Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quicktime performance in OSX still lagging....

Quicktime performance in OSX still lagging....
Mac-arthur
Forum Regular
May 3, 2001, 02:17 AM

I was hoping this last update 10.02 would do something about this but it did not.

Try Apples new iBook movie fresh off there site and run it a default size.

9.1 perfect play back solidly at 30 fps with occasional drops to 29 or 28 audio is sync is excellent.

OSX play back is choppy hovers around 22-24 fps with drops to 16 fps audio sync is so off its comical.

Even Quicktime in classic mode outplays the native OSX quicktime with better sync and frames rates approaching 30 and drops usually in the high teens.

Apple is advertising Quicktime as being tied tightly into the OS in X.
It needs a lot of work. I hate having to boot back into 9.1 just to see a movie at its best.

My rig if anyone is interested:

Beige g3 533 (thats a 450 overclocked with extra cooling fan!)
320 meg ram
pci Radeon 32DDR
OSX 10.02 on its own 5 gig partition.

Arthur

"the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

hey
May 3, 2001, 02:27 AM

Mac-arthur,
How can you tell what the frame rate of a Quicktime movie is? I'm curious.

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 3, 2001, 03:25 AM

I'm playing the iBook movie right now while listening to MP3s and typing this. It is running very smoothly, the text editing is dog slow however. The video does get a little choppy when I try to do six things at once.

B&W 350 tower, 180 MB

QT in the beta was unusable for me but I have no complaints with it now. It could be the driver for your video card. Judging by the wide range of experiences of people on this forum I'd say that hardware support is still very uneven.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

JLL
Professional Poster
May 3, 2001, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by hey:
Mac-arthur,
How can you tell what the frame rate of a Quicktime movie is? I'm curious.
Press cmd-I when the movie is playing.

------------------
JLL
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2001, 04:51 AM

Maybe I missed something or I'm playing the wrong movie but the one downloaded was encoded at only 15fps.

[This message has been edited by ckohler (edited 05-03-2001).]

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2001, 04:58 AM

The movie you download depends on the connection speed you specify in the QuickTime control panel. I think he refers to 'ibook_intro_T1.mov'

It plays fine (30fps) on a G4 Cube 450 in original size and full screen. Sound was horribly off sync while playing in Internet Explorer and OmniWeb though.

Developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2001, 05:21 AM

Ahh.. my mistake. I upped the connection speed in the System Preferences and downloaded the big version.

On my Cube 450 w/320mb ram it plays at 30fps just fine in OSX. One interesting thing I did notice was that if you set another window over the video, the frame rate drops slightly due to the dropshadow being rendered upon it. Still.. it does run fine otherwise.

Mac-arthur  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Ahh.. my mistake. I upped the connection speed in the System Preferences and downloaded the big version.

On my Cube 450 w/320mb ram it plays at 30fps just fine in OSX. One interesting thing I did notice was that if you set another window over the video, the frame rate drops slightly due to the dropshadow being rendered upon it. Still.. it does run fine otherwise.

Ah well guess your g4 450 kicks my g3 533 in the butt for running OSX Quicktime (no surprise there!).

On a positive note apple just released the iBook2 with a 500mhz g3 on a 66mhz bus with a video card inferior to my Radeon. So I think by the July update when OSX will be installed by default on these machines my olde beige box will be running Quicktime just fine!

Arthur

"the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2001, 12:55 AM

There may be more updates for your video card yet in OS X. I can run that movie fullscreen in OS X with no lost frames on a PCI G4/400 with the stock ATI Rage 128 (not even Pro) PCI card in the fast PCI slot. This Yikes G4 is essentially a B&W G3 with a G4 chip inserted. 320 megs of ram but nothing overclocked or anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules