Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > airport problems

airport problems
Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 09:51 AM

I have a PB1.25 with 1.5g of ram. Airport extreme was built in. I have a linksys router at home and have no problems with it at all.

But when I travel...sometimes I get a full signal, but browser can't get latch into anything. And then yesterday I went to a freinds house and his ibook had full signal and my PB didn't recognize any signal at all.

I go thru internet connect and network settings , but I obviously don't know how to set this up to pick up a wireless signal automatically.

thanks for your help

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 12:18 PM

this is hard to say, but there are a few things that you can check.

1. when you are travelling and you can't surf. check your network preferences and see if you have been given an ip address via dhcp. if the network you are connecting to does not give you an ip address you won't be able to surf.

2. on your friend's network. has he set it up that only his ibook can have access to the network? you can set it up that only certain MAC addresses can access the network. if this is not the case. how close to the router are you? since the ibooks have the greatest airport range out of all apple portables.

if none of these help, then maybe you might want to phone apple support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules