Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme base station: have to get modem model now?

Airport Extreme base station: have to get modem model now?
uv23
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2004, 10:10 PM

I've been having ongoing problems with my linksys wireless router and it may be time to go all out on some more Apple products, specifically an airport base station. While expensive and only having one land line, the network printing and hopefully better reliability are enough to sway me. I was looking at the Apple store however and noticed you now have to get an airport base station with the modem and antenna included. I swear there used to be a cheaper version that didn't include them? (I have zero use for a modem since I connect to a cable modem, not dial up). Did I miss something? Also wondering if there's anything on the rumormill horizon for an airport base station replacement now that airport express is out or if I can be secure in the purchase? Cheers.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2004, 10:32 PM

Review this forum over the last several weeks. Apple changed their offering to a) the "modem and external antenna" version of the AEBS, and b) dropped the price-to about mid-way between the old non-modem version and the old modem version prices.

You don't have to go with Apple's higher prices if you just want a wireless router solution that supports a print server. Siemens' model 2624 wireless router has a print server, and there are others that just don't come to mind at the moment. If you shop, you can find Siemens wireless routers for significantly less than $100-and they have 4 wired ports...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules