the best place to go). This is merely for a check-up though

Jerk_circus
Nov 25, 2005, 05:14 PM

I've noticed I'm having the same problem on my 15" aluminum PowerBook (wont go to sleep on its own. Yes, I've set the energy settings to have it sleep. No, I do not have any of the apps from Article ID:88066 running)...I've never had this problem in the past. I think it started happening after I updated to 10.4.3....Maybe it is part of the problem?

Similar problem on my G5 too....Weird

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 12:50 PM

had the same problem again, expect this time its affecting the TiBook when I shut it too...

help my ailing laptop please... poor student, no money, sniff...

Forum Links
Forum Rules