Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Keynote Themes

Keynote Themes
yellowdog
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 10:40 AM

Where does Keynote keep its themes? If I wanted to have some Powerpoint themes be shown on my theme selection gallery is there some easy way to do that?

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 12:01 PM

The built-in themes are inside the App itself. If you want to add your own themes, etc. you can do it in one of 2 places for it to show up in the selector:

For all users of the machine:
[hard drive]/Library/Application Support/Keynote/Themes (create the themes folder if it doesn't exist)

For just one user, same localle within the user's Home directory (i.e. hard drive/users/username/library/application support/ etc.)

You'll also need to convert the themes in this case to Keynote's theme format (save Theme from file menu), though i haven't tried this with the existing PPT themes, so I have no idea what you'll end up with.

[edit to better specify how to save theme from Keynote]
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

yellowdog  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
For just one user, same localle within the user's Home directory (i.e. hard drive/users/username/library/application support/ etc.)

You'll also need to convert the themes in this case to Keynote's theme format (save Theme from file menu), though i haven't tried this with the existing PPT themes, so I have no idea what you'll end up with.

[edit to better specify how to save theme from Keynote]
Thanks for the tip! I tried it with a few of the Mactopia site's new Powerpoint themes. It does work, but the only slide masters that show up are for Titles & Bullets and Titles & Subtitle. If I open them in Powerpoint I get to select all the master slide options. I'll keep playing around with it, but it is nice to be able to try out some new themes.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 08:50 AM

If there are additional masters that aren't coming over, you may want to try creating a presentation with each of the masters in use in PowerPoint... save that presentation and import it into Keynote... then Save Theme from there.

**Most** PowerPoint templates consist of just a couple of masters (Title Slide + Text Slide, possibly a Print (Notes) Slide) so you may not get more than that... but if you're comfortable working with masters it's pretty easy to make a full "Apple Set" (the 11 default masters) from just about any background, etc. - biggest difference will be the Photo cut-outs and Charts (which are defined in the XML file for each presentation/theme).

If you want to try out more Themes for Keynote that have been developed specifically for it (it seems a bit of a pain to convert the PPT ones, let alone that you'll need to fill in the gaps yourself if you put it into use) there are a few sites out there... both free and fee. At Keynoteuser.com and KeynoteHQ.com you can find links to news + freebies... there's a bit of a community starting to build.

yellowdog  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
If you want to try out more Themes for Keynote that have been developed specifically for it (it seems a bit of a pain to convert the PPT ones, let alone that you'll need to fill in the gaps yourself if you put it into use) there are a few sites out there... both free and fee. At Keynoteuser.com and KeynoteHQ.com you can find links to news + freebies... there's a bit of a community starting to build.
Thanks for the site links - nice to see the interest in Keynote and have somewhere to go to get questions answered. The learning curve hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 02:17 PM

The best Q&A location seems to be Apple's own Keynote Support forum:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

More happening there than anywhere else...

KeynoteHQ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 06:36 PM

There are also some additional themes available for free at KeynoteHQ.com though many user provided themes are no more than a background.

The photo cutouts have transparent areas for the "cutout" areas.

We also have a growing Keynote FAQ online.

Forum Links
Forum Rules