Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Beige g3 owners should be happy about the iBook and OS X!

Beige g3 owners should be happy about the iBook and OS X!
Mac-arthur
Forum Regular
May 13, 2001, 02:14 PM

I was thinking seriously that I would have to drop me olde beige g3 and pickup a new g4 to ever run OSX decently (not fast just usable). However the new iBook should give me and other owners of upgraded beige boxes hope:

My specs:

533mhz g3 (over clocked 450) /66 bus /ATI radeon /Ata 33 5400rpm hd

iBook: 500mhz g3/66mhz bus/ATI Rage Mobility/Ata 33 4300rpm hd

So my theory is this: By July ship date OSX will have to be usable if not running extremely well on the iBook. After all this is Apple's first product introduced after OSX and seems to be aimed specifically at expanding user base. And if it runs well on the new iBooks it will run well if not better on our upgraded beige boxes!

"the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

DoeJury
May 13, 2001, 02:30 PM

Well said, good point; but I wouldn't run X on a beige G3 OR new iBook with anything less than 256mb RAM.
JGD

------------------
"When you're young, you look at most of the programs on television and think, 'There's a conspiracy! The networks have conspired to dumb us down!' But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in the buisness to make money by giving people exactly what they want. That's a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic. You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution!"
--Steve Jobs
--

20" iMac G5 & 20 GB U2 iPod

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 04:11 PM

My guess is Apple won't ship the current version of the iBook with OSX installed. I just have a gut feeling, that's all. The G3 'speed issue' is too great to be ignored - Apple won't ship OSX on a G3-powered anything, ever.
*empty space*

fats
Forum Regular
May 13, 2001, 07:57 PM

My guess is Apple won't ship the current version of the iBook with OSX installed. I just have a gut feeling, that's all. The G3 'speed issue' is too great to be ignored - Apple won't ship OSX on a G3-powered anything, ever.
super wrong!

This summer iMacs may have G4s. May or may not - no way to tell. iBooks, however, will certainly still have their G3s and likely will until the introduction of the G5 in powermacs around the same date hell freezes over.

OS X will ship preloaded on not just G4 macs this summer but on all macs. I will bet you a kidney as we have been told this time and time again. There is no evidence to counter this information or than percieved slowness of the current iteration of OS X. Apple has repeatedly said that they will not play the 2 os game and so when one mac ships preloaded with OS X then all macs will. Simple as that.

The only thing needed to be done to the iBooks is to give the base model another 64mb of RAM at a cost of $0 to apple. I think the original poster is correct about the hopes for beige g3 owners and the evidence would point to this with OS X becoming faster with each successive release (except for 10.0.0.3 which did one thing I didn't even care about).

hayesk
May 13, 2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by DoeJury:
Well said, good point; but I wouldn't run X on a beige G3 OR new iBook with anything less than 256mb RAM.
JGD

I'm running a beige G3/233 with 192MB of RAM. It runs fine and is quite usable. It has the Rage IIc graphics cards (the original ATI XClaimVR card) which does slow down windowing, but other than that it's ok.

milhous
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 10:20 PM

G3's will never be able to run X as fast as 9.x pure and simple. You want X to work satisfactorily? get a g4. want X to run decently? get dual g4's. want X to fly like an EXECUTIVE ROCKETSHIP? wait for the G5. just my two cents.

F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules