Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing OS X on an Older Powerbook

Installing OS X on an Older Powerbook
Plant7575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 02:36 PM

I have an imac G5 that came with OS X 10.3. I also have an early G4 Titanium Powerbook that came with OS 9. I would like to install OS X on the Powerbook. I have several questions.

(1) Can I use the OS X disks that came wity the G5 to install 10.3 on the Powerbook? or are the disks that came with G5 specific to that machine and therefore incompatible with the G4 Powerbook?

(2) The Powerbook has a 400 Mhz G4 processor. Can it run OS X 10.3? How much slower will it be than running OS 9?

(3) When I install OS X, what happens to all of my files and programs? Are the files preserved? Do my old OS 9 programs get saved in an Applications (OS-9) folder?

Thanks

OreoCookie
Aug 14, 2006, 03:25 PM

(1) Not likely. Apple usually ships install disks specific to that machine. You can buy 10.3 for very little these days, though.
(2) Yes, it can. Slower depends on what you mean by slower. If your main machine is a G5, than it will feel very slow. Not necessarily because OS X is so much slower than OS 9, but because a G5 is a lot faster than your first-gen PowerBook G4. It should be fine for browsing the web, e-mailing, coding, etc.
(3) Your old files will be preserved unless you select to initialize your harddrive during installation.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 07:09 PM

Am running OS X 10.3.9 on a G3 iMac and on a G5. Most things like wbe searching and wordprocessing are indistinguishable in speed. Of course I would not want to run Photoshop on it. The system disk was from a G4 tower I sold to someone who wanted to run Tiger on it, and thus was not interested in my 'old', yet rock solid 3.9. I needed to revive my iBook, so I installed the OS from the G4 CDs and it went just fine. So just try it. The two machines have different processors, architectures etc, and it's working great. Make sure to max out the memory, this will make a huge enormous difference.

Please backup all wanted files on another HD or optical media as no transition between 2 very different OSs is risk free in terms of data integrity!!!! Your apps will work under classic, better yet if you upgrade to OSX native ones. Good luck and enjoy.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 08:48 PM

I actually just installed 10.3 on my Lombard 400mhz G3. Yeah, it's slow but usable. What made all the difference was RAM. Even raising it to 192mb of RAM was noticable, I still intend to put another 256mb in.
SAm

exonym
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 01:13 AM

My main system is a 12" G4 867, so I'm not exactly used to stellar performance in OS X, but 10.4 is also what I consider quite useable on my Pismo 400 with 320mb of ram. Mostly just for word processing, music, and web browsing (with the flashblock extension). It also runs Wipeout XL rather well.

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 04:40 AM

I have Tiger running on a iBook G3 366mhz. Sure, it's around 5+ times slower than the G5 but it's fine for email, internet surfing, iTunes, widgets...

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 06:44 AM

I just installed a 256mb PC133 chip in my Lombard, but OS X ( 10.3 ) only recognises it as a 128mb. I swapped it with another from a Ti-book and it still reads the same. I know that the Lombard only came with PC100, but I saw a few places selling PC100 and 133 for the Lombard. It runs significantly better, even if it says I only increased the RAM by 64mbs. Weird
SAm

manĂ­
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:34 AM

im gonna be loading OsX on a g3 B&W imac, im gonna upgrade it to 1Gb, my aim is to be able to run Creative suite 1 on it. Is this possible?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 01:55 PM

im gonna be loading OsX on a g3 B&W imac, im gonna upgrade it to 1Gb, my aim is to be able to run Creative suite 1 on it. Is this possible?
on an blue iMac, on a B&W tower.........

possible: yes/yes
usuable: barely/a little more so
pretty: NO/so-so

use panther for the iMac, Tiger for the tower
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules